Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

23 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Met office have updated their cold weather alert to level 3

where is the link on the actual Met Office website?

Must be a nightmare for the Met Office not knowing who is going to get hit with snow, I wonder if red warnings will go out over the whole region just in case?

I imagine the Government are already gearing up for a very busy week!

Edited by Uxbridge90

Living at the base of the North Downs I'm hoping for a brutal snow day so I can go out and 'Hike' up to the top. My folks live in Tatsfield so I can stop in there for a warm up before heading out again.

Here we go, heavy snow moving up from France on Friday, lots of eye candy on this run, 06z.:D

gfs-2-174.png

2 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Must be a nightmare for the Met Office not knowing who is going to get hit with snow, I wonder if red warnings will go out over the whole region just in case?

The red warnings if they come will arrive on the day they are needed, maybe within hours of the event.

1 hour ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Looks like a streamer starting as early as Sunday into Monday morning according to latest Met Office precip data forecasts......if diff to read its the latest forecast for Maximum precip over last 6 hours. Looking at some of the Met office latest forecast data there are some lovely precip charts now coming into view for us.

image.thumb.png.ce05833ebd4ca167d00d19b699da34a6.png

Thats a lovely chart there FSS.:)

just noticed that Dover, Deal and folkestone are the only east coast towns NOT in the met office warning area for snow.  wonder if it will play out like that.

Well just about everyone is shot of some pretty deep falls next week, especially the further south and east you are. I suspect Fridays low will track further south, meaning we miss out on the frontal snow event. 

Morning All. Got the distinct feeling that a Thames Streamer might be in the offing judging by the charts. but hey, I am no expert. would love to see it happen though.

7 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Well just about everyone is shot of some pretty deep falls next week, especially the further south and east you are. I suspect Fridays low will track further south, meaning we miss out on the frontal snow event. 

Even if Fridays low stays further South, the wind direction should in that scenario remain more North of East which ought to continue the streamers for a bit longer instead. :-)

Edited by beng

Just now, beng said:

Even if Fridays low stays further South, the wind direction should remain more North of East which ought to continue the streamers for a bit longer instead. :-)

Indeed, a win either way!

21 minutes ago, Sharpedge said:

Morning Steve, are we nearly at 100%?

yes 97/98 - just wait for the 12s to be T48 for sunday

7 minutes ago, BOMBHEADS said:

just noticed that Dover, Deal and folkestone are the only east coast towns NOT in the met office warning area for snow.  wonder if it will play out like that.

Probably will miss Deal because we have a really powerful snow shield here 😢🙈

12 minutes ago, colonelks said:

Living at the base of the North Downs I'm hoping for a brutal snow day so I can go out and 'Hike' up to the top. My folks live in Tatsfield so I can stop in there for a warm up before heading out again.

I lived in Tatsfield from 1964 until 1986, my mum still lives in Paynesfield road...We had some cracking snow late 70s early 80s. Going up there in a hour or so to make sure the old girls OK.

1 minute ago, loz said:

I lived in Tatsfield from 1964 until 1986, my mum still lives in Paynesfield road...We had some cracking snow late 70s early 80s. Going up there in a hour or so to make sure the old girls OK.

My Folks still live down Paynesfield Road :) Thats where I lived for the 1st 24 years of my life.

The wife and I are actually looking at moving back, the snow being one big part of the attraction for me, oh and baby sitters nearby :)

1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

The SE contingent watching the radar about 4pm Sunday

9B6B3E74-3D3F-46A0-B645-2BF75E4CA30F.thumb.jpeg.172f4438ea50b4c28b9297e5b8782037.jpeg

How's it looking for Crawley mate?

5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The red warnings if they come will arrive on the day they are needed, maybe within hours of the event.

What is interesting when you look at the Weather Impact Grid issued with the warning it says high impact but unlikely

image.thumb.png.2eaa5a56911f4f79db82803423b5ce17.png

I can only assume that this will be raised as we get closer to the time to an amber as the likelihood becomes greater.

As you say the red warnings may only come on the day concerned but red alerts can be issued prior to 24 hours

Lancaster council have a very good document showing how Weather Warnings are enacted upon

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/assets/attach/622/Severe Weather plan v3 170817.pdf

and gives an insight as to the reason why the Met Office are cautious in the use of warnings and alerts.

1 minute ago, FetchCB said:

What is interesting when you look at the Weather Impact Grid issued with the warning it says high impact but unlikely

image.thumb.png.2eaa5a56911f4f79db82803423b5ce17.png

I can only assume that this will be raised as we get closer to the time to an amber as the likelihood becomes greater.

As you say the red warnings may only come on the day concerned but red alerts can be issued prior to 24 hours

Lancaster council have a very good document showing how Weather Warnings are enacted upon

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/assets/attach/622/Severe Weather plan v3 170817.pdf

and gives an insight as to the reason why the Met Office are cautious in the use of warnings and alerts.

but this Met Office link doing the rounds doesn't appear to be accessible via their website..??

Just now, spayne said:

but this Met Office link doing the rounds doesn't appear to be accessible via their website..??

What link?