Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
54 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Still going strong at 216 -

This is probably the best ECM run ever-

DA1C1BC4-8740-4517-B599-76C9B9757DC9.thumb.png.1be455bc5dc71f27a9d868f06e782d66.png

I bet youre in the sun having a few drinks and are loving life with these charts and snow to return to

Posted
8 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

latest Beeb forecast went for no rain this weekend, but it will be chilly.:rofl:

You get better weather information by watching the Simpsons..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Buzzit said:

Hi All,

I am restarting Grover watch after a few years away from the thread.. happy foraging next week .. got big food shop arriving sunday thankfully.. as people including your freindly neighbourhood grover keep saying.. try and keep an eye on people less able to cope next week

Hey - Perhaps some snow us! I suspect the Teddington snow shield has just been serviced though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
20 minutes ago, Looksgood@day10 said:

I’ve not had a chance to look at the 12z GFS, but I think the 0z was far too progressive with the low pressure from the south. I can’t see, and can’t remember, a low pressure making inroads from the south so aggressively against a cold block. I think the GFS tends to be over progressive, so the ECM solution is probably my punt!

Thanks for that

i agree that any breakdown early next week looks too progressive with the deep cold air in place. 

Snow Totals: I won’t start looking until Sunday night for them. ??

• Like 2

Posted

well... in the event we get the full snow potential, i cant wait to go out for a drive in the snow. just in case, i've got 2× 2 tonne strops, a tow-rope, 2× 3 tonne hi-lift jacks which can be used for winching, a shovel and a bag of rock salt. i should be ok....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
28 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

latest Beeb forecast went for no rain this weekend, but it will be chilly.:rofl:

You get better weather information by watching the Simpsons..

Or by reading the Daily Express 

Posted

Not overly concerned but the met office app showing very little snow for my location (Romford) for Monday - Wednesday. How do these apps get their data as it totally goes against the models? I know these apps are useless in this situation but even so you'd think they'd show a bit more snow than they do. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Plough King said:

Hey - Perhaps some snow us! I suspect the Teddington snow shield has just been serviced though!

there is not going to be anywhere around greater London that does not see some snow this time around ! 

I will have to put my thermal with inbuilt heater flying pants on next week but I am worried about a short circuit

Posted
8 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

well... in the event we get the full snow potential, i cant wait to go out for a drive in the snow. just in case, i've got 2× 2 tonne strops, a tow-rope, 2× 3 tonne hi-lift jacks which can be used for winching, a shovel and a bag of rock salt. i should be ok....

Ermm, i hope thats after snowman building with your daughter:wink:

My little girl is 6 this year and like yours never had the fun of building one, by the time i was her age i'd built a good few:)

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

WRF is still forecasting a thames streamer starting around 00z Monday. Wind is a touch more due east so it targets area a touch north of the 06z version. Models tomorrow will be bringing this possiblity into range.

Hopefully for me a NE Thames Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
48 minutes ago, Looksgood@day10 said:

Hi guys, I hope you’re all looking forward to our beast (at last). I’ve been lurking for a while, but it’s a great time to contribute here. I have quite an extensive knowledge when it comes to meteorology, so hopefully I can add some positive insights!

Glad to have your input!

Posted

I’ve not been on here for a while because I let my emotions get carried away with me, and got annoyed about posts directed at me which I should have ignored. I would like to apologise to Paul Sherman. I think I have a lot to contribute to the group and would love to be included once again.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

curious to know is it due to snow most days next week?? Will it really reach the SE as much as they say?? So many different apps saying different things got me a little worried

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, Number 23 said:

It's a bugger being here in Chelmsford sometimes especially in a NE'ly - watching the showers just fizzle out as they get here!

Think we're OK this time though lol.

Well I sincerely hope so.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Ermm, i hope thats after snowman building with your daughter:wink:

My little girl is 6 this year and like yours never had the fun of building one, by the time i was her age i'd built a good few:)

oh of course! i told her today we might get enough snow to build a snowman and she said "wow! i might get to see a real snowman!" 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Well hopefully we're on the cusp of a really special event. Really liked both UKMO/ECM 12z runs, tonight. As Steve M., suggests we all get an invite to the table, with flow varying between SE.>E>NE. And from my own IMBY POV, think up here in SE.London, have a decent shout at the fabled, Thames Streamer!! 

Sorry to name drop for a moment but had a quick phone conversation with Ian Currie, weather presenter and co-author of the County Weather books, which some of you might own. Ian owns a company called Frosted Earth and supplies LRFs to clients.He's very happy with his LRF for this Winter. He suggested a coldish spell in Dec. ( we had a little snow, here in Lee ), a mostly mild Jan and then a cold spell in Feb, to round off Winter but even Ian has been taken aback, at what the models are suggesting, next week. Re. the possible encroachment of low pressure, in the south, at the end of next week, he reminded me that some of the countries greatest snowfalls, have occurred in March, citing 1891 as an example, when entrenched cold, finally relinquishes its grip, to milder, Spring time air. 

Going to post a link to Leo Bonacinas', superb documenting of British snowfall events. Enjoy!!

http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather/bonacina.html

Quite a few notable March snowfalls, included there.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.
10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Not overly concerned but the met office app showing very little snow for my location (Romford) for Monday - Wednesday. How do these apps get their data as it totally goes against the models? I know these apps are useless in this situation but even so you'd think they'd show a bit more snow than they do. 

I’d pay no attention to them mate, they are computer generated with no human input. I felt the same during the 2010 spell, and I got this...?

137E301B-5853-4E9E-89BA-4DF7800DD583.jpeg

96E979B0-DCD7-443B-952D-58D7CF5FFF19.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

I know I shouldnt mention snow depths but its annoying when all i see is a few inches forecast. I mean its great having really cold weather BUT tbh if it meant cold weather and no snow I'd rather have the spring. Kill joy maybe but I have family coming from california tomorrow, they never see snow, I want them to see the UK come to a halt with a few inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
5 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

curious to know is it due to snow most days next week?? Will it really reach the SE as much as they say?? So many different apps saying different things got me a little worried

I think we’ve every chance which is all we can really ask for. Several chances at that next week and beyond by the looks of it.

Historically, the hardest thing has been getting sufficient cold in to avoid the dreaded marginality and we seemed to have cleared that hurdle.

Also worth saying, in the past, things have cropped up at short notice that the models haven’t been able to predict.