Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

15 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

The cat found a spot in the sun this morning and came in feeling toasty.

Shows the power returning for Spring, which is why I'm not bothered if the cold spell ends after a week. 

The sun is lovely actually could be a beautiful summer day ( just from looking out the window ) in the shade it’s very cold ... my flowers don’t know what to do ... the daffs that have half come out are wishing they hadn’t 

Definitely slightly milder today than yesterday. Latest BBC forecast showing highs of 0c in Norwich tomorrow and 4c in London. Obviously the colder air will reach Norwich first and spread west, so I expect that high of 4c in London will be achieved early and then the temperature will be on the way down in the afternoon. 

16 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I know Sunday onwards is when the colder uppers spread over us Shotski.........................But Maxes were shown as 2-3c today so maybe the 4-5c for tomorrow is not going to be laughable, that was my point. The sun out of the wind is really quite warm

yes i noticed how warm the sun was too, almost mankini wearing warmth

18 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

To put things into perspective, upper air temperatures are hovering around 0c today and we’re maxing out at 6c thanks to the easterly feed off the continent.

Next week upper air will be down to -15c.....epic!

Thanks for that was curious about the uppers here in Surrey we have managed a high of 4.5c do-4c it really feels cold in the wind

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

That’s a different thread lass ( members show yourself ) :rofl:

12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I feel quite ill 🤢 

98796AC4-CC26-4DE0-BEE6-B2E3AF46AAE5.jpeg

Edited by shotski

6 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Thanks for that was curious about the uppers here in Surrey we have managed a high of 4.5c do-4c it really feels cold in the wind

In a south westerly flow uppers of around 0c would yield maximum temperatures of approximately 11c. The continental feed makes all the difference today to the ‘norm’.

Edited by CK1981

EC1A3552-C003-4FC5-A230-3AC6F9BE7ABC.png

3 minutes ago, danm said:

Definitely slightly milder today than yesterday. Latest BBC forecast showing highs of 0c in Norwich tomorrow and 4c in London. Obviously the colder air will reach Norwich first and spread west, so I expect that high of 4c in London will be achieved early and then the temperature will be on the way down in the afternoon. 

Could be quite a rapid fall away on Sunday evening before the showers come in as we to introduce those ever colder 850hps temps during the afternoon.

Maxes on monday will depend on what sort of shower activity there is, if its constant then probably -1C, if not then probably 1-2C realistic for the peak temp. Note that the GFS suggests this as well.

7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Maybe the would be passengers are waiting for a lift but the vehicle gets stranded so the would be passengers waiting, get stranded too, leaving a stranded vehicle and passengers who didn't actual get a chance to be stranded vehicle passengers.:cc_confused:

My worry is passengers getting stranded inside their cars and the cars getting buried in drifts, this happened a few years back I think in Romania. They were dug out like a week or something later frozen! :(

1 minute ago, danm said:

I think its almost certain the models will underdo the convection, they nearly always do in these set-ups.

Higher resolution models will do better but even they will probably struggle in this set-up, especially with streamers.

5 minutes ago, danm said:

Wow, that's quite something actually - Ian Fergusson stating a 'medium risk' of something akin to Feb 1991. Now that would be interesting!

Just recently heard Tomas Schaf, doing the 12.55 forecast on Radio 4. First of the snow showers, arriving in the east on Monday, expecting a depth of around 4 inches by the end of Tuesday, in favoured locations, and as much as 8 inches, in the same locations, by the end of Weds. Didn't state exactly where but that's very difficult to predict.

I became a member of this forum, in Jan 2005.Some of you may remember me as, TomSE20. I lived in Anerley, right in the north west corner of the borough of Bromley, again in, Thames Streamer, territory. I remember, there was a lot of discussion, at the time, that we wouldn't be seeing northern blocking again, due to global warming, from the likes of Ian Brown, bless him!!

Within a few weeks, we saw a complete turn around, in the synoptic patterns and started to see some amazing model runs, with a plethora, of northern blocking. In that spell, I recorded 13 consecutive days of snowfall, albeit, mostly in flurry form ,but including 2 T/S  events, remarkable!!

The chart below, depicts the synoptic situation, halfway through a T/S event. Ground temps were above normal, after a mild Winter, thus far and the source region, Russia, had had a mild  Winter, to date. I'm pretty sure, there was no extensive snow cover, across northern Europe, either.

