Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
12 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

They are a joke,last night said disruptive snow showers now wintry shower Showers?

wtf they smoking this metogroup,Avery must be tearing his hair out.

Hope not. If he forgets his bobble hat, he'll have nothing to keep his hea warm and dry with

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

How I find this cam can’t click the link :-(

cut and paste it into a new browser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

How I find this cam can’t click the link :-(

Yeah some reason it didn't open up the link. So just select and paste it into your browser 

Posted

like me mines 15 wind chill  on the cards I work out  side with   the forcast I might just book   Friday off and stay at home it's looking horrible with heavy snow and bizzards  for Fri and Sat and being cut off 8 miles  from home won't  be fun

Posted

Looking east from my house, the clouds building over the southern north sea/Thames estuary - nothing too get excited about just yet, but a good sign of early instability ;-)

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Goes along with the thought of many people buried in snow :yahoo:

DDA9C537-5E7B-43FD-AF40-B15E71655B3A.png

Ties in nicely with my thoughts last night, with the low passing south of the Channel Islands and then ENE through the Cherbourg Peninsular.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Heading out for a walk on the Ashdown Forest later this morning. Should be stunning up there so will try and post some photo’s.

With regards to this week, I’m sure a lot of us will see some snow, though I know from personal experience how frustrating showers can be. Nov 2010 I was 8 miles too far inland and missed a “channel clipper” and then a couple of days later was 5 miles too far south to miss a Kent streamer.

End of the week could go either way but I’m sure some of the best snowfalls on record have come from these set ups. The MO are not making any mention of the dreaded “rain or sleet” at the moment which is encouraging.

The other thing that strikes me with the long term update is that they’re still seeing very cold easterlies beyond next weekend. Am I right in thinking that would suggest the low heading east across Northern France and towards Benelux rather than northwards?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Bbc are really smelling the coffee now, they are suggesting a wind chill factor of -15C!

Posted
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Ties in nicely with my thoughts last night, with the low passing south of the Channel Islands and then ENE through the Cherbourg Peninsular.

yep, was a great should . . . kudos

• Like 1

Posted

have a look at the satellite images-

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb

you can see light cloud forming in the thames estuary and also a little 'stream' of cloud moving into london. the cloud currently in the channel is due to the even higher SST's there-

sstuk.thumb.gif.9cf4af3ecdc1a73a58d9321e7027507d.gif

once the colder air moves in, we should see even more cloud forming. this is what will cause the convection and (hopefully) streamers in the coming hours and days.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Those members getting anxious about the end of next weeks possible snow event should relax. Not only are recent GFS/ECM outputs likely to change being so far out (T+120) but by then the UK will be entrenched in bitterly cold surface temperature's which are notoriously difficult to budge once established. Look at it this way. We will be starting with maximum surface temperature's (end of next week) at or below freezing. Every km ^ the temperature drops by 6.5C. 850hpa is 1.5km ^, so the temperature will be 10C less than the surface, so roughly -10C. Then add in this morning's less cold 850hpa temperatures for next Friday (+8C). It will still mean what falls from the sky will be snow........ALL the way up. NO rain. To add thickness levels will be perfect for some really heavy snowfalls.

Anyway, we have lots of snowfall to nowcast before then...... pointless looking at the snow forecast charts from now on. Better off watching the radar and satellite for real developments or looking at the latest FAX outputs.

Lowestoft Weather

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

yep, was a great should . . . kudos

I wouldn’t be surprised to see it correct south further though. The ICON is a higher res model, so it ‘should’ be more accurate at that range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, lovesnow said:

looks like a small snow shower tracking towards uk 

http://meteoradar.co.uk/realtime-snowfall#

I'd be surprised if he made it to the uk .. the poor little thing is really flagging lol

Posted
4 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

you can see light cloud forming in the thames estuary and also a little 'stream' of cloud moving into london. the cloud currently in the channel is due to the even higher SST's there-

once the colder air moves in, we should see even more cloud forming. this is what will cause the convection and (hopefully) streamers in the coming hours and days.

Great spot, I am able to see what look like a line of higher cloud in the distance, makes sense it would be along the Thames where the higher temperature differential would be.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning

Low overnight -1.4c, now -0.4c with a dew point of -4c. Still quite windy so our walk shortly will be a cold one!

Really hoping to see enough snow to have at least one snow day this week (although I’ve a feeling work expect me to walk in from the hills to work over 3 miles each way - downhill there and uphill back!) and wait for everyone’s updates throughout the day!

Good luck today @TomSE12

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

this is a quick photo looking south east and shows the clouds overhead the Thames estuary

20180225_093053.JPG

• Like 5