Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

I'm so relieved. Just did not wanna look this morning . Brilliant runs all round and when I saw the ECM charts like these , I gave it an early morning fist punch . Get in there my son ? . STUNNING 

IMG_1584.PNG

IMG_1585.PNG

IMG_1586.PNG

IMG_1587.PNG

IMG_1588.PNG

IMG_1589.PNG

IMG_1590.PNG

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, craigore said:

Im aware its still 7-10 days out.

One question. Is this a cold dry Easterly ? Or will there be moisture of a Snow kind coming out of Eastern europe. 

Bbc still saying cold & grey right up until nxt Sunday ( no snow.) S.E contingent.

If we are gonna have to turn our heating up full notch we want some kind of reward.. 

C.

I wouldn’t worry it’s too far out to think about snow , it’s hard to pinpoint snow at the best of times 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, craigore said:

Im aware its still 7-10 days out.

One question. Is this a cold dry Easterly ? Or will there be moisture of a Snow kind coming out of Eastern europe. 

Bbc still saying cold & grey right up until nxt Sunday ( no snow.) S.E contingent.

If we are gonna have to turn our heating up full notch we want some kind of reward.. 

C.

As the saying goes "get cold air first, then worry about snow".

You'll almost certainly get real frosts, and provided there's enough convective activity showers will come in. A few model runs have shown low pressure blizzards as well.

• Like 2

Posted

The ECM has been very consistant that the -5C isotherm comes over the east of UK in the first half of 26th. That dhas been been that way the last few days at least.

Amazing ECM ensembles overall again, still some uncertainty regarding exact placements of the high BUT nearly all are deep cold at least for 36hrs.

Lets pray the train keeps rolling, at least I think some form of easterly is a near certainty, but will we get the big one?

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, ptow said:

Initially the real cold started showing on the models as the 18th it is now the 28th

This was a response of the modelling either to the MJO or a QTR 

its clear now that the strength of the Canadian vortex required taking down before we are able to build an effective scandi ridge 

the drivers have changed which makes this broad evolution plausible. 

Clear from the ncep suite that an early arrival of the cold (whilst more likely to verify on timescale alone) drives a bigger risk than the slower solution (other models) because it comes in at a higher latitude and creates more shortwaves. It also allows the Azores trough to tilt ne rather than drive east into Europe. 

squeaky bum time

• Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Surprised no comments on this feature in the north sea providing a wall to prevent the coldest uppers making the journey to the UK....for southern parts anyway.....a little shortwave drama to come?

Screenshot_20180218-090511.jpg

Bringing snow right across us ?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It might prevent the coldest uppers reaching the UK for a time, but it also brings with it bands of heavy snow, so I'll take it..

It might but it could also lead to a quick breakdown. I guess the short waves are being triggered by the cold uppers travelling across the North Sea? They do concern me a little at the present time. Hopefully nothing to worry about maybe someone knowledgable could explain them!

Posted

Some posters here a bit concerned that initially, this El’y was programmed to appear 20/2. But for those of us model watching for years, El’ys nearly always take 2/3 bites of the cherry to set up properly! There’s nothing unusual about this at all... APART FROM HOW FLIPPING COLD ITS GONNA GET!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Surprised no comments on this feature in the north sea providing a wall to prevent the coldest uppers making the journey to the UK....for southern parts anyway.....a little shortwave drama to come?

Screenshot_20180218-090511.jpg

It does prevent the deepest cold but we are still around -10C, plenty cold enough and that shortwave would probably spark alot of convective activity. So swings and roundabouts really.

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, kold weather said:

ECM Control run has one of the smoothest transitions from Scandi-Greenland high I've seen, from cold easterly straight to cold NE. I'm going to go through the rest of the ensembles and see what they have for us.

The control is astonishing right out to day 15. I could add that one of yesterday’s brought us above av uppers arond the high so it’s not the best indicator. However, it does fit well with the extended eps 

• Like 4

Posted

Interestingly, the NetWeather snow forecast chart has very little snow for the UK right up to the 27th and then from the 28th very mild air from the South West. This is very different from last night where they had the UK under a blanket of snow for days. Yes, it is going to be cold for about 10 days but that is about it according to their morning chart.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Another shift down overnight from the ECM mean with it dipping down to around -6c midweek and again at the end

Yesterday 12z

graphe_ens3_php1.thumb.png.74f1239e4054665f5cb0bcf9b3403ac4.png

Today 00z

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.de3c871e535fc778c686baaf1ea5ee4d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

Interestingly, the NetWeather snow forecast chart has very little snow for the UK right up to the 27th and then from the 28th very mild air from the South West. This is very different from last night where they had the UK under a blanket of snow for days. Yes, it is going to be cold for about 10 days but that is about it according to their morning chart.

It just uses raw data from the GFS op, as far as I’m aware.

15 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

I seriously wouldn't be concerning yourself with precipitation 10 days out. 

Thicknesses are Good, and convection should be plenty. 

Don't pay attention to automated forecasts concerning snow 10 days out.

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Incidentally, the ecm op cold pool is currently detaching itself from the n Siberian vortex as it begins its ten day journey to w Europe. If only we knew what was written on its ticket as a final destination ........

Picking up it’s Oyster Card as we speak.

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Incidentally, the ecm op cold pool is currently detaching itself from the n Siberian vortex as it begins its ten day journey to w Europe. If only we knew what was written on its ticket as a final destination ........

It will be interesting to track temps across the relevant cities across Europe as it makes progress. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looks like Brighton.:shok:

ECU0-240.GIF.thumb.png.0bcd79f97737c04b2656ebed150cc3e6.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Well I'm in the doghouse. The missus was trying to get 'romantic' this morning but I was too busy watching the ECM roll out. She now going garrety and thinks I'm cheating on her with a weather model. She just doesn't understand. Why did I marry this woman? 

In all seriousness, stunning stuff over the last 24 hours. In the words of GP - IT'S COMING. 

Sounds like GP was the only one saying that this morning ??

ECM still looking rosey and at least we finally have some agreement that it will get colder from the east. It's just what happens afterwards but there will be so many surprises along the way, especially if we can get that really unstable cold air advecting westwards across the U.K.

there will be snow chances a plenty popping up at T24 here there and everywhere with such a cold airmass and strong easterly flow. 

• Like 1