Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Tropical forcing will get impacted by the strat warming - most likely will get suppressed. Additionally, we have the convective coupling moving towards the far western Indian Ocean, negative frictional torque territory. Put the two together, and the engine house for aam will go into slow speed. We've also been in a solid Nina state for some period, which will have imprinted on the atmosphere. So some reduction in overall aam and negative tendency look the best place to look. I wouldn't go for a big -AAM target, maybe -1SD max given likely westerly additions through 30N-40N.

Interestingly, the likely strat impacts in the high latitudes are best expressed through tropical analogues for African and West Indian Ocean convective centres. Some sense of choreography there ?

Aka MJO > Strat > MJO feedback loop. There's also the GWO in that equation, but it is harder to point out how it fits in.

I wouldn't say really solid Niña atmosphere, the SOI has been into Niño stages at times, and now the AAM has shown Niña the door. Once we get some Oceanic feedback, we can proceed further into knowing how that impacts the later stages of the year. Stepping stones....

I am certainly not going for a big -AAM at that stage. I will be awaiting this tropical -FT :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The already minamal-milder slots evapotating!!..

Very stark signal for cold-deep cold continues...

6z london#ens...

MT8_London_ens (1).png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, jvenge said:

Not sure why the EPS Mean only going out to the 23rd on yours, but the extended shows a drop of the mean between -2 and -3 in the 7 days after.

Also, the one I use for GEFS puts that differently as well. Attached, since i can post GFS output.

Captură de ecran din 2018.02.14 la 12.46.26.png

Are there any of these charts out there with an increased scale?

Annoying it doesn't show below -5, when it looks like quite a few of the ENS hit -6 or even lower!

A good sign though when things start going off the scale....

Edited by Southender

Posted
6 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

NAVGEM on course by day 5

navgem-0-120.png?14-12

Rush hour could be tricky in the E/SE on Monday :rofl:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

About as likely to happen as me becoming king:rofl:

There is an eps cluster that’s isn’t too far from that NAVGEM evolution - been there for the past three suites on the spreads 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Well it's definitely still scatter city ? IMG_1466.thumb.PNG.457e9cc8024b7c83c4c46d9c487dd242.PNG

There's some very cold runs in there still , achally there more than a few . We can't miss the train this time can we ? Certainly been the best set of ensembles for last 4 or 5 years in recent days . 

IMG_1467.PNG

IMG_1468.PNG

IMG_1469.PNG

IMG_1470.PNG

IMG_1471.PNG

IMG_1472.PNG

IMG_1473.PNG

IMG_1474.PNG

IMG_1475.PNG

IMG_1476.PNG

IMG_1477.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Thanks Alastair - I like it when which ever way you dice the assessments, you get the same end result.

As per Ventrice's plot, week 2 looks good for convective wave to be centred with a bit more umph East Africa / West Indian Ocean ?

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.thumb.png.5b50630aa96e429af6654f9852e9a59e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

here's the panel for D7

gens_panel_vlc8.png

Good afternoon Karlos1983.

As someone still very much on a learning curve, I struggle to understand how given the same information is entered into the computer why you should receive 20 different outcomes. Surely it should be the same. 

Am I being too simplistic?

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean makes great viewing for coldies, indeed it gets better and better right through to the end..very cold spell from the east is on the way according to this! ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄:cold::cold-emoji:

21_240_850tmp.png

21_264_850tmp.png

21_288_850tmp.png

21_312_850tmp.png

21_336_850tmp.png

21_360_850tmp.png

21_384_850tmp.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
45 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Navgem is a humdinger 

Screenshot_20180214-120726.thumb.png.b732d9832691e1a79cb922d2ad9cbd6b.png

That’s more like it, plus it’s closer to the original dates that was mentioned, although I really don’t care when the beast comes as long as it comes before spring sets in

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Good afternoon Karlos1983.

As someone still very much on a learning curve, I struggle to understand how given the same information is entered into the computer why you should receive 20 different outcomes. Surely it should be the same. 

Am I being too simplistic?

Kind Regards

Dave

its not exactly the same information. each perturbation has slightly different starting info, to allow for and even cause deviations along the way, to see how the outcomes may differ. the only one that has the same starting data as the op run is the control run. all the perturbations, including the control, are run at lower resolution. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
13 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Thanks Alastair - I like it when which ever way you dice the assessments, you get the same end result.

As per Ventrice's plot, week 2 looks good for convective wave to be centred with a bit more umph East Africa / West Indian Ocean ?

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.thumb.png.5b50630aa96e429af6654f9852e9a59e.png

Hi Stewart - yes - agreed. By week 2 we really should be seeing MJO transition towards 8/1. Fingers crossed we can get the properly positioned high lat block in place during week 1 or 1.5... :-)

Impact of SSW still uncertain. I see Masiello has tweeted latest plots suggesting the 2 vortex shards will not manage to reunite especially quickly and that their first attempt will be thwarted by another wave break. All feels good. If only today was Jan 1 and not Feb 14!!

• Like 2

Posted

Just a quick note - a fairly significant error in my composites this morning - not filtered for phase 7 after all... just for Nina Februarys. Too late to edit - dull of me! Short of time now... but I'll post again later, hopefully with a bit more accuracy this time. :-)

Still - weak to moderate Nina Feb signal is still good as shown.

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Catacol said:

@Glacier Point And just for a bit more fun.... I took out the medium Nina years (our Nina is a curious mix... but definitely more weak than medium) and ran the March composite again for months following a weak Nina phase 7 February.

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

Gulp. With our projected SSW pattern imprinted on top? Bye bye Spring.

In layman's terms, can you relay what this is indicating please.    

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

Ignore my comment on MJO phase 7 because I hadnt filtered it properly... but the gist of the Nina February composite lagged by 1 month into March suggests a continental air flow which would be cold. However the composite is a lot less useful than it should be because of my duff filtering.... :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
8 minutes ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

A locked in blocking scenario..

And deep cold into eurasia-nw europe!!!

Edit; an'out of date below chart...but echos very much the likely prognosis.

DU4C8qbW0AAVZ77.jpeg

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
35 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Hi Stewart - yes - agreed. By week 2 we really should be seeing MJO transition towards 8/1. Fingers crossed we can get the properly positioned high lat block in place during week 1 or 1.5... :-)

Impact of SSW still uncertain. I see Masiello has tweeted latest plots suggesting the 2 vortex shards will not manage to reunite especially quickly and that their first attempt will be thwarted by another wave break. All feels good. If only today was Jan 1 and not Feb 14!!

Interesting to me at least that even contributors whom we probs all hold in high esteem are flagging up the fact the clock is ticking if we are going to get anything interesting from this !!

• Like 1