Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

I don't follow Met Check having been led up the garden path by them once too may times before.

I'll stick to the tried and tested - and to the decent people in here.

It’s a very poor service in my opinion, so best, as you rightly say, stick to the Met 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think some of them only do it so as to get a reaction, anyway...Let's face it, we all know that the upcoming cold blast will come to and end eventually? Summer will be rather awful if it doesn't!:santa-emoji:

BTW, I still find the Met. Office is the gold standard, when it comes to extended forecasts...

A pertinent point :) Positively thinking, we have a wonderful spell of cold and snow to come, then it’s spring. Win-win! (Mmm, these sweets are good)...

D9EFB1A9-9038-4C7E-983F-B552B11047B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

Anyone want to team up and lamp post watch with me 

E546CC84-A6E3-4DD4-A0BB-4087603E4C50.jpeg

6CA096C7-A663-49D3-842D-CE6BF38CBF46.jpeg

03D192EB-3665-4A25-8580-56CD9A5354E1.png

don't think I need to team up . . . . i can see the glow from here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

I disagree, their forecasts, especially after day 3 are usually very suspect. They must use a blend of models, but their forecasts often mirror GFS output, and I bet it does today!

OK, let's see. If anything their output mostly resembles ECM. So here is a challenge, you check your precipitation today and then make comparisons with  what you actually got in a few days time. 

Posted

Interesting so we have had a bad day of wobbles here but we have been here before. And mark my words now that they are no longer the uk forecaster for the beeb. I believe the met will be strongee with there foeecasts now. The restraint is off and it is solidly showung snow throughout there whole day on friday travel disruption. The super computers know what we dont 

• Like 1

Posted

I think the models are pushing the cold away too quickly.  Also we still have the effects of another saw which I think may be messing with the models.

If the snow is gone by Friday I will be happy.  I am starting a build of a house on Monday and cannot do foundations in the temps we are predicted this week

Edited by Snow Queen one
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Your probably right. It just feels like a lick in the teeth when you see bits and bobs on apps. I’m a novice novice  :unknw: when it comes to reading models, I do try but when you don’t have very much knowledge it’s very hard not to look to the people that are supposed have all our weathery knowledge and listen to their advice 

Least it’s a lick in the teeth much softer :friends:

donna ... step away from the apps lol 

Posted
39 minutes ago, Biensie said:

I don’t know how to do a quote to a different thread, sorry, so it’s copy and paste but just so you know I’m usually glass half full and certainly don’t want to dampen any excitement as I’ve been waiting ages for our turn!  this was from TEITS:

On a different note I do feel sorry for those in the far SE though i.e Kent. Whilst the snow showers will continue during Wed onwards for N England/Scotland, the convective days for the far SE only appear to be Mon/Tues due to the flow veering ESE,ly. The likes of Norfolk, Suffolk and maybe Essex may still pick up a few snow showers.

Once the beast arrives tomorrow night, there will be surprises in store including the SE, so there is no need to feel sorry for the SE

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, sawan said:

OK, let's see. If anything their output mostly resembles ECM. So here is a challenge, you check your precipitation today and then make comparisons with  what you actually got in a few days time. 

Well that would be totally pointless. Nobody and I mean nobody knows how these streamers and disturbances will pan out. This is not a usual situation at all, but if it was, I’d be focusing on the Met Office and not Metcheck!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

Least it’s a lick in the teeth much softer :friends:

donna ... step away from the apps lol 

That’s true they must be feeling kind tonight

Posted

People keep calm, we've just spent 2 weeks watching the ops wobble all over the place while their Ens and the meto (and believe me they have outputs you could only ever dream of seeing) stuck a big finger up to them.

Enjoy whats coming :):cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
28 minutes ago, tinybill said:

er  i knowthat lot over the border have got 6 fingers ,plus the same dna    they should stick to stamp collecting!!

hahaha!! and that comes from an Ipswich person!?!...like to stick to your own? and your wife is also your brother...

Hope you get some snow :)

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

A pertinent point :) Positively thinking, we have a wonderful spell of cold and snow to come, then it’s spring. Win-win! (Mmm, these sweets are good)...

D9EFB1A9-9038-4C7E-983F-B552B11047B3.jpeg

Haha you beat me to it, i was trying to google a bottle of prozac for my post above:rofl:

Posted

This is where we are.

Monday to Thursday nailed as being the coldest period for at least 5 years!

Friday onwards is likely to remain cold, but that low needs watching.

I’ve never seen such low uppers predicted in the U.K. since 2010, and we may even top those.

Low pressure systems always get deflected by blocking patterns, so I think this will happen later next week.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Definitely something wrong there!

they've left the minus sign off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

Saturday Evening Update

The first snow of the upcoming cold spell is now entering the range of the higher-resolution weather models. Whilst a few flurries could develop as early as daytime Monday, a strong signal exists for bands of heavier snow showers to develop in the Southern North Sea and move inland during the early hours of Tuesday and persisting possibly into Wednesday.

Areas at greatest risk of seeing significant accumulations from these showers are South/East of a line from Clacton to Rainham. Snow will fall elsewhere, but showers may not be as frequent or heavy.

This evening's model runs increase the risk of widespread, heavy snow and blizzards next Friday. This will need to be kept a close eye on over the new few days.

Temperatures will progressively drop from Monday with many districts of Essex below freezing for a 48-72hr period. Thursday is likely to be the coldest day with highs of -2C or -3C which is unprecedented for the first day of meteorological Spring.

Next update: Sunday Morning - Duty Forecaster

• Like 5

Posted

GFS 18z T66 is a blinder :)

• Like 1