Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days - Updated: 01:53 on Sun 25 Feb 2018 GMT

UK Outlook for Thursday 1 Mar 2018 to Saturday 10 Mar 2018:
March will begin very cold with sunshine and snow showers, these continuing to bring some accumulations especially across eastern parts. Friday could see heavier and disruptive snow developing across southern and some central areas, combined with strong to gale force easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions. However, there is a lot of uncertainty with this. Thereafter, it is likely to remain very cold through early March with further snow showers in the east and southeast. The best of the sunshine is likely in the west, but all areas will feel bitterly cold in strong winds with a significant wind chill. Overnight frost will be widespread and severe in places. At times, it may turn more unsettled and less cold across the west and southwest.

UK Outlook for Sunday 11 Mar 2018 to Sunday 25 Mar 2018:
The start of this period is likely to remain very cold across much of the UK, with bitterly cold easterly winds giving a significant wind chill. There will continue to be a risk of snow across southern, eastern and some central areas, but in the north and west it should be drier. Frosts will continue to be widespread and severe in places. As we head towards the middle of March it may turn more unsettled and less cold with milder and wetter weather spreading up from the south or southwest. This may lead to further significant snow in places although this remains very uncertain. Northern areas may hang on to the colder weather well into March.

• Like 6

Posted

Stunning morning here looking out directly east towards Brentwood. Still quite pleasant in the sun and actually ok wearing a tee shirt (nothing on bottom half, just a tee shirt, lol). 

Looking forward to hopefully a week of fun and games culminating hopefully in a blizzard on Friday. Come on weather gods, make this one to remember - the cold never bothered me anyway. 

20180225_103236.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
Just now, Roadrunner said:

Stunning morning here looking out directly east towards Brentwood. Still quite pleasant in the sun and actually ok wearing a tee shirt (nothing on bottom half, just a tee shirt, lol). 

Looking forward to hopefully a week of fun and games culminating hopefully in a blizzard on Friday. Come on weather gods, make this one to remember - the cold never bothered me anyway. 

20180225_103236.jpg

Identical here in Cobham Surrey - just been out for a run with the dog amazing dry air and clear skies like the High desert in California. Although it’s 2c and a dp if -4.3 would be happier if these started falling soon ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow

Interesting that the MET Office are still going for remaining cold with 'Further snow showers in the South and East'  into March; it doesn't mention any milder interludes at all. I'm quite new to all this so please forgive me - but if the low does so further South giving us snow, would that keep us in the Easterly pattern, and if so, roughly how long would that be for? Cheers in advance. 

Looking forward to the rest of the coming week before then though! :)

Posted
3 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Identical here in Cobham Surrey - just been out for a run with the dog amazing dry air and clear skies like the High desert in California. Although it’s 2c and a dp if -4.3 would be happier if these started falling soon ....

I think we’ll see an early high with temperatures and dp’s dropping off this afternoon as the lower uppers make inroads.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days - Updated: 01:53 on Sun 25 Feb 2018 GMT

UK Outlook for Thursday 1 Mar 2018 to Saturday 10 Mar 2018:
March will begin very cold with sunshine and snow showers, these continuing to bring some accumulations especially across eastern parts. Friday could see heavier and disruptive snow developing across southern and some central areas, combined with strong to gale force easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions. However, there is a lot of uncertainty with this. Thereafter, it is likely to remain very cold through early March with further snow showers in the east and southeast.

Certainly seems like the Met office are still going with the slider low solution and keeping the cold air in place. I'll feed back what the ensembles show, but the 06z GFS just showing the first signs of shift back to total snow...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Pity you’re miles from where I live would’ve been good to test out the differently designed sledges!!, I’ve got an old Blue Peter designed one somewhere in the shed, it’s was made on a psychiatric inpatient ward and I rescued it from the rubbish tip when the unit was closed down and moved to a newer building!

When I was young when we def had snow in the winter my dad found an old battered wooden sledge he fixed it up polished up the metal runners it even had a brake lol.  Here on canvey we have the heights be a nice run down for my boy - I'm not getting on it ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
23 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

just need to find a hill on Canvey ;-)

personally i'd head up Essex Way, bit of a stretch but great fun careering down :D

We'e got the heights top of my road (used to be the dump lol) I'll wave across to you Leigh and southend peeps. Essex way omg imagine that to try driving up or down ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

The day has a true polar continental feel about it with the blue sky and dry cold air, yet the sun feels warm. The last time I can remember this was Feb 2012 when the Easterly only just made it across our region and then a front stalled over us from the West. This was the next day and boy it was cold!

I am hoping some showers make it this far west and we all see some snow!

3290CBBA-BF17-4234-B788-83552D530AA0.jpeg

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Uxbridge90 said:

So when are we expecting everything to start kicking off then?

usually Friday night when the pubs close:drunk-emoji:

Posted

gfs always too progressive with these set ups anyway it's really a usa forecast model why so many in the mad thread are obsessed with it is beyond me

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I think we’ll see an early high with temperatures and dp’s dropping off this afternoon as the lower uppers make inroads.

I suspect temperatures will drop off pretty quickly late afternoon as we really start to advect the deep cold air into the east of our region. Looking forward to it, but got quite a nice day to come first!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Eyes down on the radar really from 9pm tonight through to Wednesday evening 

Not bothering with end of week will change so much 

As we discussed, I think we’ll see larger areas of snow moving east to west.

Exciting times for us snow starved southerners!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I suspect temperatures will drop off pretty quickly late afternoon as we really start to advect the deep cold air into the east of our region. Looking forward to it, but got quite a nice day to come first!

It’s still only 1oC here with brilliant sunshine. That’s impressive 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

So when are we expecting everything to start kicking off then?

In the MAD thread? Yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Wonder if it’ll be this bad?

164FCA2E-A636-4456-9758-922DF80E3AA2.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Great update from Phil Avery just now - disruptive snow for some this week, and they seemed reasonably positive about the chances of Friday's major snowfall. Good times ahead - certainly no downgrades!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

As we discussed, I think we’ll see larger areas of snow moving east to west.

Exciting times for us snow starved southerners!

I ditto your comments too. Big snow surprises as well :yahoo:❄❄❄

• Like 4

Posted

Hi, I'm a long time lurker delurking < Shjoom noise> just to say thank you to everyone on this thread! 

I'm in East Kent and I'm worried we're only gonna get a few flakes, but there is hope which is something that we haven't had here for a loooooooong time. :)

• Like 2