Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
Just now, Johnp said:

It still amazes me that so many seemingly clever people don’t realise that not every run is going to be identical to the last and that each run will likely be within a broad envelope of options.

The trend is our friend and that it is to bring in an initial easterly followed by an even colder flow a few days later.  The models are just working out how to arrange the pieces of the jigsaw.

People are commenting on the run, not sure I see the issue with that - it's not like anyone is jumping overboard in their reactions to it..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

GFS up to 132 hours here

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

The beast is coming..

h850t850eu.png

These short ramping posts ought to be removed.:nonono:

Wetterzentrale also updating while Sylvain puts the money in the meter, here's T153. 

GFSOPNH12_153_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

People are commenting on the run, not sure I see the issue with that - it's not like anyone is jumping overboard in their reactions to it..

Not necessarily the last few minutes, more the last couple of days?

I see I’ve managed to get the confused emoji from my troll again too!

Edited by Johnp
  • Like 1

Posted

The 12z GFS run shows how annoying little shortwaves forming can delay the cold moving west. It'll probably still be alright eventually on this run, but that little feature off Norway delays things 24-36 hours.

h850t850eu.png

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

We could do with better undercut earlier to prevent the Euro ridge funnelling our cold SouthWest and delaying the real eye candy.

GFSOPEU12_144_2.pngGFSOPEU12_168_2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

UKMO still on board

UKMO.thumb.gif.c8e9bc977370a86ade2a114aeb49b8bd.gif

Good 12z so far, if we can get the ECM on board this evening then for the first time in over a week we could have something resembling model consensus..

• Like 2

Posted

The beast is incoming at day 7, I repeat the beast IS approaching! Once that high gets cut off and propped up by low pressure in Southern Europe it's a waiting game for fun to begin.

unless we get a south easterly sourced from Greece, that would be just typical ? 

Posted

So this GFS run firmly puts us in good territory, bringing in the colder air by Day 7 - I'm quite happy with that compared to the constant Day 10 we've had for ages, so just need to wait on the back end to see if it's prolonged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

knowing our luck the earthquake will disprupt the SSW - lol

So Just looking at the GFS & My fav the IKON again - I have NEVER seen an easterly better than this- Its better than 1987-

Obviouly theres a chance it will happen but equally still more chance that it would be watered down- but for arguments sake *IF* it did land then your talking masses of snowfall for England - If I remember southend had about 60-70 cm of snow - & I think realistically thats the ballpark we would be talking about- But theres so many buts - les just hope we get something close...

1987 V the IKON - we can see the uppers are colder in 1987 but the IKON has lower heights ( the 500 Hpa temp is -42c !!! )

Please let stay like this !!! 7 days !!

D9CE68D4-458B-4F1E-AA08-978C19D6597A.thumb.png.720dd77118c7ed09201559ccbe3e2026.png925E7822-B1ED-47DE-8116-EEE04695ED1C.thumb.png.727426bc482abc338624ed91f300195a.png

BCB660EB-74D1-416F-BF73-778E8E2CD6AF.thumb.png.02e551aed87bb9807c4210a4a0afe82e.pngEA15B468-5481-411C-AD1D-4545126B0FC2.thumb.png.1ec2b22a8c27078a442e08ea499a300e.png

D9CE68D4-458B-4F1E-AA08-978C19D6597A.png

Kept whole post as relevant.

Here is 1987 as regards to my current backyard....info courtesy of Trevor Harley @Britweather.

Here are the noon temperatures from Gatwick from the 7th to the 20th: 0, -2, 1, -1, -5, -7, -7, -3, -2, -1, -3, -3, -3, -1. There was severe frost damage to plants on the Isles of Scilly. 

I just viewed the 06z GFS......Well just dumbfounded.

Steve, we saw 1987 event as Easterly perfection.....I have to say we are seeing some serious charts  considering 1987 was Peak Winter!?

Love the Earthquake spoiler quip....

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted

Great run again,the upper high may even be a little too far north to sustain a really long cold spell but we will see. Also flow is quite flabby, easterly may get cut off by developing shortwaves in the flow *in itself though that provides oppertunities.*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

GFS brings the cold in slightly earlier on the 12z compared to its earlier run. Looking good in a week’s time. 

5D05CDBF-55B3-4703-A897-2BFB15127B93.thumb.png.6f39c4bc51bcd51c548f9aaaf6b178c8.png5202237B-B8F5-49B6-B32E-51CE37A2F005.thumb.png.ad98a159d99b509a55f9145b3d6e8f4b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Blob of snow destined for the UK, the first of many?

gfsnh-2-186.png?12

Posted

Coldest upper air is to the north this run over N.England/Scotland as the upper high is located further north.Could see an attack from the SW on this run. Not as snowy inland this run IMO due to a much weaker flow, but still plenty cold enough for it.

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Coldest upper air is to the north this run over N.England/Scotland as the upper high is located further north.Could see an attack from the SW on this run. Not as snowy inland this run IMO due to a much weaker flow, but still plenty cold enough for it.

Yes, this is a pretty dry and cold run for most in England, with Scotland being the focus of the intense cold and heavy snow.

Still, at T+200 its just good to get cold air coming in, details will come later.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, reef said:

Yes, this is a pretty dry and cold run for most in England, with Scotland being the focus of the intense cold and heavy snow.

Still, at T+200 its just good to get cold air coming in, details will come later.

I suspect we will see a big snow attempt from the SW, though the upper high is a little too far north for my linking on this run, especially given the near perfect synoptics aloft, weshould aim for perfection here. Its still amazing in its own right.

Posted

Variation on a theme is a good way to sum up this run.

Doesn't appear to match the wording of the UKMO forecasts but the main things is that it once again shows a potent easterly affecting the UK. It's the detail of longetivity and depth of cold and location of greatest snow risk that are the biggest uncertainties now. As you would expect at this range.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1