Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

lookeast  still not dare mention what could be coming at the end  of week i have never see the bbc weather  so bad

10 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

so does this mean we will get another snow showers from sw? (I am asking for Brighton)? Charts indicate that it gets milder on March 2nd in SE, or did i get it wrong?

yes Brighton best scenario is SE winds over a longish track from NW france with deep cold air!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, tinybill said:

lookeast  still not dare mention what could be coming at the end  of week i have never see the bbc weather  so bad

BBC weather really has become a joke, not one single snow symbol on that look east forecast.

For lot's of people these forecasts are the only means of weather information, really is poor from the  BBC. If you went by tonights forecast alone you would just think it's going to be chilly next week but nothing more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

is everyone with weather nouse on here absolutely 100% sure that we arent in a 'another failed easterly' meltdown scenario ? ;)

Posted
20 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Be careful those charts are very indicative/vague of where precip ‘could’ fall - actual precipitation on the day will be more localised/scattered. They aren’t indicative of solid precipitation where precipitation is in the form of showers. 

yes mate. i've been on here long enough to know that GFS snow charts are unreliable and how they work. however, they are still showing a lot more than the MetO are forecasting. having said that, some of the short range hi-res models are showing more realistic amounts. but it has to be said, even john hammond said that models often underplay precipitation amounts and for now, the MetO will be going with the models. personally, whatever the models show under normal circumstances, i always take note of the MetO forecasts. where snow is concerned, its a whole different (snow)ball-game...

Posted

Hi guys, I hope you’re all looking forward to our beast (at last). I’ve been lurking for a while, but it’s a great time to contribute here. I have quite an extensive knowledge when it comes to meteorology, so hopefully I can add some positive insights!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It appears the GFS is in troll mode with regards to the nation wide snow it is forecasting next week 

5 minutes ago, Looksgood@day10 said:

Hi guys, I hope you’re all looking forward to our beast (at last). I’ve been lurking for a while, but it’s a great time to contribute here. I have quite an extensive knowledge when it comes to meteorology, so hopefully I can add some positive insights!

Welcome :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi All,

I am restarting Grover watch after a few years away from the thread.. happy foraging next week .. got big food shop arriving sunday thankfully.. as people including your freindly neighbourhood grover keep saying.. try and keep an eye on people less able to cope next week

Posted

Are the BBC really playing it down, or do they genuinely believe that there will be minimal snowfall due to the dry cold air ? I don't go along with the silly hype words I see such as ' gonna be buried' and 48 hr blizzards if that comes off  etc etc.

I think many inland areas may stay very cold, frosty but mainly dry. My phone app ( which I know is crap) doesn't show a single snowflake right through to next week. ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
8 minutes ago, Looksgood@day10 said:

Welcome ?

whats your thoughts on the up coming pattern ?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, shotski said:

Welcome ?

whats your thoughts on the up coming pattern ?

I’ve not had a chance to look at the 12z GFS, but I think the 0z was far too progressive with the low pressure from the south. I can’t see, and can’t remember, a low pressure making inroads from the south so aggressively against a cold block. I think the GFS tends to be over progressive, so the ECM solution is probably my punt!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
41 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

It's a bugger being here in Chelmsford sometimes especially in a NE'ly - watching the showers just fizzle out as they get here!

Think we're OK this time though lol.

But haven't mid Essex already done well in December etc we'e not had any in 5 years. The thing with your location is you can still do ok from Northerlies unlike south of Essex and my part of NW kent

Last one from me -

The ECM shows pretty much Eutopia for the SE - With the best thing being the wind swing from E > NE > E > SE - meaning the shower spread effects everyone, infact those in the more southern counties may start slow but the last 24 hours has seen upgrades of the SE flow ( something to monitor 120-144 )

Then the potential for a channel runner- Dont get to excited on that yet- lots of wiggle room on that yet north & more especially south...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, fatyido said:

Are the BBC really playing it down, or do they genuinely believe that there will be minimal snowfall due to the dry cold air ? I don't go along with the silly hype words I see such as ' gonna be buried' and 48 hr blizzards if that comes off  etc etc.

I think many inland areas may stay very cold, frosty but mainly dry. My phone app ( which I know is crap) doesn't show a single snowflake right through to next week. ?

Often we see ridiculous claims being made on this forum and people getting flamed for stating that obviously there won't be a foot of snow, instead its three coldish days and a bit of slush. On this occasion its the BBC forecasts that are bizarre. Also the lack of detail is disappointing. On Sunday temps will rise a little in the morning but will likely then fall steadily through the day. You would think that might be useful for people to know on a weekend day!!

Posted
1 hour ago, Crystal Memories said:

Someone must have a scientific reason for it because quite often showers go around Deal :cc_confused:

I think we will be fine, just the way it's been drawn on.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, DAVID SNOW said:

latest Beeb forecast went for no rain this weekend, but it will be chilly.:rofl:

You get better weather information by watching the Simpsons..

Indeed, Mr Plough might be in business next week :D

Posted

Ive just put carrots potatoes and brussels sprouts in to cook, ready for a nice oxo broth tomorrow.Looking forward to it with the cold weather starting, also sme porridge in the morning and hot chocolate through the day.I was very surprised at how quiet it was in the supermarket today.

• Like 2