Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
16 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Exeter overnighter holds firm. Dilutes the five day regional for me here in West Sussex but no nonsense with its updated 15-30 dayer. All to play for. 

regional doesn't sound too exciting but when you read the general outlook for the next 5days it's much more exciting

SERIOUSLY COLD it says,lol when has the MET ever said that in a worded text forecast before, with snow totals mounting up each day,disruption for many,best ever 5 day snow forecast i have ever read.

Posted

One of the main reasons I moved to Sussex in 2014 was to catch the storms coming over from the continent (I haven't been disappointed so far :) ) but at the expense of missing out on much of the snow I was used to.

I have to say I'm very much looking forward to this coming week :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The red warning was issued the night before.. in the wrong place. It was moved during the early morning.

That's not correct, the tweet is. I live in South Norwood near Croydon and we were under an amber warning on the night of the streamer and it was snowing heavily and persistently for several hours before the red warning was added.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Decided to get up early. only lying awake fretting about my MRI brain scan, at Queen Marys' hospital, Sidcup, N.W.Kent, at 9.30 am, today. I'm not overly concerned with my  symptoms, nor was my Neurologist, when I saw her, at the PRU (Bromley), a few weeks ago. She thinks, the episodic, neuralgic soreness, in the left hand side of my head, are due to nerve damage or scar tissue, a legacy of a brain haemorrhage/stroke, I suffered in Sept.2015. It's just the thought of being cooped up, in an MRI scanning machine, doesn't feel me with joy. find the thought, quite claustrophobic, actually. But my wife will be with me and reminds me, that I had 3 MRI scans, after my brain trauma, in 2015, at Kings College hosp., but then I was in a coma, so don't remember, anything.

Was lying awake thinking, if they ask me, if I want to listen to some music, I wonder, if they'll play me, " Sailing By", followed by a very wintry. " Shipping Forecast".

Dogger, Fisher, German Bight, Humber, Thames: East 5 or 6, Heavy, thundery snow showers, prolonged at tomes, Poor. Ah, now that would be music to my ears!! Funny, what your mind thinks of, when you're lying awake!!:)

I have wonderful memories, of sitting in our kitchen, in Bromley. in the late 60s and 70s, retuning our radio to Radio 4, to listen to the Shipping Forecast, during wintry spells.  I can remember listening to one broadcast, at 12.30, Xmas day morning, as huge snowflakes, fluttered down, past the lamppost, outside the kitchen window, as a Thames Streamer, was doing, its worst!! My Italian  mother (R.I.P), never understood why! Dad served in Italy, during the 2nd World War and married Mum, just after the end of the war and brought her over to England, in 1947. Mum still retained, her lovely, lilting, soft,southern Italian accent, until she died, in 2004. Back to the Shipping Forecast:

MUM: Toma, whya you wanna listena, to thata sh.ta, wenna we donor, even hava, shippa, 'ere in Bromley? :D

Mum, picked up some choice English swear words and could swear for Italy, sometimes. But I can assure you, that Italian swear words and phrases, are far more rustic, than English. I could but I wont,:nonono: too many children and ladies, read this thread!!

I tried to explain, my fascination, with the Shipping Forecast but to no avail!!:nonono:

Thought, my journey, from Lee to Sidcup, this morning, might have been a bit difficult, a few days ago, as some models showed the possibility of a few snow showers breaking out this early. But they probably wont start arriving, until the overnight period, for the east of our region. Although, as you can see below, light snow being reported, from a platform, in the southern N.Sea.

temp2_1h.png

My younger sister, Angela, partner and young niece, live in Orpington, N.W.Kent, another prime, Thames Steamer location.

They are also snow junkies and are getting excited, about this coming weeks, wintry spell. Angela received, 10 inches, on top of her bird table, in Orpington, ( very supple, my young sis)! sorry Ange!!:D, from the Feb 2009 T/S event.

Anyway, hope you all have an enjoyable day of weather watching!!

