Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

I’m thinking that the cold will dig more into south Europe, ie Greece etc rather than here, I still think it will get a little chilly but not as the models are currently showing. It will be watered down. 

Rain & sleet here in Eltham

Sleet / wet snow @ home New Ash Green :(

Trying hard to snow here in Biggin Hill with snow bursts mixed in with the rain.    

Snowline today ( proper Snow ) 250-300M

West Kingsdown Radio Mast 228M mostly sleet & snow now -

Dropped to 2.1c and actually now more snow than rain. Even settling a bit in the heavier bursts

8 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

I’m thinking that the cold will dig more into south Europe, ie Greece etc rather than here, I still think it will get a little chilly but not as the models are currently showing. It will be watered down. 

I'm trying to stay on the fence with this, but it's hard not to get excited when the models are showing such extensive cold!

2 minutes ago, TheGate said:

Dropped to 2.1c and actually now more snow than rain. Even settling a bit in the heavier bursts

Another event missed @Home

were on about the same elevation now so if you have snow I have snow @home.

:( never mind.

2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Another event missed @Home

were on about the same elevation now so if you have snow I have snow @home.

:( never mind.

It's not spectacular, but better than nothing! Now down at 1.8c, surprised at how quick the temp has falled in 30 minutes (from 2.9c).

ah well

start preperations for next week-

Im supposed to be flying to the canaries Tues To Sat so hope the cold is delayed by a day or 2

or I dont book it - dilema !!

• Haha 1

The temperature and dew points should start dropping from now?

Steve I can confirm it's still only sleet in New Ash Green - big flakes mixed in with the heavier bursts.

I'll try not to be too parochial so it's interesting to note that the Met Office says this about today (no mention of sleet on the leading band):

Today:

Dry and locally bright to start, though windy with gales along the south coast. Rain arriving by midday, winds easing as it slowly clears east through the late afternoon, perhaps turning wintry as it does so, mainly over high ground. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Does this mean it could be a sleet to snow event for the North/South Downs and the Weald if the 2nd band of precipitation currently over central Hants and Wilts has colder air embedded and lasts until after dark?

8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ah well

Im supposed to be flying to the canaries Tues To Sat so hope the cold is delayed by a day or 2

Nooo don't go....we need you! Can you not postpone it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ah well

Now lets see, some late Winter sunshine with a nice beer, or the joys of netweather with " it won't snow ", " will it snow in my garden Steve ", " oh no the radar is not having any of it " " the MOD thread has gone mad " " Winters Over "  " I hate the GFS "

Yep, tough decision that Steve :rofl:

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ah well

Will you be able to continue posting from there, we need up to date gen

• Like 2

Surely Blue bell hill the place to be looking at the very heavy PPN blob on the radar, just gone past Maidstone...any reports?:good:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blob turned intense mauve on the Met Office site, come on, must be someone around.:D

Edit, checked Traffic cams on M2 and looks like rain.

Edited by snowray

24 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ah well

3.5c sleety mix, strong a gusty south-east wind - just horrible. Warm Canary Islands or damp, cold UK? if you can't choose between them, then you need therapy. 

Couple of flakes mixed in here with the heavier burst which went through earlier. Been just the wrong side of marginal so many times this winter!

56 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Thats the form horse of course, unfortunately.:nonono:

7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Depends how far the high pressure moves north if any, if we get it moving north, an easterly, could still well just be warm SWly with a touch of early spring.

Edited by Justin123
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, snowray said:

bbc go for high pressure in the wrong place for cold, mod thread go for a purple UK:cc_confused:

• Like 1

Just now, lassie23 said:

bbc go for high pressure in the wrong place for cold, mod thread go for a purple UK:cc_confused:

Purples always sink south and hit Italy, Greece, then Turkey and the middle east, the Golan Heights, last thing they need right now is freezing temps and snow in places like Syria.

And here we are with our central heating at the ready and twitching at the knob to turn it full on, cupboards and fridges fully stocked up with milk, bread, tea bags, baked beans and oven chips, oh and 6 months supply of Bounty bars just in case, and no, nooooo, please god, its yet another near miss.:shok::cray: 

Yet one more close but no cigarillo my friend....:wallbash:

But this time it might be OUR TURN, the SSW certainly means that high pressure should end up further north so all to play for.:drunk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, snowray said:

Surely Blue bell hill the place to be looking at the very heavy PPN blob on the radar, just gone past Maidstone...any reports?:good:

The odd wet flake with the rain and sleet, that's all.

Just now, Kent Blizzard said:

The odd wet flake with the rain and sleet, that's all.

Oh well, it looked really good on the radar.

Dew points are largely above freezing across the region

pointrosee_uk.thumb.png.62250059d1b639f25dc3c2dc8fae6e09.png

Temperatures are "okay"

temp_uk.thumb.png.773b4cf9bb2d8edfb5e6cf3929530e4a.png

If even elevated areas are seeing sleety rain, there's not much hope for the majority. Nothing but rain here at lower levels, there never was much risk of snow for us from this system.