25th FEB. 2005

archives-2005-2-25-0-0.png

850s 25th FEB. 2005

archives-2005-2-25-0-1.png

As you can see 850s, no great shakes really, nothing like we're predicted to get this week. So if and when, we do get snow, settling and marginality, shouldn't be a problem.

Just heard News24, use the term, "Beast from the East", for the umpteenth time. Now I wonder, where they have got that from? :D

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the Aperge model a High Res. model?  Snow showers looking very thin on the ground as far as the end of Tuesday; I was under the impression that High Res. models were better at picking up shower activity as a result of convection? I'm still VERY new to all of this, so please forgive me if I'm talking utter rubbish! :rofl: 

Excited for this week though! :yahoo: 

Edited by Ben Blizzard

22 minutes ago, danm said:

Got plenty of snow from that in NE London, perhaps not as much in NW.

Yes east side of London did ok, it was NW of London that missed out. 

This was the rough direction of the streamer that set up, it was a good one for so early in Winter.

seengstrongrelmain.jpg

6 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Just recently heard Tomas Schaf, doing the 12.55 forecast on Radio 4. First of the snow showers, arriving in the east on Monday, expecting a depth of around 4 inches by the end of Tuesday, in favoured locations, and as much as 8 inches, in the same locations, by the end of Weds. Didn't state exactly where but that's very difficult to predict.

I became a member of this forum, in Jan 2005.Some of you may remember me as, TomSE20. I lived in Anerley, right in the north west corner of the borough of Bromley, again in, Thames Streamer, territory. I remember, there was a lot of discussion, at the time, that we wouldn't be seeing northern blocking again, due to global warming, from the likes of Ian Brown, bless him!!

Within a few weeks, we saw a complete turn around, in the synoptic patterns and started to see some amazing model runs, with a plethora, of northern blocking. In that spell, I recorded 13 consecutive days of snowfall, albeit, mostly in flurry form ,but including 2 T/S  events, remarkable

I remember both thundersnow events well, both streamers dumped a couple of inches locally and probably saved what was a locally somewhat lackluster cold spell given the cracking synoptics.

I think a bullseye target of 18 inches by Thursday 12z would be where I'm at at the moment. Probablya fairly sharp fall away from the prime locations but given the length and depth of cold, will be plenty to go around still.

Just now, Ben Blizzard said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the Aperge model a High Res. model?  Snow showers looking very thin on the ground as far as the end of Tuesday; I was under the impression that High Res. models were better at picking up shower activity as a result of convection? I'm still VERY new to all of this, so please forgive me if I'm talking utter dog biscuits :rofl: 

Excited for this week though! :yahoo: 

Yes it is a high res model, but will underestimate streamers at this stage. Surprises can crop up within 6 hours, so expect further developments.

2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

@TomSE12

Shooters hill blur !

Steve, I don't have you or Kold Weather, upwind of me, what am I to do? It's really selfish of you 2, to move!! :D

I relied on your reports , of snow falling.

I'll just have to look out, for the orange glow!!

Regards,

Tom.

Just now, TomSE12 said:

Steve, I don't have you or Kold Weather, upwind of me, what am I to do? It's really selfish of you 2, to move!! :D

I relied on your reports , of snow falling.

I'll just have to look out, for the orange glow!!

Regards,

Tom.

dont worry we will crank up some radar images 

Is my weather station correct ? It's showing 8c in the shade 😮

Wasnt expecting that today 😔

7 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Yes it is a high res model, but will underestimate streamers at this stage. Surprises can crop up within 6 hours, so expect further developments.

Its currently underestimating the precip heading into N.Germany from the Baltic (right disrtrubtion, but not enough) probably will be a trend that will continue into the north sea:

ARPOPSC06_6_4.png

https://m.accuweather.com/en/de/berlin/10178/weather-radar/178087

ps, on the radar, look at Gdansk, that area is topgraphically very similar to the SE and the estuary area, that should give you a good indication of what is to come!

Edited by kold weather

10 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes east side of London did ok, it was NW of London that missed out. 

This was the rough direction of the streamer that set up, it was a good one for so early in Winter.

seengstrongrelmain.jpg

Yep slap bang in the middle of that

Target is north of 10 inches -

The only frustration I have ( all be slight ) is we have seemingly lost a day of Easterlies to be replaced by SEasterlies- but cannot grumble share the wealth !!!!!!- The SE flow can still deliver with the peak -16c air arriving in the SE flow...

S

Edited by Steve Murr