Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Wow...the wind here has really been gusting the last two hours...Iam not going out in that

It's bitterly cold ..the beast is nearly on the beach

Edited by clactongaz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
3 minutes ago, Rinse The Raindrops said:

Saturday Evening Update

The first snow of the upcoming cold spell is now entering the range of the higher-resolution weather models. Whilst a few flurries could develop as early as daytime Monday, a strong signal exists for bands of heavier snow showers to develop in the Southern North Sea and move inland during the early hours of Tuesday and persisting possibly into Wednesday.

Areas at greatest risk of seeing significant accumulations from these showers are South/East of a line from Clacton to Rainham. Snow will fall elsewhere, but showers may not be as frequent or heavy.

This evening's model runs increase the risk of widespread, heavy snow and blizzards next Friday. This will need to be kept a close eye on over the new few days.

Temperatures will progressively drop from Monday with many districts of Essex below freezing for a 48-72hr period. Thursday is likely to be the coldest day with highs of -2C or -3C which is unprecedented for the first day of meteorological Spring.

Next update: Sunday Morning - Duty Forecaster

fantastic news for the  South Essex Riviera . . .

Posted

i have just witnessed  one  of the scary  weather  forcast ever  on the  bbc news  24  if any one recorded it i dont know how please put it on here it like the day after tomorow the end of  the week will make your hair go up on your neck  and this  no ramp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

lots to look forward to between Mon and Thursday, but that spoiler low is being modelled to visit us quicker and quicker on each run at this rate by the time we wake up on Thursday any snow may have melted :-(

Posted
1 minute ago, tinybill said:

i have just witnessed  one  of the scary  weather  forcast ever  on the  bbc news  24  if any one recorded it i dont know how please put it on here it like the day after tomorow the end of  the week will make your hair go up on your neck  and this  no ramp

Shoot I missed it... Chasing cats indoors. If anyone has a link, please post it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
3 minutes ago, tinybill said:

It was wintry but not scary thing I did notice cold continuing even in the south no mention of rain or milder in fact quite the opposite enjoy guys.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, EML Network said:

lots to look forward to between Mon and Thursday, but that spoiler low is being modelled to visit us quicker and quicker on each run at this rate by the time we wake up on Thursday any snow may have melted :-(

Let’s accentuate the positive, shall we? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms
54 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Oh I agree with you and many will do very well, unfortunately, I’m not best placed for the biggest falls 

I know where you coming from. I've been doing this for a few years now - you might surprised. Friday is looking good using multiple indicators and the air is unstable flowing off the North Sea. Some people where hope casting for snow or cold last week even when temps where forecasted at 7c. But it's game on now and no model we have predicts snow content correctly. And yes snow could cause travel issues in some area's come Wednesday night. MagicBat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course
6 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

I am wondering where Maidstone falls in that line from Clacton to Rainham.  As i am south of Rainham but not East.  Can anyone in the know enlighten me plz

That was just for Essex 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Just to add insult to injury, our cold is cut even shorter on 18z and no snowy breakdown either....

You really couldn't make this up if you tried!!:wallbash:

gfs-0-120.png

gfs-1-120.png

gfs-2-120.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
Just now, snowray said:

Just to add insult to injury, our cold is cut even shorter on 18z and no snowy breakdown either....

gfs-0-120.png

gfs-1-120.png

gfs-2-120.png

patience grasshopper . . .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Oh my days it's cold out there I've just been out in Southend now back home on canvey the wind really blowing around my house it' made my cough awful again despite wrapping scarf around my face.  I know everyone wants a long term snow forecast but seriously I need this out the way for my long weekend away with my mates on Friday- a year of saving and planning will be ruined plus my other half self employed works outside so no money will be earnt next week as it is. It feels like Christmas eve waiting for next 24 hours it' exciting but for me Monday Tuesday Wednesday is more than enough ?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Thinon said:

The week ahead forecast on BBC News just now was quite something.

Have they finally fallen off the fence ??

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Evening all, not going even bother going in the MOD thread this evening, must be carnage after the 12z EC came out and now 18z GFS bringing milder air in too across the SE by Thursday evening. Still don’t think it’s a closed deal this sudden flip to quickly ending the cold spell later this week, still don’t think the models have a decent handle on the upper low / cold pool moving SW across the UK mid-week then ending up SW of UK which then pulls the low NE toward the UK. So don’t be surprised of a backtrack over subsequent runs.

Going to focus on Monday and Tuesday and forget about Thurs onwards, as most should see some snow showers at some point from Monday, hopefully giving a few centimetres at least by Wednesday for those missing the streamers.  Focus for heaviest falls from streamers perhaps coastal East Anglia (up to 20miles inland) and downstream to the SW or WSW of the Thames Estuary for 50 or so miles inland, also coastal areas of Kent should fair well - these areas of enhanced snowfall  we could see 2-5 inches (5-12cm) by Wednesday - this based on EC (below) so maybe too conservative.

FD4C5B78-B4A1-4467-A37E-2409843EAFBF.thumb.png.00ac0e80560d31f6553d95a3515b0302.png 12z EC snow accumulations up to 06z Weds 28th

Wednesday morning may see early snow showers ease, as winds veer more ESEly or SEly, somwithe shooter Sea fetch to near continent it will likely turn drier, though Suffol and Norfolk could seemfurthe rsnow showers with longer fetch over N Sea here.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
3 minutes ago, snowray said:

gfs-0-120.png

gfs-1-120.png

gfs-2-120.png

As I posted above week ahead forecast has you guys still in the cold air into next weekend I really do think the 2nd SSW is screwing around with models 

C.S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Imagine what's going to happen to these forums when there's a few flakes of snow on the ground! 

Seems they can't even cope with a bit of cold at the mo!

Edited by tomp456

Posted
29 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Look if we get just one snowflake I will be NOT be happy I have waited soooooo long... this week has felt like we have all lived together in the big brother house ! Is it on or is it off ... I feel like I’m about to break up with my love of cold weather and book a holiday 

I feel your pain, being in the same neck of the woods. I think we’ll be ok 

• Like 1