Regards,

Rom.:hi:

I just wanted to say best of luck with your scan today Rom, hope all goes well for you and that you get lots of snow to help take yoit mind off things.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thanks, for all your kind words, above. ^^

Sorry, Snow Crystal, should have signed off as Tom, not Rom!! Not awake, properly yet!:nonono:

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Edited by TomSE12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

TomSE12,

The modern MRI scanning machines are much better than the older ones. I had one recently and, like you, was not looking forward to being cooped, again, for 30mins or so but was pleasantly surprised as I had plenty of room and none of that claustrophobic feeling. The MRI operators continually chat and check on you and can see you through the glass partition all the time. So don’t worry - you’ll probably fall asleep dreaming of snow........

good luck,

Terry

• Like 2

Posted

@TomSE12 Best of luck with your scan today. My son has had several MRI's this year and I would imagine the shipping forecast would be very calming. It's a personal favourite when struggling to sleep !

In an era of text speak it is a joy when someone takes the time to write so eloquently. Your recollections made me smile.

Looking forward to the next few days of weather / forum watching here in Kent !

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, terryall said:

TomSE12,

The modern MRI scanning machines are much better than the older ones. I had one recently and, like you, was not looking forward to being cooped, again, for 30mins or so but was pleasantly surprised as I had plenty of room and none of that claustrophobic feeling. The MRI operators continually chat and check on you and can see you through the glass partition all the time. So don’t worry - you’ll probably fall asleep dreaming of snow........

good luck,

Terry

Thank you Terry, that's very reassuring. A fellow Lee-ite, I see. Let's hope we get a fabled " Thames Streamer"

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
4 minutes ago, The BEAST From The East said:

All the best TomSE12

This warning has been issued by kent Search and rescue... 

FB_IMG_15195402087422518.jpg

I would assume this is met office driven? Maybe an indication to their current thinking and any warning upgrades this morning. 

Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
7 hours ago, Arrows1986 said:

To be fair...wouldnt 5 days of really cold temps and lots of snow be enough.  Who seriously wants weeks of subzero temps? Itd be a pain to commute..cost you more in enerby bills, kill lots of vulnerable people. In reality we have a good few days of historic temps and heavy snow..lets just enjoy it.

Arrows1986.... I couldn't agree more.  These are extreme and unusual temperatures coming over... I love the snow BUT this weather is extremely dangerous to the vulnerable.  Be careful what you wish for.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice

meantime, shower activity over N Holland is starting to be picked up on the Dutch radar . . . will be interesting to see developments during today/overnight :)

• Like 5

Posted

Today is the day it begins. The cold uppers should be hitting the east coast later, with high res models getting a better grip on snow chances! 

After checking the Heathrow TAF, my excitement has grown.....I’m like a kid in a sweet shop ??

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

meantime, shower activity over N Holland is starting to be picked up on the Dutch radar . . . will be interesting to see developments during today/overnight :)

Yes and plenty of snow showers, hitting the north German coast.

temp2_de_1h.png

And some very low dew points, to our east.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=de

Regards.

Tom.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, TomSE12 said:

Yes and plenty of snow showers, hitting the north German coast.

temp2_de_1h.png

And some very low dew points, to our east.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=de

Regards.

Tom.

thanks Tom, wishing you the best for today :)

• Like 1

Posted

game on for Friday :D

ic.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

radar shows a clump of snow !

DB6E2D59-B0A8-4D3D-BD34-FDFE2935C02A.thumb.png.0dad2c580f9d95221767625fa90a02e0.png

so much instability which will really pep up as it comes in from the N Sea . . . potential for a lot of surprises overnight and in to tomorrow

• Like 2

Posted

@Steve Murr Welcome home - impeccable timing - holiday in the sun followed by hopefully an epic week (or 2) of weather  - Have been a lurker on here for years but this next week has coaxed me out of my cave to post ! Looking forward to reading your insightful updates  :D

• Like 3