Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Morning all, temp 3c dp 3c

Sat 24 looking dreamy this morning,behind the weak front in the North sea. Clear  to see the cold air  already working a treat off the West coast of Estonia and Latvia making some wonderful looking shower trains spreading towards Germany and Netherlands. This is the same effect we want to see off the coast of the Netherlands over the next 48hours.

https://en.sat24.com/en/scan/visual

Edited by Chris101
Added link
  • Like 1

Posted

North Germany is currently getting blasted by snow showers they have the Baltic See see trail of showers clouds they’re going well inland. And we have waters a lot warmer........

229632E0-0DC9-4C14-9710-FE575EE727F5.thumb.jpeg.e30159b5676ff78209b4d68aaa08deb6.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

I sure hope this spell doesn't downgrade to a 2010 scenario :nonono:

:D:D:D :rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Nice to see some of the more experienced posters getting excited about the prospects for NW Kent/SE London. Countryfile forecast will be interesting tomorrow. I imagine when it comes to Friday it'll become rather vague.

I'm hoping for 6 inches here by Thursday/Friday. I would guess anything between 3-10 depending on how lucky/unlucky I am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I remember back in January 1985 and that cold spell and I think it was around 9/10th, an Atlantic depression was forecast to bump into a cold air mass over the UK from the west south west and dump 6 inches or so over the south and this was only 24 hours before the event. Of course the channel Isles was only effected and the MetO left with egg on their face - so a very hard forecast to make currently what will happen end of next week, maybe a 24 hours or less before we know will happen.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

UKMO 144 to 168z moves that low pressure very little north eastwards and makes it quite a small tight feature, where it goes after that is another thing. I'm going to ignore the GFS output and just follow ecm/ukmo and see if they sing from the same hymn sheet. :)

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, wintermaster said:

Novice question the 2010 event was that from a Easterly ?

Thanks

ENE

1stdec2010.gif

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I remember back in January 1985 and that cold spell and I think it was around 9/10th, an Atlantic depression was forecast to bump into a cold air mass over the UK from the west south west and dump 6 inches or so over the south and this was only 24 hours before the event. Of course the channel Isles was only effected and the MetO left with egg on their face - so a very hard forecast to make currently what will happen end of next week, maybe a 24 hours or less before we know will happen.

I remember that well. I was 12 at the time and went to bed expecting to wake up to a load of snow. Wasn't happy!

Anyway, back to the here and now. Just got back from taking the dog for a walk; that wind is freezing!

Edited by Djdazzle

Posted
16 minutes ago, Hellboy said:

Nice to see some of the more experienced posters getting excited about the prospects for NW Kent/SE London. Countryfile forecast will be interesting tomorrow. I imagine when it comes to Friday it'll become rather vague.

I'm hoping for 6 inches here by Thursday/Friday. I would guess anything between 3-10 depending on how lucky/unlucky I am.

Yeah just about anything is possible, I suspect somewhere is going to be going 40cms+ by Thursday which would push it into the range of the historic big easterlies. Where that will be is a big question!

Posted

I Im being really honest I think many places in east Anglia will not see much snow due to the direction of the wind. Places like London and Kent will do very well but i cant see showers/streamers coming into places like Norfolk,Suffolk or Essex except brushing the coast coming down from the north east.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah just about anything is possible, I suspect somewhere is going to be going 40cms+ by Thursday which would push it into the range of the historic big easterlies. Where that will be is a big question!

Nice to see you still on the forums kold. I remember you posting back in 2005 etc. How time has flown! I'm mostly a lurker.

Yeah someone will be very lucky I guess.

Interesting to note, this chart gave me 6 Inches with 8/9 towards Dartford.

Rrea00120030108.gif

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dbarb said:

I Im being really honest I think many places in east Anglia will not see much snow due to the direction of the wind. Places like London and Kent will do very well but i cant see showers/streamers coming into places like Norfolk,Suffolk or Essex except brushing the coast coming down from the north east.

I wager you a virtual tenner that you will be proved very wrong. East Suffolk and Essex are in for a pasting. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cobbett said:

Odd choice of word on the Meto warning

Heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers,

and passengers ?  Well I suppose you could have a stranded vehicle without passengers after they've left before being stranded or.maybe it means that the passengers can't walk after being left stranded due to their car being stranded - hmm i must be bored - need to get outside  :cc_confused:

It means that the drivers, who are the ones who pay for the breakdown cover will be rescued but the passengers will be left stranded, lets hope the passengers have the forsight to take a flask of coffee with them.:nonono:I'm happy to report that baby is flourishing, always a worry to have such a tiny scrap of a thing with cold weather expected.Anyone have any guesses for snow when/accumulations, for this area of the coast. ?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

I think you will do a lot better then us on the east kent coast

Posted

And i will wager a £1000

That is an incredibly bold statement/prediction to make seeing as pretty much every north easterly has cripped SE Essex over my 45 years on this planet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

And i will wager a £1000

That is an incredibly bold statement/prediction to make seeing as pretty much every north easterly has cripped SE Essex over my 45 years on this planet

agreed - i think we're in a great location to do rather well from this set-up

Posted

Met Office steadfast with their latest outlook.

Distruptive snow and blizzard conditions still on the table later next week, suggesting the low will track further south than being predicted by the GFS!

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
26 minutes ago, wintermaster said:

Novice question the 2010 event was that from a Easterly ?

Thanks

yes. a classic ramp followed by carnage

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

I wager you a virtual tenner that you will be proved very wrong. East Suffolk and Essex are in for a pasting. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

And i will wager a £1000

I agree places in south Essex and coastal areas will get a lot of snow but further north up into north Essex and Suffolk im not so sure, but who knows it will all come down to the day and the direction of the streamer.

Edited by Dbarb

Posted

My preparations are complete. Friends think I'm a total loon but I'm not taking any chances. I remember before Christmas the wind chill on my hands while delivering the post, I was almost crying in pain and that was nothing compared to whats about to hit us.

handwarmers.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow - I'm an 80 year old kid at heart!
3 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

It means that the drivers, who are the ones who pay for the breakdown cover will be rescued but the passengers will be left stranded, lets hope the passengers have the forsight to take a flask of coffee with them.:nonono:I'm happy to report that baby is flourishing, always a worry to have such a tiny scrap of a thing with cold weather expected.Anyone have any guesses for snow when/accumulations, for this area of the coast. ?

News to me - re breakdown services - AA certainly takes registered person and all passengers - the registered member does not even have to be driving, nor own, the car.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, bbtablet said:

News to me - re breakdown services - AA certainly takes registered person and all passengers - the registered member does not even have to be driving, nor own, the car.

same for green flag