Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

The short wave is on the 12z it has featured in the last two gfs runs. Also on the ecm.  Nick did allude to this happening with the depth of cold so that we could all keep track when the models came out.  I would love like every one else for an epic end to winter but we have been here so many times with the models getting into the reliable for it all to go belly up due to a shortwave. I can see this going the same way and watching Europe get the mother load of snow and we are left with dregs.  I would love more then anything to be wrong but these pesky short waves are not going to disappear or evaporate ?

Its a risk and therefore shouldn't be discounted, but a lower risk than usual I suspect. Even if this does happen I think we will still get a punchy cold spell but its the difference between punchy and epic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Incredible run following an incredible few days of model watching.  I genuinely believe that the best 3 runs I've ever seen have all happened over the last few days.  For those people saying that 'it's always at 240', well it's now at 180 according to this run.  The consistency between the ECM and GFS at 200 hours plus, showing high level blocking bouncing between Greenland and Scandi, is notable and puts us right in the bullseye of a proper long fetch easterly.  

Nothing is nailed and we are due a day of downgrades, also we need to see where this sits in the ensembles (surely right at the bottom), but there's so much going for cold at the moment, surely our time has come?!

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

There's something in the water with regard to models reaction to the SSW event... they're clearly not geared up to deal with this particular data scenario and tbh neither are any of us mere mortals.

Certainly going to be interesting and potentially full of surprizes over the next week as they (the model data crunchers) adjust..  

The pro's with the data hidden from us are better placed; ukmo et al' as opposed the flip flop GFS and Brazilian model interpretation :crazy: 

Edited by Pixel
spwellin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

A glance through the 18z ensembles at T102 suggests that support is increasing rapidly for the development of an intense Scandi high. Phase 1 of getting things set up to our NE looks like its going to succeed. 

Next step is to not avoid any awkward shortwaves forming in the cold air to our east like a few other members have mentioned. That stopped the core of the cold air in February 2012 hitting our shores. However with an Azores low instead of a high this time we have less to worry about.
image.thumb.png.0622011d11cb858d65b5d4a4e498921d.png image.thumb.png.e7e4bfba3a666f266e9400601436b93e.png

Still cautious but belief is increasing this may come off.

Being born in the late 80's I cannot remember a truly cold easterly hitting us. That has to be the best run of the internet era.

• Like 4

Posted

18z GFS ensembles areif anything faster than the 18z run, many bringing in cold around 144hrs. Those runs are not as cold as the runs that delay the cold (those goto -13/14/15) but they are still by large sub -10C.

Just to put into context, the 2009 Feb snow event came from a small cold pool of around -10/11C which lasted 24hrs...

• Like 2

Posted

Apparently GFS 18 hrs runs like hanging out at coffee shops in Amsterdam! :D

A stupendous run and better in terms of blocking set up.

BA mentioned earlier in the thread the direction of the cold pool and possible shortwaves .

Because there’s a signal for heights to rise to the nw later then it’s better the cold pool doesn’t start off too far north to the east .

Many of the UK cold misses to the south happen because too much energy goes over the high , that wouldnt happen if the height rise to the nw verifies , this would tend to help the cold pool get pulled more nw as it heads into the UK helped by the rise of pressure to the nw.

So for that reason you don’t want the cold too far north at the outset.

Anyway there’s quite a few runs to go before we can be more confident of where the deepest cold will head and we do have to keep an eye on any shortwave development in the flow.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

So, into the GEFS ensemble, here at T252, this thing is practically  nailed on now, you can tell your mum!

gens-21-1-252.png?18

Lol ive seen easterlys fail at t48 nothing is nailed with the beast

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Pixel said:

There's something in the water with regard to models reaction to the SSW event... they're clearly not geared up to deal with this particular data scenario and tbh neither are any of us mere mortals.

I suppose that makes Chiono and Catacol (among others) not mortal then!?!?!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

A glance through the 18z ensembles at T102 suggests that support is increasing rapidly for the development of an intense Scandi high. Phase 1 of getting things set up to our NE looks like its going to succeed. 

