Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
30 minutes ago, Banbury said:

ECM @240 needs to get its act together 

E0135442-AB8F-40F9-8A17-6700569C492A.png

Yeah shocking chart:cold::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Although ecm is not as good this morning it still has the high going north eventually so I suppose if we are just looking for trends atm which is the safest thing to do then they all seem to be heading in the right way. Once we get high to the north it will only really go one way I’d think. And we won’t be complaining unless you like mild that is!?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO extended has the high a bit further south than GFS does this morning at t168 it might be a bit closer to ECM's run at t168 hard to tell until the NOAA chart updates

ukm2.2018022100_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.db943aa6ce9c33a1c103408b5bc9787a.pnggfs2.2018022100_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.036b24182cc4ae12aac9b96fc89e02f3.png

ECMOPEU00_168_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, SN0W SN0W SN0W said:

Mean not as good as yesterday

EDH1-192.GIF?14-12

No where near as good, clusters may be more informative 

Posted

Ecm looks to be watering down and delaying things again. Never a good sign. 

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 4

Posted

The eps further east with the mean ridge as they respond to the op direction of travel and delayed initial pulse of WAA and eventual neg tilted trough. Spreads are big and pretty indeterminate so I would be having a day off from too much analysis of the charts - the lunchtime Exeter 15 day outlook worth a read.  

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The eps further east with the mean ridge as they respond to the op direction of travel and delayed initial pulse of WAA and eventual neg tilted trough. Spreads are big and pretty indeterminate so I would be having a day off from too much analysis of the charts - the lunchtime Exeter 15 day outlook worth a read.  

As is the existing over-nighter. Fairly instructive, I feel. Certainly favouring the slow ECM evolution for now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Anyone else got problems with GEFS ens graph on meteociel? Still showing me the 18z from yesterday :wallbash:

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Only a few days ago the much talked about Extended EPS went off on one, maybe its time we sop taking these things at face value.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
8 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

graphe3_1000_240_24___.gif
I can get them

Check the date bottom right :wink:

Today's 00z update

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.d2f5d1d77f403dd77c5e3f14bb001120.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Today's 00z update

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.90c3824b93a96a2fcc846011e01095bc.png

Good trend and arguably less spread at the end of the month as opposed to in 8/9 days time. Playing out the slower route or the quicker route but at this stage the end of the month looking cold.

IMG_0565.PNG

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Today's 00z update

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.d2f5d1d77f403dd77c5e3f14bb001120.png

Cheers SS, Control was a peach then! Op went of on it's own little jolly at Blackpool pleasure beach again I see! Generally another very cold set especially towards the end! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all :)

Well, it's fair to say this site went through the emotional mangle yesterday. Stellar morning output followed by what seemed to many as huge downgrades but then discovering the Ensembles were even better than before.

Nonetheless, with volatility in abundance and nerves on edge, it all got a bit fraught so where are we this morning ? Whilst being totally aware of the volatility issues, I'm still going to take my medium-range look at the morning's output.

So I'm looking to the end of next week - Saturday February 24th to be exact - and as always I'm starting with the ECM 00Z output at T+240:

ECM1-240.GIF?14-12

Not as strong for fans of snow as yesterday but the evolution to a Scandinavian HP remains albeit with less favourable positioning and orientation at this stage. A strong SE'ly flow across the UK so you'd think settled and reasonably mild (0 to +4 uppers suggesting temperatures well into the teens) but there's much colder air over Europe and heading our way.

GEM 00Z OP at T+240:

gem-0-240.png?00

A complete change from yesterday. The attempt to push the Azores HP across the British Isles and into Scandinavia never gets started and instead LP develops over Scandinavia. There is strong HLB but it's currently too far away though there is a sign of a ridge building from the south to meet the ridge further north. There's a shallow LP in the North Sea so cold and damp conditions down the east coast and across Scotland but becoming more settled in the west. It's a dog's dinner of an evolution this morning and I'm far from convinced.

GFS 00Z OP at T+240:

gfs-0-240.png

This will have calmed a lot of frayed nerves this morning. The evolution is simple - the HP cell from the Azores north and then NW as northern blocking sets up based on Greenland. The E'ly is in place and the colder air is arriving - by T+240 -4 uppers across the country as a whole and -8 uppers crossing the east coast so much colder with the possibility of snow showers further south. Further into FI there's a chance of very snowy weather for the north while the cold lessens slightly and briefly in the south before a new pulse of colder air as the winds switch more NE.

GFS 00Z Control at T+240:

gens-0-1-240.png

Another very strong chart for the fans of cold. It's slightly different to OP with more heights over Scandinavia but the jet is very far south. Further into FI the output remains stellar with the core of the HP retrogressing to Greenland and a hint of a disturbance developing in the Norwegian Sea and heading SSW toward the British Isles.

Looking at the GEFS for T+240:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=240

That's a very strong and solid GEFS in support of the OP and Control with just two or three keeping the Atlantic in place. The lack of spread at this time is noteworthy.

By contrast, here's the GEM ENS at the same time:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=1&mode=1&ech=240

Much more variety.

In summary, the morning GFS output will have steadied nerves somewhat and the confidence in the GEFS behind the evolution is striking but, that being said, cross model consistency remains elusive. GEM OP goes a very different route and its ENS still have many options on the table including long fetch S'lies and SW'lies.

ECM is in a different place again this morning albeit with HP over Scandinavia and colder at the gates so I'd say two steps forward for the coldies this morning with the consistency across the GFS a huge plus. GEM OP sits and looks an outlier while ECM may or may not be indicative. Within the overall trend of volatility it's not a bad start to the day for cold fans though not as good as yesterday but a long way from some of the OP-led despair of last evening.

Buckle up, I suspect the ride is just about to start again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

So it seems the low pressure that exits the Mid Atlantic Coast of America at around +96 is quite important. I wonder what they make of it state side? 

image.thumb.png.39f3171187725df0d24ab9684965656d.png

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

So it seems the low pressure that exits the Mid Atlantic Coast of America at around +96 is quite important. I wonder what they make of it state side? 

image.thumb.png.39f3171187725df0d24ab9684965656d.png

I thought it was the wave that develops on the western flank of the high and is driven around the high and forms a low that was the catalyst. (to drag the cold air westwards later on)

Edited by frosty ground
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I wonder when the last time the GFS trumped the ECM and UKMO in such a set up is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

Down down deeper and down 

get down , deeper and down 

I’m partial to a bit Quo

0FA36EE9-8219-4FB6-BF5E-677981ECAAB8.png

• Like 1