Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

They're being very cautious with their language. The "very cold air staying away until after weekend". 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

@Steve Murr what are the chances for the south east areas to be placed under an red warning if the current model forecasts come off?

Not Steve Murr, and an invader, but if anything like some of the latest GFS's come off, the entire country will be under red warnings galore for icy pavements and roads and heavy snow.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

@Steve Murr what are the chances for the south east areas to be placed under an red warning if the current model forecasts come off?

I would think they'll have some kind of health warning for temps, a bit like summer heat warnings.

As for red warnings, i think if things panned out as they show right now the probability would be quite high especially in streamer territory :cold:

Posted
38 minutes ago, Snowy Bob said:

I will only believe it when I can't see outside my window. 

I am reading the MO thread and what has been posted here but I am also still feeling .... Really??

I am underwhelmed, probably due to the lessons and disappointments of recent winters.  The Met Office is keeping things real and I think it is best to adopt that - just in case 

Posted
The SSW dominance is in full swing which is the hallmark of ushering the potential beast from the east.

The easterly winds will be light around this Wednesday/Thursday.

The easterly winds will then start to become stronger as we head into the weekend.

As it stands, Sunday will herald the first batch of snow. This could change, but has been projected for the past few days.

If the projected beast from the east keeps it's forecasted path, we will be in for one hell of a freezing cold period with quite a lot of snow ❄❄

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

I am reading the MO thread and what has been posted here but I am also still feeling .... Really??

I am underwhelmed, probably due to the lessons and disappointments of recent winters.  The Met Office is keeping things real and I think it is best to adopt that - just in case 

Depends what you want, if you're after cold weather then we're looking quite likely to see it - if you're basing it on Snow then it could go either way and no one will really know until the latter end of this week

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

When the towels are stiff on the line that’s when it’s classed as cold is what my mum just said :rofl:

When I was young and there was no heating, your clothes would be stiff as a board when you tried to put them on in the morning too.

• Like 1

Just now, JennyJane1 said:

When I was young and there was no heating, your clothes would be stiff as a board when you tried to put them on in the morning too.

I am out of reactions so will have to send a emoji this way :rofl: bloody hell jenny now that is cold ... my mum said had to thaw all washing out can’t fold as would snap lol I do feel so lucky to have a tumble dryer! But with 8 ppl in the house I kind of need it 

4 minutes ago, yamkin said:
The SSW dominance is in full swing which is the hallmark of ushering the potential beast from the east.

The easterly winds will be light around this Wednesday/Thursday.

The easterly winds will then start to become stronger as we head into the weekend.

As it stands, Sunday will herald the first batch of snow. This could change, but has been projected for the past few days.

If the projected beast from the east keeps it's forecasted path, we will be in for one hell of a freezing cold period with quite a lot of snow ❄❄

So we here get to meet the beast from the east ? 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

I can remember when I was young waking up in the morning and scraping the ice from the inside of my bedroom window

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I am out of reactions so will have to send a emoji this way :rofl: bloody hell jenny now that is cold ... my mum said had to thaw all washing out can’t fold as would snap lol I do feel so lucky to have a tumble dryer! But with 8 ppl in the house I kind of need it 

yes you do!

lots of us remember the ice on the INSIDE of the windows in winter and i remember the washing being as cold as your mum says, yes, i remember the ice coming through the top of the milk bottle on the doorstop as well.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Depends what you want, if you're after cold weather then we're looking quite likely to see it - if you're basing it on Snow then it could go either way and no one will really know until the latter end of this week

Lets face it, it there is no snow or that transient rubbish from this evolution, there could well be a riot on the streets.  I feel there are quite a few expectant folk on here ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

You are making it very hard for me to post sensibly :rofl:

Sheep nuts ordered and they've thrown in a five legged Ginger Tom!!!!!????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
8 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

I can remember when I was young waking up in the morning and scraping the ice from the inside of my bedroom window

God so can I.  You had to steel yourself to get out of bed!!  Didn't have to worry about frozen milk bottles as we had a cow!!! 

Edited by Sidsnake
Added stuff on
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

God so can I.  You had to steel yourself to get out of bed!!  Didn't have to worry about frozen milk bottles as we had a cow!!! 

If your cow gets frozen you have to send for Thora Hird.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!
25 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

I had to do that in the late 80's when I bought my first flat with my ex husband.  It could be perishingly cold, it was a new build and there was an electric heater on the wall in the lounge. Used to have terrible damp from memory too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
25 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

Sheep nuts ordered and they've thrown in a five legged Ginger Tom!!!!!????

you got an extra leg free

Posted
1 minute ago, trickybirdy said:

I had to do that in the late 80's when I bought my first flat with my ex husband.  It could be perishingly cold, it was a new build and there was an electric heater on the wall in the lounge. Used to have terrible damp from memory too. 

At around the same time we had to put huge sheets of transparencies over the windows to block the drafts it was still freezing and huge icicles formed.

That reminds me, one time i was with my boyfriend and there was an enormous icicle hanging from a building so i said, look at the icicle and he said, what? there's always been a high school there! :D

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowflake Queen said:

So we here get to meet the beast from the east ? 

5a8af1d35b795_BeastFromTheEast.thumb.PNG.f3d0e69019410523f8cda9d66e89dbdf.PNG

❄❄❄❄❄

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

After a few warm springlike days we are back to the usual grey/drizzle - garden thermometer says10C but it's feeling colder cos it's damp.

God help me if it gets really cold :cold:

• Like 1