Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
2 minutes ago, Long haul to mild said:

Also, the precipitation forecast percentages on the BBC app nowadays appear to have been randomly plucked from the air and are always really low, even when very unsettled weather is forecast. It's always been my bugbear with Meteogroup from when I used their Weatherpro app; they'll tell you there's a 10% chance of rain even though you know there's a frontal system heading in, then when it gets here and it starts tipping it down, it changes the probability to 100%! Great.

oh the Weatherpro app - lolo :crazy:

Gxd help us

Time to just go outside and look up in the sky for better!

Posted

I was very pleased with my forethought earlier. I gathered suitable sticks for the snow family before they would have - hopefully - got buried in snow.

Edited by Sarah Anne
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

Rob McElwee was the perfect presenter; the right mix of knowledge and gravitas. I always remember December 09 when he gave a really wintry forecast for the weekend, and signed off with: "Oh, and then there's Monday still to come..." And gave a little evil cackle.

I wish he was still about he was my fav, you could see the excitement in his eyes - now it’s just same old dog biscuits a much welcome warm up I can just see it now. :( 

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I wish he was still about he was my fav, you could see the excitement in his eyes - now it’s just same old dog biscuits a much welcome warm up I can just see it now. :( 

He was a legend 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Night folks,back tomoz,and another day closer,to hopefully some serious snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Lots of talk about the SE being in the best position (and some parts of S Suffolk) but not so sure Norfolk will be as lucky (or unlucky). Even with the potential at the end of the week the northern limits seem to fall short. Come along now, it's been 30 years (1991 didn't produce so much as a single snowflake!). Back off with the SE'ly flow please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Euro4 this evening is starting to pick up on PPN moving towards EA along with -11c uppers on Sunday at 18.00, look at all that cold moving in from the North Sea.

Tomorrow will be interesting, we will start to get a better idea of where streamers/bands of showers might turn up, and timing too.

18022518_2318.gif

18022518_2318-1.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Lots of talk about the SE being in the best position (and some parts of S Suffolk) but not so sure Norfolk will be as lucky (or unlucky). Even with the potential at the end of the week the northern limits seem to fall short. Come along now, it's been 30 years (1991 didn't produce so much as a single snowflake!). Back off with the SE'ly flow please!

I wouldn’t be sure about the ECM has some of the deepest snows in Norfolk along with Isle of Sheppey. Just under a foot along north Norfolk coast ECM has a bias too of failing with inland progression too..

A28E577B-F3A6-4880-8377-2DF054D67C47.thumb.png.0e33d524dc2ea28f6a57cb19fe3bc100.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
19 minutes ago, Sarah Anne said:

1987 is the first snow i remember. Lived in shadoxhurst. Essentialsnwere delivered on tractors. The drifts were 8ft or more

That set the bar for me and is what i long for again 

Small world, I lived in Shadoxhurst in 1987, Park Farm Close,  remember the onset, as I went with my father to his office in London on the train on a Sunday with just a few flurries in the city, then when we went home to Ashford on the train, the snow suddenly started getting heavier and deeper on the ground through Kent, on the drive home from the station through the open countryside there were big drifts building over the road so had to get out the car and help shovel snow, at the young age of 11, never will forget. No school much of the next week.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sarah Anne said:

I was very pleased with my forethought earlier. I gathered suitable sticks for the snow family before they would have - hopefully - got buried in snow.

Photos or you didn't do it..

Chickens and Snow 7th Feb 2012 035_.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I wouldn’t be sure about the ECM has some of the deepest snows in Norfolk along with Isle of Sheppey. Just under a foot along north Norfolk coast ECM has a bias too of failing with inland progression too..

A28E577B-F3A6-4880-8377-2DF054D67C47.thumb.png.0e33d524dc2ea28f6a57cb19fe3bc100.png

It would have to progress like an express train to get far enough inland :rofl:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

It would have to progress like an express train to get far enough inland :rofl:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_3d.php?icon=1&mode=2&lat=50&lon=0&ech=120&zoom=6

this^ combined with convection over many miles of relatively (in comparison to upper temps)warm sea in the channel/north sea should make some snow for plenty of folk

oh it's too much excitement, sleep beckons to wake on Tuesday.. 

Posted

I’d love to wipe the grin of some folks faces who are seriously playing it down courtesy of BBC weather probably. I won’t need to do that the weather will. I’ve been accused of all sorts lol! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, Heavy snow

Hi all,

Anyone else in Suffolk concerned about the lack of precipitation? I mean I realise that steamers etc will form, but when you look at met office etc it doesn't show much at all. Just a bit of light snow. Wondering if the winds need to be more NE then E for us to benefit?

Surely the METO would pick up on shower activity and will have detailed charts with convection rates etc?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, geg1992 said:

Hi all,

Anyone else in Suffolk concerned about the lack of precipitation? I mean I realise that steamers etc will form, but when you look at met office etc it doesn't show much at all. Just a bit of light snow. Wondering if the winds need to be more NE then E for us to benefit?

Surely the METO would pick up on shower activity and will have detailed charts with convection rates etc?

No, even now it's too early to nail down precipitation. Relax and look forward to radar watching from Sunday evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Hi all,

I'm just a few miles North of you. I wouldn't take much notice of the apps, they are taken directly from data provided by one model and won't be accurate regarding precipitation. Anything north of an easterly is best for us. Some of us could do VERY well next week but as always, others may not....all boils down to luck. The best advice I can give is get the Netweather radar and keep an eye from Sunday evening onwards.

Posted

Hi all,

Depends where in Suffolk you are. I would expect anywhere east of a line from lowestoft down through Stowmarket and to sudbury to get in on the streamers, with those closest to the coast getting 10cm+ those nearer the line maybe 5cm. Further west across the county it will be down to any more organised bands of snow coming. More should be known by Monday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi everyone. Really hope everyone gets snow! Its been a while since a easterly really delivered to all you lot, hope you can share around big dumping of it!  Out of interest does anyone think with the extreme low uppers and relatively warm sea we could see snow showers penetrate as far as Central Southern England. Into Oxon/Bucks/Berks? I’d be intrigued to hear views. In meantime strap yourselves in going to be a fun week! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

No, even now it's too early to nail down precipitation. Relax and look forward to radar watching from Sunday evening.

You're right, thanks!

Posted
2 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

I'm just a few miles North of you. I wouldn't take much notice of the apps, they are taken directly from data provided by one model and won't be accurate regarding precipitation. Anything north of an easterly is best for us. Some of us could do VERY well next week but as always, others may not....all boils down to luck. The best advice I can give is get the Netweather radar and keep an eye from Sunday evening onwards.

That's what I keep trying to tell my self haha, hopefully we will get a good covering!

Posted
2 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Depends where in Suffolk you are. I would expect anywhere east of a line from lowestoft down through Stowmarket and to sudbury to get in on the streamers, with those closest to the coast getting 10cm+ those nearer the line maybe 5cm. Further west across the county it will be down to any more organised bands of snow coming. More should be known by Monday. 

I'm in East Ipswich :) Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, pinball wizard said:

Same!! 

Fingers crossed for us then! :)

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Hi everyone. Really hope everyone gets snow! Its been a while since a easterly really delivered to all you lot, hope you can share around big dumping of it!  Out of interest does anyone think with the extreme low uppers and relatively warm sea we could see snow showers penetrate as far as Central Southern England. Into Oxon/Bucks/Berks? I’d be intrigued to hear views. In meantime strap yourselves in going to be a fun week! 

Hi, haven’t seen you in a while. Yes that is likely while there won’t be as many. That’s what happened in the past. Also so,e disturbances in flow and that would give organised snowfall inland.