Next step is to not avoid any awkward shortwaves forming in the cold air to our east like a few other members have mentioned. That stopped the core of the cold air in February 2012 hitting our shores. However with an Azores low instead of a high this time we have less to worry about.
image.thumb.png.0622011d11cb858d65b5d4a4e498921d.png image.thumb.png.e7e4bfba3a666f266e9400601436b93e.png

Being born in the late 80's I cannot remember a truly cold easterly hitting us. That has to be the best run of the internet era.

Late 80’s you’re a boy lol ‘78 , ‘81 and 87 we’re crackers ....you might remember 91 

If this gets anywhere near those we are laughing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

So in summary 

wow

349C3E11-BEDD-4D25-8EB7-6C87808875C4.thumb.png.782caf67656498f71c96afba8bec92e8.png

wow

017B93E3-3854-407F-B392-8D3EED2A5F28.thumb.gif.cbaa780fb5bd001b1c1f642a24184b13.gif

wow

5816CE44-B2B4-4170-B2A0-E5D7B768D12E.thumb.gif.882da219e1477615503a2a8fb7624c27.gif

gonna be wow

8C68B75F-4381-41F4-9AB2-7291922B89F7.thumb.gif.a3c731c367311172a784d071f5310206.gif

and get back from the stag doo your holyness we need you sober ?

F6BD6690-8A7A-425E-84C9-8E35193CDB14.thumb.png.8793e296eec1d8ee82ed619e22799f06.png

What a day!! I hope @Mucka is getting his beauty sleep for the graveyard shift! 

There really is no better place to be than here when the models are this good! I raise my glass of Gin to Ya’all!!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

To my eye it doesn't look like the shortwaves are the issue, rather that the high is too far north and the orientation is wrong. The high being too far north is my biggest worry looking at the GEFS ensembles. If we can get the high further south (ie over central Scandi, not the Azores!) and then retrogress it towards Greenland then I think it will drag the cold pool with it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

So over the last few days we've had a that GFS, that ECM, that ICON, that GEM. It can only mean one thing then surely? RAIN!

Seriously though, the chances of an historic cold spell are certainly gathering pace. :cold::cold::cold::cold:

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Top post! The other variant is the one that forms over the Balkans in response to a deep cold pool and pushes the everything into Greece. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
7 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

I suppose that makes Chiono and Catacol (among others) not mortal then!?!?!

Yup (-:

• Like 1

Posted

OK, the short ensembles are in and predictably the Op is just about a cold outlier.  Interestingly, the mean actually rises at days 7-8, which does go to show that nothing is nailed down quite yet.  However, the GEFS really haven't performed at all well over the last couple of weeks, so I wouldn't fret too much, just food for thought!

Diagramme GEFS

Posted

The trend throughout today has been excellent for coldies. My feeling is if we can get through tomorrow and I can say this the same time tomorrow then it will be game on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

graphe3_1000_292_7___.gif

Just a small spread in the ensembles at day 6 onwards :D

The 00z OP could be one of those milder runs in the morning so the cold easterly is far from nailed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
25 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Hows this for a mean!

MEAN.thumb.png.5dc7bfaf0d3b79b1d06628c07f53b670.png

Never ever seen a mean like that.

• Like 4

Posted

The thing I like about both the ECM 12 hrs and GFS 18 hrs run is the core of height rises is to the north then edges to the ne.

So the UK isn’t at the flabby end of the block as the cold pool advances .

Think of the core heights as the shepherd and his dog and the deep cold the flock of sheep.

If you have that strong block in a good position  it acts to force the sheep into line!

I must stop with these bizarre analogies! :D

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, Cold winter
3 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Fantastic runs today!

I don't believe, as I argued earlier, that shortwaves will change the large-scale synoptics caused by the SSW:

- Ridging N/NE of the UK and HP across the pole

- PV energy slowly transferred to the Pacific side

What you see today is that when the models grasp the large-scale developments without to much disturbances from small to medium scale waves, the crossmodel agreement becomes clear. 

Obviously, shortwaves can have a big effect on local development in cold and snow but the big picture is quite clear now....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

And here’s the ecm ens 

0B8F667D-83A9-4AD0-8E5C-A04682B4EC4C.thumb.gif.d7e77ab3213542acd7d8bb48e5c709bf.gif

pretty good agreement out to the 25th!! We are making steady progress 

• Like 1