Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Food just been delivered thanks to this site I've ordered it 48 hours earlier than normal and I've been able to warn my friends and family. One person on my Facebook has moved her office to her home in Leigh to enable her to continue working so without me passing on information I recieve from here, she would have not been able to work. Now if only my boss would listen ???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Just now, yamkin said:

I ditto your comments too. Big snow surprises as well :yahoo:❄❄❄

Good luck to all those in the ne and se of our area it has been a long time coming! I feel my area will have to wait until the possible event on Friday before seeing any decent snow but you never know and we did well early December so won’t be grumbling! Good luck and get pasted! Of and don’t forget to post pictures ?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, kate1 said:

Great update from Phil Avery just now - disruptive snow for some this week, and they seemed reasonably positive about the chances of Friday's major snowfall. Good times ahead - certainly no downgrades!

This ties in nicely with the MetO's updated outlook :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
6 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

We'e got the heights top of my road (used to be the dump lol) I'll wave across to you Leigh and southend peeps. Essex way omg imagine that to try driving up or down ?

Hello Chelle and other posters, especially us Essex contingent. Another road that may be a bit of a challenge in southeast Essex is the one that is into Rayleigh past the Railway station towards the town centre. I believe it is Crown Hill if my memory serves me right.

As far as next weekend is concerned as others have stated it is a long way off yet and the models are subject to chop and change in the interim. Being an oldie now I can remember as a youngster listening to the evening weather forecast on the BBC Home Service as it was then called (I guess it would be Radio 4 today) during the big freeze up of 1962/63 and on many occasions the presenter would state a breakdown from the southwest in 2 to 3 days time, but it never happened. the warmer air either rode over the top of the cold air or the area of low pressure was rebuffed by the bloc to the east/northeast.

I remember that winter particularly well as I lived in a council house at the time, in Writtle. it was built just after the end of WW1 (a home fit for heroes) and was being upgraded just as the cold weather set in. The contractor had removed the pebble dash etc for the exterior of the house and one could see daylight through the gaps that were then present. Needless to say it was absolutely freezing even with our coal fires on, with ice to the inside of the windows. Each morning we had to break the ice in order to go to the loo.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 hours ago, Jayces said:

That's not correct, the tweet is. I live in South Norwood near Croydon and we were under an amber warning on the night of the streamer and it was snowing heavily and persistently for several hours before the red warning was added.

It is correct. Ask any of my fellow Dorset comrades on the SW thread. We were put under a red warning. It caused a lot of panic.. during the night, the red warning had been moved and we were downgraded to an amber warning. After all of that, barely an inch of snow fell. That will go down as the greatest MetO blunder of all time.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

4A4FB394-BC83-413B-8645-204C126577CD.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
Just now, danm said:

Nathan Rao has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
1 minute ago, danm said:

He is right - bloody daily express scaremongering will have so many people dismissing anything they now write. Little boy who cries wolf aye!!!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Right guys preperations underway here - Sledge waxing / Thermals coming out etc etc !!

I will be on here from 3 ish !

Let the excitement begin... ❄️❄️❄️

Steve some minors adjustments on the low this morning hopefully they keep moving it south 

Posted

Anyone thinking a repeat of 2010 where there is a wedge of no snow South of Norwich and North of Ipswich? (Or very little) happens every time, literally no decent snow for over 30 years now here in South Norfolk. And I really am expecting the same, maybe an inch, then the winds turn se, giving a shorter sea track, meaning nothing till the end of the week, where the frost pushing up from the South will stall as far North as Cambridge, so nothing then either for this location.  I'd bet my house on it.  Pessimistic, or REALISTIC? The latter I expect.

Posted

06z GFS ensembles are still utterly mixed with just about any solution possible down the line for our region, from a straight rain event (as first front dies before getting here and 2nd front is much milder). Most look likea variation of the op however with the front either total snow or snow-rain.

Posted
6 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Chelle and other posters, especially us Essex contingent. Another road that may be a bit of a challenge in southeast Essex is the one that is into Rayleigh past the Railway station towards the town centre. I believe it is Crown Hill if my memory serves me right.

As far as next weekend is concerned as others have stated it is a long way off yet and the models are subject to chop and change in the interim. Being an oldie now I can remember as a youngster listening to the evening weather forecast on the BBC Home Service as it was then called (I guess it would be Radio 4 today) during the big freeze up of 1962/63 and on many occasions the presenter would state a breakdown from the southwest in 2 to 3 days time, but it never happened. the warmer air either rode over the top of the cold air or the area of low pressure was rebuffed by the bloc to the east/northeast.

I remember that winter particularly well as I lived in a council house at the time, in Writtle. it was built just after the end of WW1 (a home fit for heroes) and was being upgraded just as the cold weather set in. The contractor had removed the pebble dash etc for the exterior of the house and one could see daylight through the gaps that were then present. Needless to say it was absolutely freezing even with our coal fires on, with ice to the inside of the windows. Each morning we had to break the ice in order to go to the loo.

Kind Regards

Dave

Crown hill is awful road also bread and cheese in Benfleet church hill thundersley surrising how many big hills with main roads there are around here. 

Posted

Eagerly waiting the met office extended outlook. Normally lunch time. If still forecasts the blizzards and the cold spell to continue then I expect the models to extend the cold on this evenings runs. 

• Like 1

Posted

Worth highlighting the risk on Tues of this system bringing heavy snow to W parts of E Anglia. However a low risk at the moment as it may only affect E Midlands instead.

18022706_2506.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Right guys preperations underway here - Sledge waxing / Thermals coming out etc etc !!

looking forward to your valuable input 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

I will conider this a massive fail if I can still see the kerbs on Wednesday :)

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, kate1 said:

Nathan Rao has a lot to answer for.

I think it's even harder now the BBC have dumped the met office so much of the time their forecasts don't tie up.

• Like 1

Posted

Yh some of the no go zones around this area as follows

Crown Hill and Hambro Hill in Rayleigh. absolute Death Traps

Church Road in Benfleet

The road that drops down from Hadleigh into South Benfleet

Langdon Hills, some of those roads will be a challenge

Add in the A127 & A13 when the BMW, AUDI & Mercedes rear wheel drive hamster wheels start spinning away and sliding across lanes when they are sitting on your bumper flashing you and you have a recipe for fun and games!

Best 3 sledging places

One Tree Hill, they even have floodlights

Weald Park, have it on good authority that the gamekeeper will open the gates if you fancy Midnight Sledging

Southend has some pretty good hills down to the coast as well esp near Leigh On Sea Station

Enjoy it!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, Essex Chelle said:

Crown hill is awful road also bread and cheese in Benfleet church hill thundersley surrising how many big hills with main roads there are around here. 

it's to keep the unwanted away from Southend and surrounding areas in the winter months . . . .

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Steve I think I speak for the whole of this region when I say, please don't ever move from the South East! Your input is invaluable. 

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

We'e got the heights top of my road (used to be the dump lol) I'll wave across to you Leigh and southend peeps. Essex way omg imagine that to try driving up or down ?

I live near the bottom of Vicarage Hill, it’s fun watching people go up, then come back down, as they can’t quite make the golf course. ??

• Like 1

Posted

Oops I've used 97% battery being on here this morning. Best go charge for the fun chit chat later - oh and do some housework gotta make it look like I've done something today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1