Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

That’s spot on. I believe areas around Croydon had close to 12 inches.

Yep and that is exactly where we were living at the time, with just the odd flurry forcast. This setup looks very similar to my untrained eye?

Posted
Just now, HighPressure said:

Yep and that is exactly where we were living at the time, with just the odd flurry forcast. This setup looks very similar to my untrained eye?

Which is the point myself and others are making, its a fluid situation, but I’m certain this will make the news. I’m not best placed for the initial streamers, but maybe Friday will deliver.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I’m not even thinking of Friday yet. If the temps are as low as predicted any snow that falls isn’t going anywhere. It’s going to pile up and up. It reminds me of 2010 so much, no massive blizzard event, just consistent falling snow that resulted in good accumulation everywhere.

• Like 1

Posted

Well you can bookmark this guys and if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. This week will have major snowfalls to the east of our region, with moderate accumulation to the west i.e where I live.

Friday’s low will pass to the south, so more like a channel low delivering snow to us all and some considerable accumulations

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Given the posts in here this evening, I'm assuming we're waking up to 10c in the morning and the week will get no colder!  What on earth has happened to this place, it used to be a fun place to come for a chat and get excited about the upcoming weather.  Here we are on the cusp of a 'minimum' 4-5 day extreme cold spell and people are moaning about what *might* happen next Friday!

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Given the posts in here this evening, I'm assuming we're waking up to 10c in the morning and the week will get no colder!  What on earth has happened to this place, it used to be a fun place to come for a chat and get excited about the upcoming weather.  Here we are on the cusp of a 'minimum' 4-5 day extreme cold spell and people are moaning about what *might* happen next Friday!

Totally agree, it’s looking great for most of the week. Friday might be dodgy, but I think that will trend cold too 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Where’s rampkin when you need him. :D :yahoo:

I think it’s because we are so accustomed to disappointment. The extreme cold extensive pool of air imminent there’s nothing comparable to it in 31 years, so it truly is something to respect.

Exciting times come on caking for all :drinks::clapping:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 hours ago, cobbett said:

Odd choice of word on the Meto warning

Heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers,

and passengers ?  Well I suppose you could have a stranded vehicle without passengers after they've left before being stranded or.maybe it means that the passengers can't walk after being left stranded due to their car being stranded - hmm i must be bored - need to get outside  :cc_confused:

trains,coaches,buses I would assume

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I just had a big case of 'user error'.. Opened up the mad thread from way back when it started and read 'winters over' and thought oh no they're at it again!

Refreshed my browser and got here to find the same... blimey, it's like a record got stuck. Same ol' same old every year a groundhog day!

The cold is here, and it's getting colder and every model is only just catching up with a reversal of the norm. Standing outside should help also...

It's exciting to see what'll happen when the really cold air passes over the north sea/channel... beyond that is anyone's guess but more than likely breathtaking and potentially fun - !!!

... on a serious note : look out for neighbours and stay safe - don't drive with bald tires or in first gear up a hill - leave the rear wheel drive BMW at home and go and make a snowman somewhere pretty - Rant over ;)

• Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

That's not quite correct. The BBC forecasts picked up on that streamer towards the back end of the Saturday, 24 hours before it kicked off, and firmed up on it through the Sunday.

Posted

I'm amazed at some doom merchants on here all because one days' model' outputs showed a slightly milder outlook next Friday :wallbash:

GFS & ECM are mild outliers for that particular period.

We have the beast from the east striking our shores on Sunday night where the fun begins with a big freeze and snow.

Once this beast sets in, let's see how the models run with Friday.

It will be interesting to see what the MetO's Outlook update will show in a few hours time.

Expect surprises in this sort of beast from the east set up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I think people have a right to be disappointed when they've spent the last 3 weeks of their lives tracking a "historic, once in a generation" cold spell, only to be left with what appears to be a 3 day cold snap. Would they have invested so much time and hope if the latter had been the likely outcome all along? Frankly, no.

But we've seen how quickly things can swing so let's hope for another in our favour in the morning 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just remember the models have been poor over weekends numerous times this winter (supposedly less data available)

So I wouldn't worry about what they're showing again tomorrow, enjoy the start of this freezing spell and check the models again Monday onwards. If nothing has changed by then just make the most of this fantastic wintry week coming up, and watch that radar for surprises popping up out of nowhere. :cold-emoji:

Edited by Bobby93
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Thinon said:

I think people have a right to be disappointed when they've spent the last 3 weeks of their lives tracking a "historic, once in a generation" cold spell, only to be left with what appears to be a 3 day cold snap. Would they have invested so much time and hope if the latter had been the likely outcome all along? Frankly, no.

But we've seen how quickly things can swing so let's hope for another in our favour in the morning 

it's not a cold snap,it's a severe spell of weather with maybe record low temps for this time of year .if people think the models have the exact path of the low pressure system six days ahead well good luck to them 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, yamkin said:

The red warning was issued the night before.. in the wrong place. It was moved during the early morning.

• Like 1

Posted

I am sure I remember reading somewhere once that the models have less data imputed over the weekend on some of them which is probably why Met Office sticking with cold.. And at the end of the day they are never that badly wrong 5 days ahead 

Posted
17 minutes ago, yamkin said:

last BBC forecast I saw last night was ramping up the snow and talking about blizzard end of the week,Tomasz S was doing the forecast,for the week ahead.

looked like the BBC had finally joined the snow party at last with that forecast

one of the most exciting snow forecast i have seen from the beeb 

maybe the BBC forecasters have told meteogroup to go do one and they will ignore their guildlines of what to say on tv

I know lot of them are very enthusiastic about this cold spell from reading their twitter feeds

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 2

Posted

0.3 c here ,ground was still frozen in places yesterday here,despite temps reaching about 5c ,must be low dewpoints,not much snow is going to melt next week then if that's the case

Posted

should be some excellent sliding conditions on the Downs behind my house as the snow will be so dry next week,can't wait,anyone else in the Worthing area want to meet up for a big slide next week:gathering:

Posted
33 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

should be some excellent sliding conditions on the Downs behind my house as the snow will be so dry next week,can't wait,anyone else in the Worthing area want to meet up for a big slide next week:gathering:

@SLEETY no idea why that’s quoted you there! 

Edited by pureasthedriven