Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Recommended Posts

My area is probably too far west  for the real fun and games Mon/Tues and too far east for Friday's. Hoping to actually get to use some snow chains I bought years ago but could be waiting another year then ...sigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cobbett said:

My area is probably too far west  for the real fun and games Mon/Tues and too far east for Friday's. Hoping to actually get to use some snow chains I bought years ago but could be waiting another year then ...sigh

Would love to have the ability to look into the future and predict the weather so far out, you could make millions! 

All jokes aside, even educated guesses from the met and various other outlets currently haven't a Scooby where convective showers and streamers will form. 

Sit back relax and open the radar from tomorrow evening 

Edited by Surrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with all members here about the BBC weather app is absolutely disgraceful that we are on course for one of the most bad winter weather in years and that my Town Attleborough mid Norfolk’s currently shows no snow and high of 4c middle next week! Dreadful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another very coldstart here with a low of -4C. At least today the cloud hasn't moved in at dawn so it looks like it will be a fine and sunny day. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all! 😀

A very cold and beautiful -4.7 this morning here in Farnham 

looking forward to the excitement next week! 

❄️❄️❄️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Would live to have the ability to look into the future and predict the weather so far out, you could make millions! 

All jokes aside, even educated guesses from the met and various other outlets currently haven't a Scrooby where convective showers and streamers will form. 

Sit back relax and open the radar from tomorrow evening 

Oh i'll be out enjoying it no worries - nothing better than trudging to the local pub in a blizzard (hopefully)  :drunk-emoji:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carl Ballantyne said:

I'm kesgrave, I'm sure we will be fine for snow 👌🏾

Good to see someone else from Kesgrave on here :good: , looking very interesting from Monday onwards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody got a break down of what we can roughly expect for us living in the essex/Suffolk area next week.  Just need some info for work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smith25 said:

Anybody got a break down of what we can roughly expect for us living in the essex/Suffolk area next week.  Just need some info for work.

Take a look at this set of charts...Hatched area is snow.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/precipitations-hd/3h.htm

Edited by loafer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I joined here NYE 2009 bored and was hoping that winter find snow, nothing significant did happen , a year later Dec 2010, wow never seen a forum so exciting when we all at some point saw snow ❄️! Fast forward to Feb,Mar 2013 again was brilliant to see pictures. Since then nothing to talk about of any snow, already missed out on the 2017 Dec snow was horrible sleety rain that did nothing, some members on here have already had their fair share of snow, but just once can Norfolk have pics like this from Norwich City Centre Feb 91 

IMG_1260.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the mods are we splitting this thread next week if it does as predicted get streamers and convective snow kicking off..... 

The 2009 event went through pages and pages for london alone. This thread does cover a huge area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said it before but weather apps on your phone are very poor. Not showing much at all for my area still with best I could find being 2cm for Tuesday. Really? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Said it before but weather apps on your phone are very poor. Not showing much at all for my area still with best I could find being 2cm for Tuesday. Really? 

Same with me bud for Norfolk??????? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slater said:

Same with me bud for Norfolk??????? 

No mate, Romford, Essex. I don't get it as if these apps take their data from the models then how can it be so different? People talking about snow from Monday evening to Wednesday - maybe not constant but certainly what you'd read as disruptive and these apps showing diddly squat. If they get the same data then why don't they show what we're being told and seeing on here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always like using this tool in times like this:

http://meteocentre.com/vigilance/france/vigilance.php?ens=naefs&run=00&map=SN&day=all&lang=en&area=fr

It's a Met Office warning-style chart created using the NAEFS ensemble system (a combination of the GFS and GEM models for anyone unfamiliar) - it shows the probability of various parameters as an average of all the ensemble members. Below, yellow indicates the probability of more than 2cms snow and orange more than 5cms. That's probably still a very conservative estimate on a regional scale but given this is an ensemble average it makes for pretty impressive reading for much of the UK.

SN.all.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning 

It’s -1.4c with a dew point of -4c here in SE Kent. Lovely sunny start to the day!

Must remember to go out in the garden and put some fresh bird seed out for them today as (hopefully) there won’t be much to find on the ground from Monday onwards.

Edited by lottiekent
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Question for the mods are we splitting this thread next week if it does as predicted get streamers and convective snow kicking off..... 

The 2009 event went through pages and pages for london alone. This thread does cover a huge area

Second that.

Also wondering if ya tech person could make it so user location show next to the user name as it does on laptop version?  As if like me im sure most of us view on phone when on the go, and it's a PITA keep going into profiles to tell where "IMBY" is actually located.

Edited by Snow Slave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all, minus 2 here in Tonbridge and you can feel the chill in the air outside Brrr!!!

having experienced 79, 81, 87 and 91 on top of the North Downs, I’ve been waiting a looong time for this upcoming spell. I just hope it delivers!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I completely ignore the bbc app now bloody useless , the met office app just as bad, showing light snow shower, then 1hr later will disappear altogether, but here we are on forums where it shows at least most of us will get at least 10cm just don't get it 

Edited by slater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

No mate, Romford, Essex. I don't get it as if these apps take their data from the models then how can it be so different? People talking about snow from Monday evening to Wednesday - maybe not constant but certainly what you'd read as disruptive and these apps showing diddly squat. If they get the same data then why don't they show what we're being told and seeing on here? 

The apps are beyond useless. Ignore them!

i see you’re one of those die hard people who still cling to calling Romford as being in Essex lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s get in the mood with a reminder of Jan ‘87:

 

Edited by danm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danm said:

Let’s get in the mood with a reminder of Jan ‘87:

 

I've just been watching that on you tube. Made me wonder if the sea will freeze again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

Morning all, minus 2 here in Tonbridge and you can feel the chill in the air outside Brrr!!!

having experienced 79, 81, 87 and 91 on top of the North Downs, I’ve been waiting a looong time for this upcoming spell. I just hope it delivers!!!!

I don’t remember 79 as I was 2 but I do remember the others...then though, I lived at near sea level in Folkestone and it was pretty awesome! 

Being on the Downs this time I’m hopeful of something reminiscent of those spells :cold:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I don’t remember 79 as I was 2 but I do remember the others...then though, I lived at near sea level in Folkestone and it was pretty awesome! 

Being on the Downs this time I’m hopeful of something reminiscent of those spells :cold:

I was only 5 in 79 but do remember it. 1981 I remember clearly as the snow had drifted up against the hedge and our dad crept out and put Rudolph footprints, sleigh lines and reindeer poo (raisins) on Christmas Eve. Us three kids were spellbound looking at it....

Edited by winterfreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...