Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

It’s unheard of end of feb,what sort of conditions are we talking about here,crippling for some I would think

I’m sure the more knowledgable would have an idea, I wonder if it could match the cold of 87 even though that was in Jan. without the sun it must have a chance

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Banbury said:

How good Is that ?

662D0CFC-B99B-405D-AE03-FAD70D8DDD91.png

6E0E84EC-12A7-4F68-928E-B819003FE4FF.png

That is a thing of beauty!! What else can you say??? Wouldn’t normally even view day 10 charts but it’s pretty good from t72 and just serenely flows out to t240!! Great stuff, wishing the days away to get it closer! ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I’m sure the more knowledgable would have an idea, I wonder if it could match the cold of 87 even though that was in Jan. without the sun it must have a chance

In 87 our max temp on 2 days was -6 at midday! !!.I think thats a big ask.great run this morning and altho a dry week coming up beyond that if things model wise work out the north sea will do its thing and bingo.Still a lot of variation to come im sure but imo the evolution will see any heighths post part 2 ssw move to greenland

Posted

Have to give massive credit to Chino and Catacol who called exactly this over a week ago!!

Also the Met have been very consistent about cold easterlys when let's face it their usually the opposite 

• Like 8

Posted
18 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

It’s unheard of end of feb,what sort of conditions are we talking about here,crippling for some I would think

I'ts not unheard of, it has happened before. 

Late Feb '62

NOAA_1_1962022606_1.pngNOAA_1_1962022618_2.png

As for conditions, cast your mind back to the second week of March 2013 when he had that brief but very cold easterly blast and project that two weeks earlier. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just to show how unbiased, fair and balanced i am...here are a few mild charts from the Gfs 00z:D

00_276_mslp850.png

00_288_uk2mtmp.png

00_324_uk2mtmp.png

00_348_uk2mtmp.png

00_360_mslp850.png

flowersnowdrop.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I'ts not unheard of, it has happened before. 

Late Feb '62

NOAA_1_1962022606_1.pngNOAA_1_1962022618_2.png

As for conditions, cast your mind back to the second week of March 2013 when he had that brief but very cold easterly blast and project that two weeks earlier. 

Hi Kevin, do you know what the temps were at that time?

If anything the EC00z has even lower uppers..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Good grief, I nearly fell off my chair when I got into work and saw the EC! That is some severe cold, would bring heavy snow showers well inland with borderline blizzard conditions in places. Shame it's so far away!

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Have to give massive credit to Chino and Catacol who called exactly this over a week ago!!

Also the Met have been very consistent about cold easterlys when let's face it their usually the opposite 

I would urge caution, it hasnt happened yet, some stunning output though, we have a much higher chance of the elusive convective deep cold Easterly this time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

So the initial Easterly is now in range and we can be confident of it developing. The ENS show good support out to around the 24th for gradually declining temperatures

GFSENS00_52_0_205.thumb.png.cb42380295ac9a7751654be0a7344647.png

Beyond then the spread goes mental, the op is on the warmer side in the extended range but not completely without support, there is a bigger cluster for colder weather to continue.

Whether we can get the deep cold in as cleanly as the ECM remains to be seen, I suspect there will be more shortwaves in the flow, this can work to our advantage bringing snowfall into the East but it could also deflect the coldest air North or South of us, so lots of uncertainty going forward but we're getting closer, now we know the initial Easterly is a go, we're sitting in a good place.

No major backtrack from the models this morning, GFS, UKMO, ECM are all very good.

• Like 2

Posted

Hard to believe the Ecm 00z is a mild outlier....just kidding, I meant the Gfs probably is in low res!!:D:whistling:

Posted

ECM maximum day time temperatures for Tuesday 27th from this morning's run.

ECM Max Temps.png

27'F is roughly -2'C.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM maximum day time temperatures for Tuesday 27th from this morning's run.

ECM Max Temps.png

27'F is roughly -2'C.

It's even "better" than that in the SE!

Maps 18-02-2018 07 (1).png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I don't know Nick, Aviemore -4c..

Posted

You have to think this is building up to something special. The old no smoke without fire thing. We've had run after run of fantasy synoptics from different models; either there is actually an issue with the mods being over-adjusted for cold on the back of an SSW or we are on the cusp of the best UK winter weather for years. Every run just seems to get better and better, the only way from here has to be down.

Posted

Anyway, the 00z model trend for the week ahead is a mild monday with patchy rain as we will be within a warm front sector, but that's the only mild day as winds then turn easterly and gradually freshen with temps dropping a little each day from tuesday onwards but also becoming largely fine with increasing amounts of sunshine ?but with frosty nights...and then things could become very exciting with snow, drifting and severe frosts and wind chill etc..:):cold:  

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

All formats should be represented with charts like these ;) 

insanely cold days 9/10! 

IMG_3339.thumb.PNG.6b2a6f78091e14526faef9e30630e09b.PNG

IMG_3340.thumb.PNG.4d9abe2b5d5439fe36ebab193bbaa938.PNG

And with these kind of charts popping up left right and centre from various models on various runs you'd have to say we are in with a shout of something similar actually verifying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Best set of ECM ENS yet. Hopefully the milder members have decreased again (awaiting graph). Mean looks around -8/-9c 850hpa Day 9/10

Ens also better than the op before +144

• Like 2

Posted

Think bluearmy said something about this yesterday, GFS takes the high pressure too far North so we have annoying shortwaves deflecting the main cold and we become far more vulnerable to attacks from the Atlantic. We may have to wait longer for ECM and UKMO, but I would prefer them if it meant the Scandi high being closer to us.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

<peeps in><thanks weather gods for good output this morning>

Please continue to keep it friendly - there’s oodles of space in the Ramps thread and a dedicated cold spell thread thread to wax lyrical on winters gone by, it’s not that those comments aren’t interesting, they are! They just tend to derail the discussion :)

• Like 7