Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Possible breakdown on Friday but before that.

Tomorrow:

Few flurries towards the evening for us possibly

Monday:

Heavy snow showers in the evening/streamers developing overnight into Tuesday

Tuesday:

Heavy snow showers across the region

Wednesday: 

More snow

Thursday:

More snow

Friday:

Possible blizzards, possible heavy snow to rain then less cold? Who knows. But before worrying about a possible breakdown, lets enjoy almost a week of cold and snowy weather, something we've not see for a good number of years down here.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

I'll throw this into the hat.....

Just been informed by my depot that Network Rail predicting 30cm+ for our (C2C) areas of operation....looks like my late shifts next week could be.....interesting  :rofl:

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Nizzer said:

Ta very much. Could not find it for the life of me!

No worries. They're being quite conservative for SE regarding amount of showers etc although it looks like a snow fest further north. Albeit they don't show a chart for Wednesday. 

Posted
Just now, echodelta21 said:

Just been informed by my depot that Network Rail predicting 30cm+ for our (C2C) areas of operation....looks like my late shifts next week could be.....interesting  :rofl:

Hi, I have to take a train journey, would it be cancelled if that happened?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

here is the latest GFS run from now to next Saturday, now it looks a little bit more promising, cold is coming back after a quite mild wave:

giphy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
5 minutes ago, saint said:

I also caught the BBC forecast after the news on BBC One and Thomas did talk of 20cm+ in places and heavy snow fairly widespread. He talked that the biggest risk comes Tuesday and Wednesday with widespread snow showers.

However, it wasn't very detailed and seemed like they were trying to be as vague as possible. 

At this range the pro's won't have a clue exactly where, when and how much will fall . . . there will be surprise accumulations and troughs forming which may only be picked up 6 hours before hitting. The emphasis now moves from the computer models to experienced human input . . .

Edited by Speedbird

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

the C2c operates in S Essex between Shoebury and London . . .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

This was for South Essex....Shoeburyness -> Southend -> Upminster -> Fenchurch St.  I assume it's certain locations only.....can't imagine 30cm+ in London :rofl:

But I have no info regarding Great Yarmouth i'm afraid......I know our contingency plan is an emergency timetable where we try to run a basic service, but I think we might struggle if that amounts comes true.....

• Like 1

Posted

When they talk about next Friday and the south... how far south are we talking in terms of the blizzards?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
13 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

i wouldn't worry too much yet, all the models have a tendency to blow up LP systems at longer range, even the ECM. whilst it is possible, its more likely to take the weaker option, which (in this case) is southwards of the current modelling track. anyway, even if it still brings less cold conditions, it would probably only be temporary. then back to snow.

anyway, thats nearly a week away. it will change. in the meantime, we could see snow not seen in our region for at least 5 years.

Yeah, I totally agree.. Fascinating model viewing and weather to look forward to this coming week:)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Hellboy said:

No worries. They're being quite conservative for SE regarding amount of showers etc although it looks like a snow fest further north. Albeit they don't show a chart for Wednesday. 

Yes, the graphics they used didn't look great for the far South East, but I still think we'll do fairly well in South Essex/kent this week. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

the C2c operates in S Essex between Shoebury and London . . .

Yeah i know but in general, can trains run in that? I am meant to be going from Great Yarmouth to Norwich then to Peterborough then to Doncaster and back again.

Posted
7 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Haha. Won’t be getting the early one out of Southend East next week then

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

Yeah i know but in general, can trains run in that? I am meant to be going from Great Yarmouth to Norwich then to Peterborough then to Doncaster and back again.

I assume they can run, however the issues will likely be frozen points and overhead powerline issues.

Oh, and i seem to recall that in the 90's trans had to stop running due to the wrong kind of snow :-S

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Haha. Won’t be getting the early one out of Southend East next week then

i'd have a 2.5 mile walk from Eastwood to Chalkwell !!

Edited by Speedbird

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

No matter what track that low takes it will be mostly of snow with it either clearing with another front following which would be of rain or it would be back edge rain. So there could be a major blizzard before it turns less cold.

Of course the models have been swinging wildly at the 4-6 day range so take the end of next week with a pinch of salt.

Before then, there looks to be plenty of showers blown across the region.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Isn't it strange how many different, virtually unseen posters, who never comment in the MAD thread, seem to come out when there may be a possible end in sight??? 

Gets right on my t*ts that the trolls come out in force and declare it as gospel, yes it may happen, but as a second SSW has just occurrd surely given what we saw before this epic spell came to fruition, the model runs are getting a lot of conflicting signals and trying to pin the tail on the donkey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, leemondo said:

Isn't it strange how many different, virtually unseen posters, who never comment in the MAD thread, seem to come out when there may be a possible end in sight??? 

Gets right on my t*ts that the trolls come out in force and declare it as gospel, yes it may happen, but as a second SSW has just occurrd surely given what we saw before this epic spell came to fruition, the model runs are getting a lot of conflicting signals and trying to pin the tail on the donkey

Yep, I'm giving it a rest in there for a couple of hours as it annoys me too much!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

i'd have a 2.5 mile walk from Eastwood to Chalkwell !!

I've walked from westcliff to benfleet station a couple of times, would take forever if you have to go to work though.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

No matter what track that low takes it will be mostly of snow with it either clearing with another front following which would be of rain or it would be back edge rain. So there could be a major blizzard before it turns less cold.

Of course the models have been swinging wildly at the 4-6 day range so take the end of next week with a pinch of salt.

Before then, there looks to be plenty of showers blown across the region.

Have you added your post to the MAD thread as well so that some can calm down :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

It seems from the bbc forecast that has just been put up will bring in showers to east anglia up but not so much the south like Dover across

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms
Just now, lottiekent said:

Yep, I'm giving it a rest in there for a couple of hours as it annoys me too much!

Likewise! Although I've "hidden/blocked" quite a few members on that thread which makes reading the model thread more palatable! I'm talking about the serial rampers and doom sayers. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

OMG... BBC Weather showing 15 hours of heavy snow on Friday... (for Bexley) I'm just pleased I managed to get the wine order in this weekend. AND... Met Office showing the same for my area as well so I'm fairly happy with that... bring it on.

Edited by Whereisthesnow?

Posted

I'm sticking with Met Office this week. THE BBC forecast doesn't really show many snow showers at all this week? 

BBC forecasting has gone seriously down hill. 

• Like 1