Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Astonished that people are worrying about the breakdown already,forget it,most have had no settling snow for 5 years,myself included,yet some are worried about rain,coming from a system that's not due to hit here for 6 days,SIX day's,never mind the fact that there will be some hefty falls over the next few days,forget friday,buckle up and enjoy the next few day's,what will be,will be,have fun guy's,ive already consigned myself to a day off or 2 this week

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Southender said:

272D3F45-3468-4BF3-83B9-D0E8C1974449.png

For those in my locale and further down the tracks ??❄️

Choo choo all aboard the Thames Streamer train ? 

Rayleigh usually does OK from the Thames Streamers too :)  here's hoping! ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice

https://www.buienradar.nl/weer/de bilt/nl/2757783/buienradar/actueel  << will come in handy for tomorrow evening onwards ;-)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Things ramping up weather-wise here in Lowestoft. After a crystal clear cold day the winds are now increasing some strong gusts, some low level fast moving clouds pushing in and it feels incredibly cold now. The wind stings your face and hands after only a minute or two....... all downhill from here! Bbbbrrrrrr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
Just now, Balanced View said:

Things ramping up weather-wise here in Lowestoft. After a crystal clear cold day the winds are now increasing some strong gusts, some low level fast moving clouds pushing in and it feels incredibly cold now. The wind stings your face and hands after only a minute or two....... all downhill from here! Bbbbrrrrrr

it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few snowgrains in the air tonight . . . .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Already bitter here, we have hit -4c the last couple of nights and only managed a high 3.3c today. We have recorded 14 air frosts so far this month! 1.4c currently and number 15 due tonight!

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
34 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Looking ahead somewhat - just thinking of the Big Thaw. All that water.....:nonono: I am ordering two weeks worth of moderate to gale force winds to aid the drying out process....

On the flip side, if there is a ‘big thaw’ there has to have been ‘big snow’! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
8 minutes ago, Balanced View said:

Very strange you say that.... It is bitter in Tunbridge Wells and there is a pinkish tone to the sky

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, danm said:

Due to the forecasted instability between Monday and Thursday due to the deep cold uppers, i don’t think the snow during this period will all be in the form of streamers. I think we’re likely to get a number of showers moving in off the North Sea that will affect areas more widely. 

Doesn't matter how deep the cold pool is the streamers will form regardless, look at some of the massive falls in places like Buffalo US, they are from streamers with far more intense instability than we will have here.

Also should be noted they are also topgraphical features as well.

We may well get spells of general snow showers as well, indeed I'd be surprised if we didn't!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Doesn't matter how deep the cold pool is the streamers will form regardless, look at some of the massive falls in places like Buffalo US, they are from streamers with far more intense instability than we will have here.

Also should be noted they are also topgraphical features as well.

We may well get spells of general snow showers as well, indeed I'd be surprised if we didn't!

Completely agree, was just saying I don’t think it will all be from streamers but showers too. 

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Net weather in house model also now likes the idea of something starting up around the Thames.. SO hard to predict these things... But some places next week will get hammered 

Netweather NMM Image

That’s more like what I expect to see, east to west, rather than north east to south west. I think you and I will also see something special this week ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well according to those in the MOD thread it is going pear shaped with the cold spell coming to an end this time next week.

Posted
7 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

That’s more like what I expect to see, east to west, rather than north east to south west. I think you and I will also see something special this week ?

Its going to be shifting around all week, Monday morning is near due east, then bends increasingly more ENE throughout Monday and into tuesday,then back to just about due E (maybe a hint of ESE) early Weds then back to E/ENE during the afternoon before the winds bend back ESE ahead of any low.

So chances for most people to get some snow for sure!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Its going to be shifting around all week, Monday morning is near due east, then bends increasingly more ENE throughout Monday and into tuesday,then back to just about due E (maybe a hint of ESE) early Weds then back to E/ENE during the afternoon before the winds bend back ESE ahead of any low.

So chances for most people to get some snow for sure!

Yes, but the overall mean is easterly, so better chances for me being in the west of the region. Those to the east are certainly in the sweet spot.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I hate Thames Streamers, bad for Herne Bay and usually bad down to the South East coast :( Haven't seen any snow since 2013!

Posted
1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

I hate Thames Streamers, bad for Herne Bay and usually bad down to the South East coast :( Haven't seen any snow since 2013!

Don’t worry mate, you’re in prime position next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.
1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

Yep... Need a NE or NNE . The way it's looking is a ENE and E will be quite predominant so we'll need embedded troughs.

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Met Office Fax Synoptic Chart

Fax chart midday Tuesday..

North Sea trough followed by a cold front from Scandi. That’s what I love about these setups.....expect the unexpected!

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Yes, but the overall mean is easterly, so better chances for me being in the west of the region. Those to the east are certainly in the sweet spot.

I'd say the 'mean' is ENE, especially at 850-700mbs which is a better guide for winter convection and its direction,though sure there are spells of more pure easterly (Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon-evening seems to be the best time).

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1