Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Next frame will see the high tilt giving us southeasterly winds because of the pressure from the low to the southwest, we could ideally have the Mediterranean low further east in a perfect world aswel but still very much a good run 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
2 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

We might have to wait until a little longer before we MAY feel it's full impact. 

Wednesday instead of Tuesday ? 

• Like 1

Posted

What catches my eye is how strong the vortex is over Canada at 168hrs....There might be deep cold to our East but over Canada looks incredible.....surely if the stray warming is that record breaking we should be seen better heights to our North soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
5 hours ago, jules216 said:

This is precisely what I was eluding to in my previous post today,the +NAO has been omnipresent for past 5 winters now despite some favourable background signals and I believe as nice as some re- analysis look,we can not explain the persistent nature of +NAO then all the teleconections have to be taken with a dose of scepticism, we have been burned out a lot with eye candy collapse at  last minute,some put it down to solar influences,but I suspect the SST in Atlantic are key with the lack of Atlantic tripole  signature,scupering shorwaves poping up etc.,there has been very little discussion about it in mods,but a lot about enso,strat,mjo,but for us surrounding SST and AMO must hold a key importance 

Worth checking out correlation data here that links strength of the Icelandic Low with conditions in the North Pacific. Masiello produced a really good visual graphic earlier in the season demonstrating that when pressure is high in the North Pacific during winter more often than not it is low in the North Atlantic - and vice versa. As such there is a growing theory that low Barents Sea ice = higher probability of a dominant ridge in this area... and hence higher propensity for a +NAO. Lots more research to be done on impacts of low sea ice, but would appear to be a factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Another boom for 192 ?. Steve murr where are you ? 

IMG_1532.PNG

IMG_1533.PNG

Edited by ICE COLD
Steve murr is missing
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Think you are slightly confused. Westerly's in the stratosphere you mean? The winds that influence our level at 2M are atmospheric pressure at 3 miles, the troposphere. The stratosphere is 6 miles up. It's whether or not those reversal in winds propagate down to what impacts us the most that is important. The jetstream is just a little higher up than the troposphere so that will feel the affects first but may stay just active enough at the current date of interest,.

We might have to wait until a little longer before we MAY feel it's full impact. 

I'm aware of how that works. The winds have already propagated down and models are making adjustments every day to show this hence the backing back of the PV to our West with every run!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
9 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Think you are slightly confused. Westerly's in the stratosphere you mean? The winds that influence our level at 2M are atmospheric pressure at 3 miles, the troposphere. The stratosphere is 6 miles up. It's whether or not those reversal in winds propagate down to what impacts us the most that is important. The jetstream is just a little higher up than the troposphere so that will feel the affects first but may stay just active enough at the current date of interest,.

But you can literally see that the energy has NOT gone over the top between T96 and T144:

T96

ECH1-96.GIF?16-0

T144

ECH1-144.GIF?16-0

What's being modelled here is a quick tropospheric response to the SSW. Whether it's correct or not remains to be seen. (and I won't be convinced until the UKMO joins in)

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

T192 heading towards epic territory

ECM1-192.GIF?16-0

Detail still to be ironed out but the basic cold evolution in the early part of the run nailed surely?

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
3 minutes ago, Raythan said:

Wednesday instead of Tuesday ? 

I don't know. I wouldn't even class myself as an armchair expert to be honest. Probably a few days after Wednesday? Either way I'm really not bothered, just saying it as I'm seeing it

ECM is in the right direction but real issue is getting that pressure over the med to deepen and disseminate over a wider area, and on a more westward trajectory. 

ECMOPEU12_120_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

!!!!..locked in..and with have aligned for prolongment.

And have back up out east .

Snow a certainty- 12z...

Amazing evo-12z ecm

ECM0-192.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Funny if ECM became the most progressive from this. UKMP playing with the idea which is more inline with the GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

WOW! Look at the cold pool heading West :cold::cold::cold::cold:

ECH1-216.GIF.thumb.png.f8b12fb9355ca8c772d2b4844250cdc0.pngECH0-216.GIF.thumb.png.863a7287e77c828af645c4d34818c76e.png

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 3

Posted

Another cracking run from the ECM.  If you think days 5-9 are decent, goodness knows what you will think of days 10 and beyond.  Brutal cold locked in!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM is a peach. 2nd battalion waiting patiently in the wings out East as well. Great pattern for a decent and prolonged cold spell

Posted

So - the best model in an SSW is the ICON - well done ICON. Epic 240 coming 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
Just now, mulzy said:

Another cracking run from the ECM.  If you think days 5-9 are decent, goodness knows what you will think of days 10 and beyond.  Brutal cold locked in!!

Yep brutal cold at t240 coming ?

Posted

Strange continuity on ECM between 168 and 192 in terms of flow and colld upper 850's progression. Although, if it get's to this stage I don't think anybody will worry about it.

ECH0-168.GIF?16-0

ECH0-192.GIF?16-0

• Like 1