Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Where do we go from here?  

gfs-0-186.png?18

My starter for 10 is the low 1500 miles east will strengthen the block, the low west of Ireland can only go under, the result a mega Ely - again.  Could be wrong mind!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Being the weather geek I am, I have noticed over the years that those fax charts are only ever modified against the ukmo raw at around the 3 day timeframe. Days 4 and 5 (the late evening updates) always mirror the ukmo raw. 

Perhaps Friday is pub night at the Met Office and they just rush to get out ! :D

I would be shocked if the UKMO is correct against the ECM op and mean at day 4.

Even the GFS is much better. We’ll see in the morning .

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Genuine question, can anyone recall the last time it didn’t and the reasons why?. 

Can't recall the 96 or 120 fax charts diverting from the ukmo raw in recent times but the 72 and 84hr charts have been modified over the last couple of days - to ecm and icon way of thinking. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

My rather simplistic view is the cold is coming next week whatever way you slice it. It’s a case of whether it’s mid week or later in the week. When it arrives we will all know about it and for some, remember it for a long time...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Perhaps Friday is pub night at the Met Office and they just rush to get out ! :D

I would be shocked if the UKMO is correct against the ECM op and mean at day 4.

Even the GFS is much better. We’ll see in the morning .

Lol, I think every night is pub night at meto as like I say, the late night 96 and 120 charts are always carbon copies of the ukmo raw output. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The cold is getting closer on the pub run ?

IMG_1549.PNG

BIG EASTERLY INCOMING ???

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Genuine question, can anyone recall the last time it didn’t and the reasons why?. 

Well on my Met office open day visit last week they said the UKMO model is the best up to 3 days, together with ECMWF which slightly out performs it, in the UK. This latter part being bold for a reason as in other parts of the world it isn't always the case. Plus in general in the 72hrs area the spread of models is usually fairly tight so differences not massive. What was interesting was the suggestion they gave that model definition was unlikely to improve much further as 'computing power' is not really the limiting factor - data density at T0 is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

THAT is one staggering cold pool out to the east,colder than the 12z:cold:

gfsnh-1-228.png?18

Posted

Big trend since yesterday's ecm 12z op for brutal cold to head towards us - yes 'us' from Russia. Amazing model watching at the moment. Absolutely intoxicating! 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

It has in the past. Can’t say I’ve had much practice over the last few years checking day 5 faxes religiously!

and the Beeb aren’t the met office any more so that conduit is now shut. !   We could yet see the slightly slower route verify which would be around day 8 for the deep cold to reach us. 

It  should be noted that the 12z eps suite was a little less cold than the previous one and the largest cluster went a bit Atlantic in  the extended as low euro heights faded a bit and allow an upper flow south of west to establish - not unlike the wording of the ukmo extended but a little quicker. the geps also seemed a bit less sure. Suspect this could be down to the next downwelling wave messing with the modelling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.bf5946f8d15b8d2c94049f2f3985e246.png

Interesting....

Got challenged on this post being off topic - best I add in some more commentary - apologies 

This shows the lagged SSW artefact and the effect of the vortex split via the weaker vortex segment and propagation into our locale, given the nature of the split I think the cold element shown here is not in question - it is the nuance of the wave breaking and how that supports the manifestation of the block.

Given the last 48 hrs of modelling and the flip with the wave breaking - I thought my initial post of > cold arriving > interest in evolution with sufficient support from the ECM 12 z would explain, sorry if not!

simply put we see the gfs 18z follow the ECM programming for the transfer of cold, how we get here open to interpretation but having to my earlier posts point the best verifying model known to man on board is good, plus an ensemble suite backing this - also good - hope that explains

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I don't mind you posting tripe A but I draw the line when honesty is lost.

BBC forecasters yesterday and indeed for several days, at the end of each forecast I have watched, have mentioned it turning much colder, I believe was the phrase they each used.

Indeed so - I posted last Saturday that the Met office forecaster I was speaking to said 70% chance of cold after this weekend which was in his words a very high degree of certainty at that range. That obviously leaves 30% chance of it not doing so. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Holy cow:shok:

not far off now.

gfsnh-1-252.png?18

41 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Also just to note some of the absolute coldest ECM ensemble runs don't really get any easterly thrust going until about the 25th, but they really are severe once the cold air floods west. Coldest run gets *-20C* into Kent!!

What number is the - 20 run? Tcheers

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Pretty overwhelming support for ridge to build to the N and NE from the 12z EPS clusters

T+144

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018021612_144.thumb.png.b21347dee74fd380d96017deb74e593a.png

T+192

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018021612_192.thumb.png.582845e2fb0a2b4b7c508b040b1fe071.png

Be interesting to see in the morning if EC sticks with the quicker build of pressure to the NE and introduction of the easterly and GFS comes on board or sticks with it's slower evolution to an easterly. Whatever way, the Atlantic is hitting the buffers and blocking will be in control, just need to see some agreement on where the block sets up exactly. But given the 12z EPS guidance, block over Scandi seems favourite atm.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Not all plain sailing on the clusters - a 20% cluster sticking to this morning's GFS solution.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018021612_192.

But of course that means 80% on the cold side.

Perhaps a little too soon to be exploring D11-D15, but it still looks like a NW height rise is the overwhelming favourite:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018021612_300.

The daffodils won't like that!!

• Like 5

Posted

ECM too quick and GFS too slow?

Middle ground scenario on the arrival?

Cold spell begins this time next week give or take?

Watering down on the depth likely. But, it’s coming...

Edited by Southender