Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

I’m near you but we can get hammered by the streamers ,it’s happened many times before in these setups 

Hmmm let’s hope so but the met office isn’t showing anyhing for Worthing tomorrow and we are JUST in the yellow warning on Tuesday.

Very fine margins indeed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Is East Sussex still looking good for streamers?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
2 minutes ago, Delka said:

freezing rain is rain, but the ground temperature is still freezing so it hits the surface and turns into ice, making everything turn into a giant ice rink. very disruptive and dangerous, they get some almighty ones in America!

Ahhh.

ok.

cant say I’ve ever experienced freezing rain before!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
1 minute ago, pureasthedriven said:

Shouldn’t really say this and I know it hasn’t really started yet but pottering in my garden near Gatwick out of the wind it really feels like, er... Spring! ?

I know, I was out this morning and in sheltered spots, the sun was lovely and warm and I've just been pottering in the garden, securing some plant fleeces -  so strange to think that in a matter of hours, it's all change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
6 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

So my phone is now saying Snow on a Tuesday and Thursday, don’t think it will amount to much considering I am bang on the coast.

then it’s forecasting freezing rain on Friday.

but what exactly is freezing rain (frozen rain obviously ;)) but is this not what hail is?

Rain that falls on frozen ground creating ICE. Usually only temporary during a general thaw

Posted
1 minute ago, tomp456 said:

Ahhh.

ok.

cant say I’ve ever experienced freezing rain before!

not a common event in the UK at all, if you google image search USA ice storms there's some good pictures of the damage it does over there, but when it occurs here it's a much more toned down version to any of those pictures

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
7 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Looking great at the moment for those in the Peterborough area.

Snow showers from tonight into tomorrow. Chance of the heavier snow hitting our area during Monday night/Tues. More snow showers on Wed. Heavy snow end of the week with a greater chance of this being snow than freezing rain. 

Basically at the moment the ideal location!

And South Ea:yahoo:st England 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Looking great at the moment for those in the Peterborough area.

Snow showers from tonight into tomorrow. Chance of the heavier snow hitting our area during Monday night/Tues. More snow showers on Wed. Heavy snow end of the week with a greater chance of this being snow than freezing rain. 

Basically at the moment the ideal location!

When my train gets stranded at Peterborough, will you bring hot coffee?:cold:

Posted
4 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Hmmm let’s hope so but the met office isn’t showing anyhing for Worthing tomorrow and we are JUST in the yellow warning on Tuesday.

Very fine margins indeed

Expect warnings to be updated soon ,ok 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Bedford as usual doing me proud. If i see any snow i'll be happy. 

Untitled picture.png

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Possible Thames Streamer totals Monday evening > Tuesday

5a92b8b4a2f4a_1DayOutlook.thumb.png.8d01b0a74fc8ae282c834972018029ca.png

I'd extend the yellow section decent further west to the south of the thames, as the wind direction will remain true ENE till about 03z Tuesday, then focus will shift towards your main area you are showing at the moment.

Worth noting this is heavily dependent on the exact track of the shortwave, these is good agreement here butI've seen these features throw surprises at veryshort range before and that would have a direct impact on the wind flow.

Wind will shift back ENE late Tuesday sofocus shifts back westwards somewhat before briefly bending ESE Wednesday afternoon, though instablity will be decreasing by that point.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted

When you realize you a few hundred meter's outside the amber zone :wallbash: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow

Another Friday post - soz :oops:I'm probably looking at the wrong one, but the 6-30 day long range text forecast from the MET Office that I can see on their website, doesn't mention milder/less cold air getting into our region at all? (1st - 10th March) just talk of 'heavy' and 'disruptive' snow on Friday, and thereafter 'likely to remain very cold through early March, with further snow showers in the east and southeast' ??

Edited by Ben Blizzard

Posted

The way some are talking, you’d think the snow will simply just end at the edge of the amber zone! It’s a very rough guide and will change. I’m sure most of Essex will get a good dumping.

Posted

It all kicks off in about 6 hours. Countdown time. Tbh, in reality, I think most people will be sick of snow and freezing cold by the end of the week, and welcome some less cold conditions. Apologies to those who are perhaps not in the so called sweet spots

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The Met Office Amber warnings tie in quite well with the greatest accumulations on the 00z EC snowfall accumulations by Weds.

Amber.thumb.JPG.3f50a283f164d7ac7b6d49b8734c10fe.JPGFCDF2AE9-108D-4E8A-857D-ECBCAA37D7D6.png.913df23e4a8903e304031ad948bf3813.thumb.png.0d9bed1c2769da0b213d6b28bb105782.png

SE25 where I live right on the edge of the Amber, so be interesting to see if the streamer of heaviest snow showers moves a little further N, potential the amber maybe expanded nearer the time. Though I will be working at Heathrow in the afternoon and evening - where it will probably be less snowy.

SE Essex, N and W Kent, parts of SE London and down into north E Sussex looking the sweet spots

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy Bob said:

Morning from the Costa Del Folky.

I jest, but I do wonder whether we're going to be as affected down here in South Kent as some of our northern and western cousins?

Looking at the charts for tonight thru to Wednesday - seems to me that its going to be a bun fight to see any significant accumulations south-east of say Ashford and Canterbury.

Hope you're wrong, but I think you're probably right (shame though)

Posted

I really think those outside the zones not worry, it looks like its bands of showers North to South that sweep across the area into organised lines, obviously they lose some power the further west you go, I still think everyone will do well out of this, then the plus side of the potential blizzard hitting your areas harder than areas further to the east of our area. The weather has an amazing way of balancing things out

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
2 hours ago, leemondo said:

I will conider this a massive fail if I can still see the kerbs on Wednesday :)

I will give this a massive fail if I can still see my sheep Wednesday ????

Edited by Sidsnake