Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
5 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Same, so far the only people getting really excited over this is over in the model section... Say differently and " DELETE ". Meh, still a week away and it's been delayed a lot so far

As a matter of fact recent model output has pushed deep cold in quicker GFS has -12C uppers in our region by next weekend, don’t bury your head in the sand pretending nothing is happening. It definitely is.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

I’m on about the depth of cold. Not the amount of snow 

Okay, we're splitting hairs then over terminology here as to what constitutes "cold" and "very cold" in a long range text forecast which has no official terminology key to equate the prose used to specific parameters (and for a good reason - no forecast at that range is going to be specific enough to give exact temperature profiles, wording will always be a little deliberately vague), but in the 16-30 day outlook:

"At the start of this period it is likely to stay cold for most"

I.e. - the cold already in place from the previous forecast period remains in place at the start of this next forecast period.

So I think you're having a bit of a worry about nothing, there's nothing in that forecast that is any different from the expectations we already have at this stage :)

21 minutes ago, shotski said:

Not seen you much in the Mod thread snowking. What’s your thoughts on the up coming event ? 

Yes, I find it more fun these days to sit and obseverve the chaos and just chip in where I think it might be helpful.

The main nuances we have seen in recent days stem largely from the energy distribution of the jet stream over the Atlantic crashing into the high around our shores and beyond, particularly through to Wednesday. For this reason, and in addition to the current happenings in the stratosphere, I'm still waiting until then to be absolutely confident of just where our high is headed to and what may be allowed to slide underneath it as a result. 

That said, I just have that feeling that we are on the verge of something special, as I think I mentioned when I last posted in the MOD thread earlier in February. Back then, when you looked at the scale of the stratospheric warming event in conjunction with the near record tropical forcing, it was pretty clear that we would have to be exceptionally unlucky, even by UK standards, to not get at least some notable cold for the time of year in.

If everything goes well in the next few days, we could have something even more special than that :)

Fortunately I'm in Amsterdam Tue-Thur so either way, I should be able to keep myself occupied...

Edited by snowking
  • Like 4

Posted

What are things which will start selling out when it gets cold? Us weather nerds often have time before the public freaks out about it aswell?

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Couldn’t agree more ! Our churches took a lot of homeless in 2010 when it got very cold , me and hubby took down some blankets and soup to the local church ... we ( most ) all love snow but it can cause huge devastation to some and we forget that 

Europe have got some very cold temp but hopefully they have a better homeless system in place then what we have.  

Posted
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Why you say that, we have 5,000 voids in London but we can't home the homeless...if your serious about this campaign your local Member, I do.

I understand we can not house them all. But how many building do you see empty ?  With all the money our government send to Europe some of that could be used to create homeless shelters.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
17 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

-6C uppers that would be ordinary cold, what lays ahead could be extraordinary. I think we’ll see uppers between -10c to -15c outside chance but not impossible of colder. This is a one in xx possible event. 

I recall a few post 7-10 day cold to be a xx possible event since 2013. 

If -14 uppers with a direct easterly are there at T48/T72 then let’s discuss the freezing of bread.

Until then... in my opinion it’s still fantasy.!

Really really hope I’m wrong and we are buried in freezing conditions and this possible event actually materialises. 

• Like 1

Hi people Sunday evening and here we are the same as we were yesterday the nerves are still ticking. I think we need to calm down a bit and let this just unfold. 

Many people will have their own opinions about this upcoming cold and due respect they may be right the way they are thinking. 

We all want this to verefy and I know it matters the most now than any other time simply because of the fact we are fast running out of time. We may be sitting here next week this time and lamppost watching or even sharing out where snow is falling. On the other hand it may not come to nothing. 

The good thing is that we are in a good place and up to now it's going to plan but will it stay like this who knows. Let's just keep fingers crossed that's all we can do. 

But as today ends we can say it's one down and one step closer (taking that nothing changes later in the output). 

I hope Steve Mur can just do a little update for us tonight just to calm the nerves. 

All the best peeps calm and have a relaxing evening. 

Kind regards ????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Sweetdream said:

I understand we can not house them all. But how many building do you see empty ?  With all the money our government send to Europe some of that could be used to create homeless shelters.  

We could house them all. Half of central London is empty apartments. And we get loads back from being part of the EU!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

I recall a few post 7-10 day cold to be a xx possible event since 2013. 

If -14 uppers with a direct easterly are there at T48/T72 then let’s discuss the freezing of bread.

Until then... in my opinion it’s still fantasy.!

Really really hope I’m wrong and we are buried in freezing conditions and this possible event actually materialises. 

Good to be cautious, I know the GFS wants to bring in the cold earlier but most models show the proper cold a week away. That’s a long time in meteorology :) On the other hand, this cold does look increasingly likely to affect our corner of Europe and could potentially be severe. How much, if any, snow we get is a different matter. Fingers crossed we can get a huge blizzard that’ll shut everything down for a few days so we can all frolic in the snow, lol.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

We could house them all. Half of central London is empty apartments. And we get loads back from being part of the EU!

There are a load of empty building around my area and also an old hospital 20 miles up the road.  Rather then sit there loooking an eye sore with graffiti it makes sense to change it into something that will be if a lot of people. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

There are a load of empty building around my area and also an old hospital 20 miles up the road.  Rather then sit there loooking an eye sore with graffiti it makes sense to change it into something that will be if a lot of people. 

LOL, the government won’t even put money into the NHS so there’s zero chance they’ll help the homeless, that’s not their core vote. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Exactly. The homeless are not a money spinner, that’s the problem. All the nasty right wing press of recent years has done a great job trying to kill off the once generous and kind British nature, I hope there are still lots of decent souls out there. If this cold spell materialises, it’ll be very dangerous for those sleeping rough.

Posted
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

We're desperate for a loving Jeremy Corbyn government it's so overdue

Haha, well according to the press, he’s an evil terrorist lover that also colluded with the communists and wants to take Britain back to the dinosaur era. Can’t make my mind up about him.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Exactly. The homeless are not a money spinner, that’s the problem. All the nasty right wing press of recent years has done a great job trying to kill off the once generous and kind British nature, I hope there are still lots of decent souls out there. If this cold spell materialises, it’ll be very dangerous for those sleeping rough.

Yes the nhs is underfunded. And money is really needed. I’m under going cancer treatment. But I count myself lucky that I have a roof over my head and food whenever I feel hungry and the amenities to make a nice hot drink.  I think in so many years to come the nhs will no longer be an option with regards as free unless more funding goes into it. I was bought up to always consider others  that are worse off and it how I have taught my own children. I buy the big issue as it goes to the homeless every little bit helps here and there. I donate on a monthly dad to great ormand street for Children And magpas air ambulance. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol just watched the SE weather and the presenter said at least it will be mild:shok::fool: dry all week 6c by saturday:nonono:

bring it on i just brought spring stuffs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
5 minutes ago, Dami said:

bring it on i just brought spring stuffs.

shorts?

1 minute ago, DonnaThw said:

METCHECK ON BOARD WTH SNOW NEXT WEEK

yes but what does your phone weather app say

Posted
3 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

METCHECK ON BOARD WTH SNOW NEXT WEEK

metcheck? the website? that place still exists?? it was awful for forecasts a few years back

Posted

hiding  behinde the sette waiting for the country file weatherin about 20 mins  time!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

metcheck? the website? that place still exists?? it was awful for forecasts a few years back

STILL ABOUT, DONT USE IT THAT OFTEN JUST WHEN IM TRYING TO MATCH FORECASTS IF YOU KNOW WHT I MEAN, JUST WHEN  WANT TO GET MORE EXCITED

• Like 1