Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

oh of course! i told her today we might get enough snow to build a snowman and she said "wow! i might get to see a real snowman!" 

The only worry is, i remember trying to build snowmen and snowballs in 87 and you just couldn't because of the dry powderiness.:cold::wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
21 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I’ve not been on here for a while because I let my emotions get carried away with me, and got annoyed about posts directed at me which I should have ignored. I would like to apologise to Paul Sherman. I think I have a lot to contribute to the group and would love to be included once again.

Emotions tend to get a bit carried away by many people on this forum. People are all too often willing to take a long term forecast as gospel and then wonder why, when things get closer to the timeframe, things change and then get annoyed when it doesn't go their way...

This cold period is nailed-on, but what isn't is the precipitation.

The further East you are in our region, the more likely you are to have persistent and (at times) heavy precipitation. Those of us further inland will have to rely on streamers and frontal systems to get anything of worth. The thing to do is to keep an eye on the radar from Sunday night onwards... There are many chances of a Thames streamer developing, but even then, the snowfall can be VERY localised, so some places will see snow, others not.

For my location, things are still very much in the air, I could see streamer action, but as so many times in the past, I reckon that many of us further West in the region might be left clutching at straws until a more organised band of showers or a frontal system arrives.

Best of luck to all, but please, let's not get jealous of those who happen to be lucky.

(By the way, good to see you back CK)

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 4

Posted

I live up in the Chilterns, did very well in December but a little concerned of missing out on all the fun this time round. Would a Thames streamer go this far north??

Posted

Omg just realised Dover isn't in the yellow zone!!!

Rain and sleet fest for us? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

I just wonder if people are taking notice.  I've seen a hell of a lot of online shopping lorries about tonight on my travels ... More than usual

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I’ve not been on here for a while because I let my emotions get carried away with me, and got annoyed about posts directed at me which I should have ignored. I would like to apologise to Paul Sherman. I think I have a lot to contribute to the group and would love to be included once again.

Welcome back ! We all let things get to us at time it’s called being human ... one more hissy fit and your on the naughty step after that it’s facing the corner ( joke) ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
19 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

curious to know is it due to snow most days next week?? Will it really reach the SE as much as they say?? So many different apps saying different things got me a little worried

You still following those useless apps??

Image result for dumbfounded

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
5 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Omg just realised Dover isn't in the yellow zone!!!

Rain and sleet fest for us? 

No you will get snow if there are any showers but there is no warning for you as not much is expected. I don't believe anywhere in the UK is going to see sleet let alone rain for at least a week now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

As an aside, is everyone practising reverse psychology with this upcoming feast of epic proportions?

Seems very quiet on here....people staying away in case they jinx it? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I am sorry to anyone I upset. We’re here to discuss the weather and my god, don’t we have a lot to discuss. @Surrey wow wow wow at the latest outputs. 

Now, any of you guys around the Thames estuary must be jumping for joy, and I don’t blame you.

Usually I’d think Kent would be buried with snow, but I think the current wind profile favours a Thames streamer. 

My location sometimes does well from a Thames streamer if the flow is 90 degrees....we’ll see.

My punt before any frontal activity is as follows:

East and north Kent adjacent to the estuary.

South Essex / Suffolk adjecent to the estuary.

With a 90 degree flow London and the shires should be in the game. In fact, with the temperature differential (uppers and sea surface) being 22c, we could see more extensive bands of snow moving east to west across the Thames valley.

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!
1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

It’s friday night ... go get hissed lol think they all are 

I would, but I'm train driving tomorrow morning.  They take a dim view of hammering around South Essex whilst Brahms and Liszt or even hungover, for good reason. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
36 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Ermm, i hope thats after snowman building with your daughter:wink:

My little girl is 6 this year and like yours never had the fun of building one, by the time i was her age i'd built a good few:)

Liam Dutton tweeted yesterday that we will struggle to build snowmen  as it's too dry a type of snow "powder snow"? ( pours some water into the garden)

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jayces said:

No you will get snow if there are any showers but there is no warning for you as not much is expected. I don't believe anywhere in the UK is going to see sleet let alone rain for at least a week now.

I find it fascinating that 3 miles away will see snow and we won't? 

