Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

To be fair I think slater was probably referring to a 'prolonged' cold spell (near 2 weeks) without much of a thaw as regards to 'snowy' days and if you read the MetO updates at times it looked like this was a possibility.

Posted

Burnham (Essex riviera)

Temp: 2.8C

Dew Point: -5.9c

Wind: Easterly, 12mph

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Lets have a check in around the region

Temp : 2.6c

Dewp : Minus 7.6C

Wind : Easterly

Temp: 1.4c

Dew point: -5c

Wind: NE'ly

Edited by lottiekent
Added location for mobile users
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Tell you what though, the MOD thread is crazy. I had assumed that after two weeks chasing a cold spell they would have been thrilled with what is to come (regardless of snow distribution it is going to be a fascinating week), yet already the focus is on the breakdown and it's like the next four days aren't happening. It's almost like for some of them it's the thrill of the chase, like a gambler looking for the next big win. All very peculiar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

What ever happened to Ben Cambs ? AKA snowman. 

melted thanks to global warming:sorry:

5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

To be fair I think slater was probably referring to a 'prolonged' cold spell (near 2 weeks) without much of a thaw as regards to 'snowy' days and if you read the MetO updates at times it looked like this was a possibility.

has the met office dropped it

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

So where currently is the dividing line between the cold and deep cold? 

Wife= cold

mother in law= deep cold ?

only joking ? 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Big Snow said:

Tell you what though, the MOD thread is crazy. I had assumed that after two weeks chasing a cold spell they would have been thrilled with what is to come (regardless of snow distribution it is going to be a fascinating week), yet already the focus is on the breakdown and it's like the next four days aren't happening. It's almost like for some of them it's the thrill of the chase, like a gambler looking for the next big win. All very peculiar.

Yes whilst I follow the thread, I never post. The behaviour on there is most odd at times. Glad I’m not a mod

Posted
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

So what has changed then ?

If the LP goes across France and keeps us cold, who is to say this Spell which started last Friday really wont go for 14-16 days ?

Nobody knows how an area of LP which has not even really got its act together yet will evolve.

The way the BBC are going with the end of the week you would think they have the Blizzard of 2018 nailed but we will see I guess

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I’ve given myself a slap around the face after being too pessimistic earlier.

With such a fluid situation, we may all see something decent, but clearly Kent is the sweet spot.

To be honest, a slight covering will beat anything I’ve seen here over the past few years!

Exactly. The properly cold air hasn’t even arrived yet. It’s going to be an interesting few days with a good chance of all of us seeing some snow. Looks more likely now that the weekend will be milder (latest MetO update). A big disappointment and such a shame but all of Friday could be memorable with heavy snow and freezing temperatures. I know our area is less likely to see disruption due to snow but surprises crop up nearly every time these cold easterly episodes occur. I’ll be happy to see heavy snow falling :)

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

SE Essex obviously as it says in my Profile

I am talking about actual Snow Events not the Build Up, It was cold and Frosty with Freezing Fog from the 23rd-29th November but the snow started late evening on the 30th and stopped on the 2nd December. There was no more snow until the 17th December but there was so much it was on the ground still when the 17th started again

Hope this helps, I am a bit of a Statto with Storms and Events

Yes I would agree re the timing of the events.  The 1987 one surprised me as I thought the snow hung around for ages.  I remember my school being shut for days.  But maybe my memory is playing tricks with me.

I won't be too upset if it gets warmer at the weekend.  Unless there are fresh falls of snow, I lose interest once it all gets trodden down into an ice rink.  Walking (skidding) down the hill to Rayleigh station takes its toll.  So the first 24-48 hours are best for me.

Quite confident we will do alright this week

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

So what has changed then ?

If the LP goes across France and keeps us cold, who is to say this Spell which started last Friday really wont go for 14-16 days ?

Nobody knows how an area of LP which has not even really got its act together yet will evolve.

The way the BBC are going with the end of the week you would think they have the Blizzard of 2018 nailed but we will see I guess

If we do get the slider low on Friday then a week it will be or more!...5c recorded on Friday so not sure that warrants start of the cold spell but that's when the continental air started to come in, bring the grains in first Paul :)

• Thanks 1

Posted

Beautiful winters day, but wind is definitely increasing and dew point was -4 at noon and is now -8 . We are on the edge of the Amber warning but in the past Coulsdon does quite well with Thames streamers, in 2010 we had 44cm up here on the north downs. I'e a feeling we might see similar or hopefully more by the end of the week. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

Yes I would agree re the timing of the events.  The 1987 one surprised me as I thought the snow hung around for ages.  I remember my school being shut for days.  But maybe my memory is playing tricks with me.

I won't be too upset if it gets warmer at the weekend.  Unless there are fresh falls of snow, I lose interest once it all gets trodden down into an ice rink.  Walking (skidding) down the hill to Rayleigh station takes its toll.  So the first 24-48 hours are best for me.

Quite confident we will do alright this week

We had ditches in early April with remaining snow in - no wonder though considering the size of the drifts!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

If we do get the slider low on Friday then a week it will be or more!...5c recorded on Friday so not sure that warrants start of the cold spell but that's when the continental air started to come in, bring the grains in first Paul :)

Yep

You can almost guarantee the first shower will be the grains! :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Temp 4 (Farnham) 

DP -6.3 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Lovely walk on the Ashdown Forest today.49D9AA33-C919-4C0F-8732-7B65D77EC4A2.thumb.jpeg.ecae1ed1eafb3bd5b0d2439368073914.jpeg

401C4826-658E-41AD-BFD1-11E5212BDCB8.thumb.jpeg.a1bdbae9fdae4b5412292f887f4d4090.jpeg

I’m optimistic we’ll all see something by the end of Tuesday. Then, if it is going to end come Friday, roll on Spring and Summer

• Like 3