Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Just catching up, the Gfs 6z op turns into an incredible run with all parts of the uk seeing severe wintry weather both from the east and then north..what I'm hoping is we all get to experience the siberian / arctic chill with snow flurries then heavier snow showers and severe frosts, it would be a shame if any coldies miss out!...anyway, an easterly is coming, of that I'm certain!!:D:cold-emoji:❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

*Photos snipped*

The 06z definitely gives a good spread for all the UK coldies to see something white. I'm happy with any cold, but obviously if the snow can penetrate the entire country that would be great. The Siberian chill lining up is probably going to annoy a few people though, not least the gritters, with that kind of snow intensity we're looking at the road being covered by the time they complete a circuit. 

The key thing to bear in mind here is that this is the furthest into the reliable one of these events has got for a very long time, at this point they usually materialise and with the SSW in the mix there's a good chance of it happening. Which as mentioned above is going to make model watching an arduous task for us coldies in the next week or so. 

Posted

If it wasn’t felt in London then  it didn’t happen .........

30 mins to the 12z icon .......

looking for the ridge to gain more latitude via some Atlantic WAA and the euro low to deepen  - and that Russian shortwave can ‘do one’ around T180 ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Some may say the Gfs 6z op is too extreme but actually, confidence is high now that it will become much colder from the east and I'm wishing time away to get there!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

knowing our luck the earthquake will disprupt the SSW - lol

So Just looking at the GFS & My fav the IKON again - I have NEVER seen an easterly better than this- Its better than 1987-

Obviouly theres a chance it will happen but equally still more chance that it would be watered down- but for arguments sake *IF* it did land then your talking masses of snowfall for England - If I remember southend had about 60-70 cm of snow - & I think realistically thats the ballpark we would be talking about- But theres so many buts - les just hope we get something close...

1987 V the IKON - we can see the uppers are colder in 1987 but the IKON has lower heights ( the 500 Hpa temp is -42c !!! )

Please let stay like this !!! 7 days !!

BCB660EB-74D1-416F-BF73-778E8E2CD6AF.thumb.png.02e551aed87bb9807c4210a4a0afe82e.pngEA15B468-5481-411C-AD1D-4545126B0FC2.thumb.png.1ec2b22a8c27078a442e08ea499a300e.png

It's about as clean as an easterly gets. What intrigues me is that if such a scenario happens, the convection would be epic if the sun manages to break out given the extreme cold uppers above.

If the sun came out maximum temperatures would still be below freezing, if the sun doesn't come out I would expect record low maxima for the time of year.

If it happens....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

icon-0-78.png?17-06 icon-0-72.png?17-12

Going to be picky here but it's edged a bit toward the consensus a bit here with the Atlantic trough extension suppressing the initial ridge a little more. 

icon-1-81.png?17-06 icon-1-75.png?17-12

Makes quite a difference to the uppers for eastern parts. Not a lot of change in surface conditions though, maybe a 1*C increase in max temp. Still more of an E flow than GFS has so not as 'mild' as that model's been putting out for Tue.

As you may have guessed, I'm killing time here while the run evolves toward where any changes will be much more important.

• Like 1

Posted

ICON looks bit worse at day 4, angle of WAA and heights not as prominent as it's morning run.

Pressure much higher to our south, i do not like that trend at all!

IMG_0218.PNG

IMG_0219.PNG

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
36 minutes ago, Southender said:

Correct Steve. About 65cm here in Jan ‘87. As a 7 year old it was up to my chest and above my head in drifts. As you say unlikely to happen probably ever again, but we can dream. 

Try being stationed in Germany -16 during the day.

Hopefully the Easterly will be ushered in quicker than expected after this weekends outputs.

If my memory serves me correctly some of the best falls of snow from the East started with snow grains blowing in the wind for a couple of days freezing the ground and then :bomb:

EDIT let the knee jerking begin :nonono:

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Not the best start to the 12z, ICON has everything further South

ICON.thumb.png.f16c4142712e9c6f62813c523667011e.png

Lets hope that's not a trend that continues on the other models.. 

Posted

Shows you how that minor angle tweak has a knock on effect to the angle of the easterly along with the pressure rise to our south... the icon is still decent but not in the same league as this morning.

IMG_0222.PNG

IMG_0223.PNG

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not the best start to the 12z, ICON has everything further South

ICON.thumb.png.f16c4142712e9c6f62813c523667011e.png

Lets hope that's not a trend that continues on the other models.. 

I might be wrong but GFS looks better at 54 for the Easterly setting up quicker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

It can’t be a trend if it’s only happened once :)

• Like 3

Posted

At this stage I'm reading this not as a harbinger of a trend that other models will follow, but an adjustment toward the GFS 06z, which is hardly surprising given that the previous few ICON runs have been pretty much optimal for getting the cold west as soon as possible.

I think it will be very telling whether the model can still move the deep cold across the UK by Sunday morning. Part of what allowed such a quick move of the deep cold on the 00z run was the Atlantic running over the block a bit and 'ironing it out' so a more NE rather than NNE angle to the eastern side of the trough is not necessarily a problem going forward provided that is only for Wed-Thu with the trough then disrupting against the block. 

That crucial caveat is about to play out on this run and the break away of a trough some way SW of the UK is looking rather messy. Tense isn't it?

icon-0-123.png?17-12 icon-0-135.png?17-12

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I would say it's a bit like my front room, not a lot in it Ali:D

• Like 1

Posted

Now the 12z runs are coming out this thread will no doubt get very busy, so if you could be so kind as to consider which thread your post should be in then it will make things more enjoyable for all and save the team work removing posts.

For discussion on today's Earthquake:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/47470-earthquake-activity-thread/

SSW related cold spell discussion:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Model moans and ramps thread:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

Many thanks.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Good spot, some improvement now more evident as of +69.

ICON and GFS meeting in the middle perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

The ICON is like a pace maker, you have done your job now step off the track son.

gfs-0-84.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Good spot, some improvement now more evident as of +69.

ICON and GFS meeting in the middle perhaps?

Yep looks much better at 84

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Worth noting that the latest from the Met Office is for a dry E/SE airmass later this week and into next weekend so charts like this;

iconnh-0-141.thumb.png.84f5c000131b607d1dce1ec634a01c94.png

Might not be a million miles away from the general expected theme here.  I expect, initially at least, a lot of the 12z output to have the high closer to the UK than most would like, hence the dry, SE theme setting in.

The "snowy easterly" for this week (if ever there was one) has sailed and IMO, we are looking at cycle 2 to get a colder, more unstable continental airmass to the UK in the following week.

I'm confident a colder period of weather will hit our shores, it's just going to be a longer, drawn out process than most would like.  Better late than never as the saying goes.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

ICON gets there in the end, perhaps delayed by a few hours but nothing shockingly bad. GFS whilst a poorer start is ironically better by 90hrs with more of an Easterly flow than the previous run.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM1-168.GIF?17-12 icon-0-156.png?17-12

Even though the ICON 12z now has a bit of that upper air warming related to a flow off the Alps for Saturday, the profile either side remains a lot better than the 00z ECM.

• Like 3