Posted

Anyone remember the old snow depth battles we used to have on here ??

Considering how many potential days of snow we have in front of us there should be enough to enable a few elimination rounds !

I dont mind helping organise if anyone is interested for next week :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

I am sorry to anyone I upset. We’re here to discuss the weather and my god, don’t we have a lot to discuss. @Surrey wow wow wow at the latest outputs. 

Now, any of you guys around the Thames estuary must be jumping for joy, and I don’t blame them. 

Usually I’d think Kent would be buried with snow, but I think the current wind profile favours a Thames streamer. 

My location sometimes does well from a Thames streamer if the flow is 90 degrees....we’ll see.

My punt before any frontal activity is as follows:

East and north Kent adjacent to the estuary.

South Essex / Suffolk adjecent to the estuary.

With a 90 degree flow London and the shires should be in the game. In fact, with the temperature differential (uppers and sea surface) being 22c, we could see more extensive bands of snow moving east to west across the Thames valley.

Evening CK, yes, Thames Valley could do very well again though lots of other places will do very well if you catch one of these streamers. 

Pretty tired this evening from work as the cold kicked in with the wind earlier it drains you. That's just the beginning.. 

I don't think I've ever seen what we are about to enter being shown next week. Showers go from Sunday night and lasting most of the week before something very very special may happen.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
4 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

It’s friday night ... go get hissed lol think they all are 

i'm too old for that malarky . . . . and besides, only 40 mins until the GFS pub run ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & T-Storms
On 22/02/2018 at 17:28, starstream said:

What exactly does that mean, or is it specific to your company ? E.g. Are you an AA man ?

It’s a fair question, we invest for corporate investors and pension funds, cold weather impacts the financial markets, so we pay for the best advanced data. Our meteorological analyst looked at the data and advised 1. Buy energy stocks now 2. Placed company business travellers on red alert (me being one), and invoked the disaster recovery plan, which is non essential travel (ie don’t both coming to the office and forget flights), this is in place all of next week. Personally I think we will make an absolute killing on the energy stocks ?

Posted
25 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Emotions tend to get a bit carried away by many people on this forum. People are all too often willing to take a long term forecast as gospel and then wonder why, when things get closer to the timeframe, things change and then get annoyed when it doesn't go their way...

This cold period is nailed-on, but what isn't is the precipitation.

The further East you are in our region, the more likely you are to have persistent and (at times) heavy precipitation. Those of us further inland will have to rely on streamers and frontal systems to get anything of worth. The thing to do is to keep an eye on the radar from Sunday night onwards... There are many chances of a Thames streamer developing, but even then, the snowfall can be VERY localised, so some places will see snow, others not.

For my location, things are still very much in the air, I could see streamer action, but as so many times in the past, I reckon that many of us further West in the region might be left clutching at straws until a more organised band of showers or a frontal system arrives.

Best of luck to all, but please, let's not get jealous of those who happen to be lucky.

(By the way, good to see you back CK)

Yeah it's tricky for anyone further north and west in our region. I think there is a fair chance of streamers setting up which could benefit west / north-west London up into Bucks and Herts if the winds swings ESE. Think Feb 09.

Edited by Big Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
30 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

oh of course! i told her today we might get enough snow to build a snowman and she said "wow! i might get to see a real snowman!" 

Not according to Mr Dutton as I just posted on a previous reply( wrong snow type?) what are the chances atleast it won't be marginal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So things still to get;

Highly concentrated screenwash, going to need it to resist the cold and not freeze over.

A shovel - To dig myself out of the drive

A ruler - To measure my snow, maybe a metre ruler (Just in case 30cm isn't enough:D )

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
1 minute ago, Dorset_mist said:

It’s a fair question, we invest for corporate investors and pension funds, cold weather impacts the financial markets, so we pay for the best advanced data. Our meteorological analyst looked at the data and advised 1. Buy energy stocks now 2. Placed company business travellers on red alert (me being one), and invoked the disaster recovery plan, which is non essential travel (ie don’t both coming to the office and forget flights), this is in place all of next week. Personally I think we will make an absolute killing on the energy stocks ?

Thanks for the clarity :)