Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another very coldstart here with a low of -4C. At least today the cloud hasn't moved in at dawn so it looks like it will be a fine and sunny day. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Morning all! ?

A very cold and beautiful -4.7 this morning here in Farnham 

looking forward to the excitement next week! 

❄️❄️❄️

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Would live to have the ability to look into the future and predict the weather so far out, you could make millions! 

All jokes aside, even educated guesses from the met and various other outlets currently haven't a Scrooby where convective showers and streamers will form. 

Sit back relax and open the radar from tomorrow evening 

Oh i'll be out enjoying it no worries - nothing better than trudging to the local pub in a blizzard (hopefully)  :drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!
2 hours ago, Carl Ballantyne said:

I'm kesgrave, I'm sure we will be fine for snow ??

Good to see someone else from Kesgrave on here :good: , looking very interesting from Monday onwards!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, smith25 said:

Anybody got a break down of what we can roughly expect for us living in the essex/Suffolk area next week.  Just need some info for work.

Take a look at this set of charts...Hatched area is snow.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/precipitations-hd/3h.htm

Edited by loafer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

I joined here NYE 2009 bored and was hoping that winter find snow, nothing significant did happen , a year later Dec 2010, wow never seen a forum so exciting when we all at some point saw snow ❄️! Fast forward to Feb,Mar 2013 again was brilliant to see pictures. Since then nothing to talk about of any snow, already missed out on the 2017 Dec snow was horrible sleety rain that did nothing, some members on here have already had their fair share of snow, but just once can Norfolk have pics like this from Norwich City Centre Feb 91 

IMG_1260.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Question for the mods are we splitting this thread next week if it does as predicted get streamers and convective snow kicking off..... 

The 2009 event went through pages and pages for london alone. This thread does cover a huge area

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Said it before but weather apps on your phone are very poor. Not showing much at all for my area still with best I could find being 2cm for Tuesday. Really? 

Same with me bud for Norfolk??????? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, slater said:

Same with me bud for Norfolk??????? 

No mate, Romford, Essex. I don't get it as if these apps take their data from the models then how can it be so different? People talking about snow from Monday evening to Wednesday - maybe not constant but certainly what you'd read as disruptive and these apps showing diddly squat. If they get the same data then why don't they show what we're being told and seeing on here? 

Posted

I always like using this tool in times like this:

http://meteocentre.com/vigilance/france/vigilance.php?ens=naefs&run=00&map=SN&day=all&lang=en&area=fr

It's a Met Office warning-style chart created using the NAEFS ensemble system (a combination of the GFS and GEM models for anyone unfamiliar) - it shows the probability of various parameters as an average of all the ensemble members. Below, yellow indicates the probability of more than 2cms snow and orange more than 5cms. That's probably still a very conservative estimate on a regional scale but given this is an ensemble average it makes for pretty impressive reading for much of the UK.

SN.all.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Morning 

It’s -1.4c with a dew point of -4c here in SE Kent. Lovely sunny start to the day!

Must remember to go out in the garden and put some fresh bird seed out for them today as (hopefully) there won’t be much to find on the ground from Monday onwards.

Edited by lottiekent
Spelling
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
21 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Question for the mods are we splitting this thread next week if it does as predicted get streamers and convective snow kicking off..... 

The 2009 event went through pages and pages for london alone. This thread does cover a huge area

Second that.

Also wondering if ya tech person could make it so user location show next to the user name as it does on laptop version?  As if like me im sure most of us view on phone when on the go, and it's a PITA keep going into profiles to tell where "IMBY" is actually located.

Edited by Snow Slave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Morning all, minus 2 here in Tonbridge and you can feel the chill in the air outside Brrr!!!

having experienced 79, 81, 87 and 91 on top of the North Downs, I’ve been waiting a looong time for this upcoming spell. I just hope it delivers!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Well I completely ignore the bbc app now bloody useless , the met office app just as bad, showing light snow shower, then 1hr later will disappear altogether, but here we are on forums where it shows at least most of us will get at least 10cm just don't get it 

Edited by slater

Posted
9 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

No mate, Romford, Essex. I don't get it as if these apps take their data from the models then how can it be so different? People talking about snow from Monday evening to Wednesday - maybe not constant but certainly what you'd read as disruptive and these apps showing diddly squat. If they get the same data then why don't they show what we're being told and seeing on here? 

The apps are beyond useless. Ignore them!

i see you’re one of those die hard people who still cling to calling Romford as being in Essex lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Let’s get in the mood with a reminder of Jan ‘87:

Edited by danm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Let’s get in the mood with a reminder of Jan ‘87:

I've just been watching that on you tube. Made me wonder if the sea will freeze again?

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

Morning all, minus 2 here in Tonbridge and you can feel the chill in the air outside Brrr!!!

having experienced 79, 81, 87 and 91 on top of the North Downs, I’ve been waiting a looong time for this upcoming spell. I just hope it delivers!!!!

I don’t remember 79 as I was 2 but I do remember the others...then though, I lived at near sea level in Folkestone and it was pretty awesome! 

Being on the Downs this time I’m hopeful of something reminiscent of those spells :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
9 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I don’t remember 79 as I was 2 but I do remember the others...then though, I lived at near sea level in Folkestone and it was pretty awesome! 

Being on the Downs this time I’m hopeful of something reminiscent of those spells :cold:

I was only 5 in 79 but do remember it. 1981 I remember clearly as the snow had drifted up against the hedge and our dad crept out and put Rudolph footprints, sleigh lines and reindeer poo (raisins) on Christmas Eve. Us three kids were spellbound looking at it....

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Good morning! Cold, sunny start here. Temp. 1.2C, Dew point -3.3C

Posted
33 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Said it before but weather apps on your phone are very poor. Not showing much at all for my area still with best I could find being 2cm for Tuesday. Really? 

Same for me, Met Office app/web page showing less and less everytime it updates (now just light snow on and off) where as the BBC do seem to have it as more prolonged now...

Posted
43 minutes ago, slater said:

but just once can Norfolk have pics like this from Norwich City Centre Feb 91 

IMG_1260.JPG

That's not Norwich, it's Sheerness in 1987, the other end of the Isle from me. (Of course, I couldn't actually get to Sheerness as we were cut off for a week, with bread and milk airlifted in. It was great as an 8-year-old!)

• Like 3

First signs of "streamers" appearing on the models. Now I must make it clear, even these models will get it wrong I would put down £50 if I had it that most high res PPN look very different to actual this week. Two things 1) Its an unstable easterly flow, its near impossible unless we know any trough placements where PPN may form. 2) In these situations a very minute change in wind direction can make a massive impact and these are almost real time changes the models do not pick up. Also included within that is geographical location like I mentioned earlier in the week..

But to put it into perspective here are some of the current solutions on showers from  Monday early morning..

HILRAM

overview_048.jpg?2018022400

ARPEGE

ICON

There is a strong indication later on that Thames steamers are certainly possible also a high current chance of some kind of streamer setting up over Kent and Norwich.. To be quite frank, if someone in this thread gets no snow from now till next Friday I will be absolutely astonished. 

• Like 4