Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Wow Amazing snow for the SE on latest GFS - Blizzard like conditions

144-574UK.GIF

Bear in mind that those charts show the total precipitation over a six hour period. Looks great though!

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

High risk, high reward. Just look at the snow potential...

Its the pub run... pure entertainment but has to be taken seriously when you like the output :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Bear in mind that those charts show the total precipitation over a six hour period. Looks great though!

those 6 hours will give me more snow than I have seen in the last 8 years . . . .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
2 minutes ago, exodus said:

Anyone got the Laying snow chart by next Saturday?

It's on the Netweather charts: https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

Its the pub run... pure entertainment but has to be taken seriously when you like the output :rofl:

Nothing to do with whether I like it or not, just a comment on an output. The ‘pub’ run shouldn’t be disregarded anyway

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
21 minutes ago, Brocken Spectre said:

So let's say here in Kent/Essex we get snow, say 5-10cm Mon/Tues.  We should have roughly 850 temps of about -12.  What will that translate as at 2m temps overnight.  I understand that day temps will probably not go abaove freezing Tue/Wed/Thu but what about overnight?  Are we look at -10 possibly here over any "snowfields"??

Depends if the skies clear and the wind drops, if it’s cloudy and windy temps may only fall to around -5C, but unlikely -10C. 

Sub zero day maxes progged for  Wednesday and Thursday :cold:

154DD9BA-B27E-4505-84A8-28842CFF981B.thumb.png.08138dd3b295f2afb9ab2cd0e30ae0ae.pngA8727913-5BEE-413E-80E0-B900B5153BA5.thumb.png.adced58f10ffcc2ab5d6ad36a53200a3.png

Going to be a lot of burst water pipes for the water companies to deal with when the thaw comes in March, not mention many more potholes appearing like after winter 2010/11. A small sacrifice for enjoying a rare brutal cold spell from the east.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Im frightened. I have this feeling of impending doom that maidstone east sussex and north kent get the lions share and we in ashford get a dusting ...

For those lucky people with snow... if it is of powder type ... i may be about to embaress myself... but if you add some water to.it like sand woukd it make it more sticky?

• Like 1

Posted

Good thing about this time of year is The warmer air sitting over the med is very keen to spin up lows into any cold intrusion - snow is always the end result. It does however tend to shorten the cold spell duration as we are seeing next week but if it ends in snow blizzard chaos who cares! :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, Sarah Anne said:

Im frightened. I have this feeling of impending doom that maidstone east sussex and north kent get the lions share and we in ashford get a dusting ...

For those lucky people with snow... if it is of powder type ... i may be about to embaress myself... but if you add some water to.it like sand woukd it make it more sticky?

you could always try adding boiling water to it and see what happens . . . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

@yamkin have you had any reply/response to your BBC/Meteo post yet? The beeb are going to be a laughing stock if they keep this up! Am hoping it will push them back to the met

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
15 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Turning to rain though - GFS 18z moves that feature somewhat north and sits over the country mixing the cold uppers out in our part of the world, it really needs to be south and east (on the near continent) like the GEFS/ECM means show...

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
14 minutes ago, exodus said:

Anyone got the Laying snow chart by next Saturday?

The way those things are probably 1cm in the sweet spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
2 hours ago, Chris101 said:

The only worry is, i remember trying to build snowmen and snowballs in 87 and you just couldn't because of the dry powderiness.:cold::wallbash:

No such thing as the "wrong type" of snow. After many snowless years im happy take it anyway it comes :)

• Like 3

Posted

Wow, I’m lost for words with the BBC forecast......7 degrees in London on Sunday. Why the hell did they drop the Met Office as a provider ??

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

My art teacher was really cool too. Sadly in Poole i dont remember having snow when doing O level Art. Wasnt it GCSE in 87? Yep I am old enough to know when O levels ended....

Last year of O Levels. I know this because I also did the first year of GCSE maths, having to re-take. Thankfully, it was easier! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes this could be the case this time too I'm afraid, theres always some sort of negative that you can find in a big positive I guess.

87 was when British rail coined the infamous phrase, "the wrong kind of snow", because it was in fact very powdery and blew into places where it had never gone before.:D

This train was buried somewhere in Kent.

F0951.jpg

What a truly fabulous photo! ????

Posted
5 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Wow, I’m lost for words with the BBC forecast......7 degrees in London on Sunday. Why the hell did they drop the Met Office as a provider ??

I feel for the professionals having to present crap on a mix of models we all see. Now let’s look at the Met Office. They have been steadfast in their approach for well over a month now thanks to GLOSEA and MOGREPS. The Met Office is by far the superior weather service, the BBC, with their cheap renewal, a joke!

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

@yamkin have you had any reply/response to your BBC/Meteo post yet? The beeb are going to be a laughing stock if they keep this up! Am hoping it will push them back to the met

Nothing back from them which is no surprise. I think the forecasters are protesting over something. They could be in disagreement with their new boss MeteoGroup

• Thanks 1