Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, Thinon said:

First time I've ever seen a forecast for snow with temps in double figures. :rofl:

Screenshot_2018-02-24-21-43-59.png

The wrong type of snow!

• Like 1

Posted

To be fair...wouldnt 5 days of really cold temps and lots of snow be enough.  Who seriously wants weeks of subzero temps? Itd be a pain to commute..cost you more in enerby bills, kill lots of vulnerable people. In reality we have a good few days of historic temps and heavy snow..lets just enjoy it.

• Like 4

Posted

Me again, sorry!

Cast your minds back to the first SSW. The models were in chaos dealing with the outcome. Many favoured a mild solution, but they were wrong, and at a short time frame.

Since then, we’ve had a secondary warming. The models will now be in the same position and trying to work out the solution (but with the additional chaos following the first warming)

I firmly believe they will correct to a colder solution, as before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What is interesting is why the operational runs today have nearly all been right at the top end of the ensembles, got to think that is going to trend the other way at some point. I wonder why this is happening though, are they spotting something that the ensembles just can't due to their resolution, or are the operational runs just overdoing it...hmmm...

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome back

So the ECM appears to have been a very mild outlier & this is the 132 Mean on 18z GFS

4BE330E6-AC19-4516-AC59-AF93C6AF1E65.thumb.png.7000b99ed3c030e941454797e5b6f770.png

Some of the runs will be further North / south -

We need about 50 -75 miles of correction !

144 850 Mean ideally the -4c line is the snowline ( but may be -2 for a while )

(132 GFS / 144 ECM )

581A9B0E-7725-4570-A4DD-E4FC7E0CFF6C.thumb.png.8c5de804809b9c67b28e7783171b0306.png0BE86E15-FEB0-461F-88C2-8237C7AC1A86.thumb.png.63b5a005f90d8de40f324e90a446fc51.png

So all is not lost yet :)

apart from that 84 hours of potential snow !!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

I agree with CK1981... I believe a lot snow to all regions also! If it's just for a couple of days... c'mon that's better then most years... snow day! C'mon... day off work... enjoing the snow...  building a snowman... playing snowball fights... 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thanks for the welcome back

So the ECM appears to have been a very mild outlier & this is the 132 Mean on 18z GFS

4BE330E6-AC19-4516-AC59-AF93C6AF1E65.thumb.png.7000b99ed3c030e941454797e5b6f770.png

Some of the runs will be further North / south -

We need about 50 -75 miles of correction !

144 850 Mean ideally the -4c line is the snowline ( but may be -2 for a while )

(132 GFS / 144 ECM )

581A9B0E-7725-4570-A4DD-E4FC7E0CFF6C.thumb.png.8c5de804809b9c67b28e7783171b0306.png0BE86E15-FEB0-461F-88C2-8237C7AC1A86.thumb.png.63b5a005f90d8de40f324e90a446fc51.png

So all is not lost yet :)

apart from that 84 hours of potential snow !!!

Southerly corrections over the next few days methinks. If not, I’ll have major egg on my face ??

i

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Just watched BBC Week Ahead and I didn't think there lookedlike loads of snow South of London?! Mostly EA upwards?! I'm still happy to sit back and wait but really not as much as I thought x

Posted
1 minute ago, weathergeek said:

Just watched BBC Week Ahead and I didn't think there lookedlike loads of snow South of London?! Mostly EA upwards?! I'm still happy to sit back and wait but really not as much as I thought x

To be honest, I’d take as much salt needed to grit our roads than their forecasts. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Last night at this time we were talking about a foot of snow and 6ft snow drifts, now its 1cm showing, where did all our snow go in one day?:cc_confused:

120-780UK.gif

image.png.d4ceed9e09276460c1d9c47c90bbc8b8.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Last night at this time we were talking about a foot of snow and 6ft snow drifts, now its 1cm showing, where did all our snow go in one day?:cc_confused:

120-780UK.gif

image.png.d4ceed9e09276460c1d9c47c90bbc8b8.png

If Southern Ireland does better than me, I’m off to Russia. I swear I’m cursed here in Berkshire ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Just to end on a positive note, Navgem sticks to its guns, its slightly further north, end result being a channel low and we stay in the cold air.:)

navgem-0-144.png

navgem-1-144.png

navgem-2-144.png

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

If Southern Ireland does better than me, I’m off to Russia. I swear I’m cursed here in Berkshire ??

Well if I get just 1 cm here I will officially give up too, will be looking for a new winter hobby for next year! :angry:

Edited by snowray

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

^^^ desperate times ^^^ :)?

Just seen the latest GEFS. I can’t swear on here, but they look awful. Massive flip to mild from almost all members. ??

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowray said:

Just to end on a positive note, Navgem sticks to its guns, its slightly further north, end result being a channel low and we stay in the cold air.:)

navgem-0-144.png

navgem-1-144.png

navgem-2-144.png

With cold rain to finish ?

Posted
1 minute ago, pureasthedriven said:

With cold rain to finish ?

That would not be rain on the Navgem, trust me......:spiteful:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

they were saying that this is an historic event, unusually cold air to come and stay and lot's of snow, now we are desperate to see even a cm of snow, maybe we won't see that either. Cold stays with us until Thursday night but not so much snow, then turns mild and lots of rain, I am off to some Ski Resort!!!

Just now, turkishfella said:

they were saying that this is an historic event, unusually cold air to come and stay and lot's of snow, now we are desperate to see even a cm of snow, maybe we won't see that either. Cold stays with us until Thursday night but not so much snow, then turns mild and lots of rain, I am off to some Ski Resort!!!

I’m off to turkey..... in July ?

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I’m off to turkey..... in July ?

They get much more snow in Turkey in Winter than we do over here, typical, and hot summers.....:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days
1 minute ago, snowray said:

They get much more snow in Turkey in Winter than we do over here, typical, and hot summers.....:nonono:

yes actually, they do, my family lives very close to a ski resort, I am off to there if we don't get snow again

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

Again, you’re miles off the mark. Yes, it may turn milder later in the week, but if you think we’ll only see a cm or so of snow, you’re so wrong. I’m guessing you’re not familiar with lake effect snow?

• Like 1