Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

That Amber warning is making me wonder what my morning commute will be like. Up the A22 from Uckfield then around the M25 to the M4.

Might have a work from home week forced on me if it kicks off. 

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Snow is actually quite beneficial for sheep. Unless they're buried obviously. Mine can come in if they want but being sheep they're always looking for a near death experience....?

And let's not forget that old farming quote "if you buy a Flock of sheep buy a shovel to bury them with!" ?

Posted
8 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Is this for the week coming or friday

For the week. Just too much of a northerly element to winds for us in the northern part of the region. By the time winds back ESE the air stabilises. Ho hum. 

For Friday, anyone with lying snow will have a greater chance of avoiding it turning to rain. Was a few years ago now but remember an Atlantic warm front with uppers of around 0C crashing into the cold of our region. Even with the milder uppers, only snow fell over the snowfields of the South East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
16 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

That Amber Warning does denote more of a NNE Streamer to me in its allignment, this would favour Medway Towns and Ashford more than the Thames Estuary I would have thought. Time for it too change I guess

Oh.. no.. that's just.. awful, well, I suppose I'll cope

Posted
Just now, Uxbridge90 said:

Think we need to do more than that to see anything!

I disagree, let’s just be patient. We do well out of this setup usually. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

after 2 and bit weeks upgrade after upgrade with a 2 week cold spell nailed for at least 2weeks, now by the sound of it dramatically as well in the last 24hrs this is now only a four day event! Kinda of took the excitement away a little bit now with average temps for our area from Next Sunday onwards 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days
17 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Just watch BBC news 24  weather  through snow God Thomas is doing it and he's talking about a full blown blizzard on friday

I am more a fan of Aidan McGivern, whatever he says just happens :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 minutes ago, slater said:

after 2 and bit weeks upgrade after upgrade with a 2 week cold spell nailed for at least 2weeks, now by the sound of it dramatically as well in the last 24hrs this is now only a four day event! Kinda of took the excitement away a little bit now with average temps for our area from Next Sunday onwards 

True!...we were looking at a 'prolonged spell' of cold to very cold conditions - 4/5 days and it's more like a 'prolonged snap'. Lets just hope we can have some decent snow and cold temps over the next few days to make up for that.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Hoping the fact I have lost a warning is actually wrong and it should be amber.

:nonono:

Posted
2 minutes ago, slater said:

We will be very lucky to see more than a dusting all week anyway in our location, it'll be North, South and West of us, always the same, and already showing this on the more hi res charts. Make the most of tonight/tomorrow morning, cos that will be our lot. Yawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

True!...we were looking at a 'prolonged spell' of cold to very cold conditions - 4/5 days and it's more like a 'prolonged snap'. Lets just hope we can have some decent snow and cold temps over the next few days to make it for that.

Spot on, let's just hope most of us will see snow, if not this "prolonged snap" could be the biggest let down of the internet era!! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

We will be very lucky to see more than a dusting all week anyway in our location, it'll be North, South and West of us, always the same, and already showing this on the more hi res charts. Make the most of tonight/tomorrow morning, cos that will be our lot. Yawn.

I'm not getting to carried away either this area just like you does very poor in showers always miss them. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

In terms of snow potential across our region it really depends if all we see are streamers setting up which usually tend to favour certain areas depending on the wind flow:

NE wind = SE Essex, NW Kent, SE London, parts of E Sussex.

E/ENE wind = all of Greater London, S Essex, N Kent, possibly Berkshire and Surrey. 

ESE wind = Essex, N London, Herts. Although shorter sea fetch so possibly not as much convection. 

The bigger question is will will we just see a streamer set up or will we see snow showers spread in more widely due to the increasing instability over the next couple of days? I think this is a distinct possibility which would affect more of us.

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, tomp456 said:

So my phone is now saying Snow on a Tuesday and Thursday, don’t think it will amount to much considering I am bang on the coast.

then it’s forecasting freezing rain on Friday.

but what exactly is freezing rain (frozen rain obviously ;)) but is this not what hail is?

rain that turns to ice when it hits surfaces, very dangerous stuff, hope that forecast is wrong. Will land on and brake power lines, and makes walking impossible, never mind driving. We do not want that to materialise.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I am amazed at that statement

1987 - 4 Day event

1991 - 3 Day event (With 14 day build up)

2010 - 3 Day Event

Add into that a Possible Blizzard at the end of the 4 days.

Amazed to be honest we live in the Uk in a Temperate Climate not in Canada in a Continental Climate

Not sure where you're from where 2010 was a 3 day event. It was 10 days in late November/early December followed by 10 days in mid/late December.