Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, Big Snow said:

Yep, for your and my locations we want the winds ESE. But I'm sure we'll see something regardless.

Thanks, thought so. Wednesday looks best then, although I can easily see us gaining a covering from Monday afternoon  

Posted

Odd choice of word on the Meto warning

Heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers,

and passengers ?  Well I suppose you could have a stranded vehicle without passengers after they've left before being stranded or.maybe it means that the passengers can't walk after being left stranded due to their car being stranded - hmm i must be bored - need to get outside  :cc_confused:

Posted
1 minute ago, cobbett said:

Odd choice of word on the Meto warning

Heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday. There is the potential for travel delays on roads, with some stranded vehicles and passengers,

and passengers ?  Well I suppose you could have a stranded vehicle without passengers after they've left before being stranded or.maybe it means that the passengers can't walk after being left stranded due to their car being stranded - hmm i must be bored - need to get outside  :cc_confused:

Maybe they meant coaches and busses? :D

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Guess they mean bus route and train passengers .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
16 minutes ago, yamkin said:

GFS 6z from 126h seems too progressive in bringing in milder air. I can see another outlier again!!

That run has begun to suggest that that low will being to sheer away eastwards as it reaches the UK, it would not take much for the low to edge southwards in trajectory and leave all of us cold. I am not expecting any models to be getting this right just yet, but you would expect the movement of milder air to disrupt at the very least against the cold air over France well before it appraoches the UK. 

Oh well lots of fun to get through before then anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

6z Euro 4 bringing in some snow flurries through the early hours of Monday:

18022603_2_2406.gif

Probably in association with the cold front shown on the FAX charts this morning.

Little wash streamer setting up just to the North of the region too:

18022606_2_2406.gif

Posted
1 minute ago, fulham snow said:

Think thermals,gloves,hats on at footie today,that will be blowing up the Thames 

COYW. Time to drive that stake even more firmly into the ground! Cairney in short sleeves as always! ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

Question for the mods are we splitting this thread next week if it does as predicted get streamers and convective snow kicking off..... 

The 2009 event went through pages and pages for london alone. This thread does cover a huge area

I would suggest these two regions if we do split, yes its going to get busy alright.

I mean we can still use both threads, its not like a civil war is about to break out, the North verses the South now is it!:laugh:

map-of-south-east-england-with-london-highlighted-DY6CWE.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Thanks @Nikkib74

Updated UKMO warning 04:36

Expecting ~15cm here by close of play Monday - as long as the winds get NE enough- (75 / 80 degrees )

6AEB8524-A06D-481F-82E7-F5EB6A31E1F8.thumb.png.594f18f5d6f6dba5b2b1aab622ed8bd1.png

Yep NE enuff to send a Thames Streamer right down my throat.

Posted

So I've been away for a couple of hours. Lovely day out there, car temp hovering around 4c to 5c, warm in the sun but darn cold in the wind.

So is south Norwich still in line for a snowflake in the coming days or is it turning into a cold blip with warmer weather by the end of the week?

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

I would suggest these two regions if we do split, yes its going to get busy alright.

I mean we can still use both threads, its not like a civil war is about to break out, the North verses the South now is it!:laugh:

map-of-south-east-england-with-london-highlighted-DY6CWE.jpg

Wow - harsh! Banished!! :rofl:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Yep NE enuff to send a Thames Streamer right down my throat.

EAGLESSS!
We love you we love you we love you and when you play we'll follow we'll follow we'll follow cos' we support the palace the palace the palace and that's the way we like it we like it we like it woahhhhhhhh!

Quality team and fans - Do you watch them much?

Plenty of snow for you guys this week, enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Thanks, thought so. Wednesday looks best then, although I can easily see us gaining a covering from Monday afternoon  

Yeah my impression is scattered showers for us Monday and Tuesday, probably a dusting, and then scope for something more sustained Weds.

Posted

Pretty sure we split it up in 2009 and 2010

Think it was called East Anglia and 3 Countes Thread which included Beds, Bucks and Northern Herts etc

Ask the Mods am sure it can happen, think we ran at 1 page per minute 8 years ago so you will need to be fast to keep up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Much angst over in the mod thread. Lots of north south divide going on just because of the GFS and it’s tracking of the low at the end of next week. We still have no exact idea what’s happening Monday to Weds so why they have their knickers in a twist over something over five days away is mystifying!

At least the mood in here is good :drinks:

• Like 2

Posted

I don't think the thread should split, but bearing in mind confusion on mobiles re locations, perhaps we all just get used to tagging on the end of posts, our location.

nr Danbury Essex 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Think it was called East Anglia and 3 Countes Thread which included Beds, Bucks and Northern Herts etc

Ask the Mods am sure it can happen, think we ran at 1 page per minute 8 years ago so you will need to be fast to keep up

But what about us in South Herts?!?!:D Nobody wants us but we need a home too haha. 

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Yeah it was split, probably not a bad idea given likely big difference in actual weather depending on the flow.

For the sake of the weather similarities I'd push snowray's map well to the SW, especially after the 09 streamer gave Guildford a crazy amount of snow (probably anyone upto portsmouth could synoptically be in a similar weather set-up as the rest of the SE.

• Like 1

Posted

One of my friends messaged me earlier about Friday and Saturday to which I replied

You cannot or nobody can tell where an Area of Low Pressure which has not even formed yet will track for 6-7 days ahead and if they do

DONT BELIEVE THEM!

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, saint said:

But what about us in South Herts?!?!:D Nobody wants us but we need a home too haha. 

S Herts is defo London and SE Thread :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Looking east to the North Sea and after a pure blue sky earlier, cloud already moving in, wind increasing too. I feel a best from the east coming 

This whole week has had the classic ‘old’ easterly build up. Gradually getting cooler, then hinting at cold, starting to feel very cold in the wind and the clearly different drier continental air - even a bit of still and chilly murk and drizzle, a la the prelude to Feb 86, moving into a grumbling North Sea and then kicked off overnight by a little bit of organised snow coming in behind the initial push of 528 dam air (a la Jan 87). A beautiful, nostalgic thing. 

• Like 2

Posted

I made a 10 quid bet with my mate that Essex will get a lot of snow this week. Knowing my luck the streamer will go to the south and we will get a dusting.

• Like 1