Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

I know the precipitation cannot be forecast this far ahead, but the distribution appears to be larger or longer, depends how you look at it.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Sleeping rough under -15 850s and heavy snow is not a combination to celebrate.

Cannot imagine!  I hope local authorities and charities do their utmost to move those affected to a shelter.  Not two ways - there will be deaths from exposure if the charts come off as they are.

Posted

at this range not be taken serious  but a flow such as whats being shown would cause some continued falls of snow  this is backed up by the precip charts  areas having constant snow for hours on end  flowing far inland   very interesting 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
20 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Mike...

If you read on I have stated that exactly,    and attempted to make an allowance for it, of from 200 to 500%!

MIA

OK, sorry, my bad, you have noted the issue - easy to read this thread too fast when the run is rolling - however, in my opinion this correction would no where near account for the correlation as all three things are much more likely in the modeled synoptics, which you can only take credit for once, and therefore you need to correct for a triple counting error of a significant part of the probability which would be greater than a factor 5, in my opinion.

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

-17 850s knocking on the door again at t207 ?

IMG_1659.PNG

Knock and ye shall enter. Cripes!

06_210_ukthickness850-2.thumb.png.877b9204c7cb73b516da70fcd0e995b7.png

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

So, 06z slightly more delayed the deep cold arrival on Sunday vs 00z. Here's the 00z and 06z for 12z Sunday. But as to be expected this far away. The deep cold still coming, which is the main thing.

T850s for 12z Sunday

GFSOPME00_132_2.thumb.png.923cea3f076414eb2540f4172027b9ef.png00z  GFSOPME06_126_2.thumb.png.b9a4898020b8d2c2acb4387e874ec031.png06z

Some very low dewpoints, down to -15C, progged for southern UK on Monday, even as low as -21C over northern France, which must be record low

GFSOPUK06_150_10.thumb.png.dc8398a273f849f23c9ea881e0d4a48d.pngGFSOPME06_150_10.thumb.png.f69c97e15fef5908b0c6ffe93d1877be.png

Will be a stiff trade in skin moisturising products, e.g. lip balm, with such dry air, just hope it's not too dry to produce much in the way of snow for the south.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

I know the precipitation cannot be forecast this far ahead, but the distribution appears to be larger or longer, depends how you look at it.

If everything goes according to plan then the distribution of snow showers is likely to alter into next week. During this Saturday the continental air arrives via a ESE,ly which then becomes a direct E,ly on Sunday/Monday. During the middle of next week the high will move towards Greenland and when this happens the flow is more likely to veer towards a ENE,ly or even NE,ly.

I cannot stress enough to members how the slightest change can alter the distribution of snow showers and it is this detail you want to look at nearer the time. I recall in Dec 2010 how Lincoln recieved incredible amounts of snow and yet I recieved nothing. This was due to a slight change in the model output which mean't less of a N,ly element to the E,ly and more a direct E,ly. Your local knowledge of your weather will help in these situations. For example I know I require the slightest N,ly element to an E,ly for my location to benefit.

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

OK, sorry, my bad, you have noted the issue - however, in my opinion this correction would no where near account for the correlation as all three things are much more likely in the modeled synoptics, which you can only take credit for once, and therefore you need to correct for a triple counting error which would be greater than a factor 500%, in my opinion.

How do you get to this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'm sorry, but these sub 510 dam thicknesses and -15c 850s just won't cut it :D

Rtavn1683.gifRtavn1682.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Lovely snow event for those snow starved in the SE at 240hrs, as we see a reload of cold heading into Scandi thanks to the retrogressing high.

h850t850eu.pngukprec.png

Posted
51 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I was pondering if a SE flow off the English channel might bring snow to southern  coastal areas... as cold uppers and a SE flow I don’t believe is something I’ve seen before in my model watching years, so unknown territory for me... cheers MWB ?

It's exactly what we should be looking for down here. It used to happen a lot more in the 80s. SE / SSE and cold uppers will pile in snow showers for southern costal areas.

Hopefully laying a nice snowy base for the big one. A full on frontal attack from a moisture laden system following in from the south west!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

On the tarmac @Gatwick-

ECM looks poorly resolved @120 over scandi- out of kilter with GFS / UKMO blend- but post day 5 still gets there

The wave that the models have at about 168/192 coming west through Europe is perfect timing to reinforce the cold -- Also bringing heavy snow from the east- something that never happens these days-

If any of these model land them the snow totals for the UK will be epic

s

Steve, your good at reading output but rubbish at commuting, you actually need to get on the plane:D

right, trying to find my channel low, this has possibilities.

IMG_0600.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Is that an Area low pressure moving across the South East England blizzards 

FC3A64E9-E75E-4820-B1CE-A83A7496D448.png

South of England in its entirety!!!!!! Not just the SE!! :p

5EF6AD8A-0B2D-41C7-BC71-513DF0844412.thumb.png.be215ab48907124471bfb78df4565a95.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

That's a pretty solid reload :D

gfs-1-312.png?6

• Like 4