Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
28 minutes ago, Hellboy said:

Although it's not advisable to predict exactly where/when/how much snow there will be, it's always fun to predict. 

Looking at XC weather based on the 06Z GFS my location is looking at 20CM+ by this time next week. All subject to change though of course. 

New to this and also from strood where we always seem to miss out but hopefully this time around we get snowed in 

Posted

Just come back from the shops after stocking up on cold weather supplies and the wind has picked up here now and the sky has turned grey.

According to my friends I am now officially mad after buying a snow shovel and salt for the car. For myself I've got thermal base layers, gloves,socks, some spikies for my shoes, bovril, hot chocolate and mini marshmallows. Just ordered some handwarmers so hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. I hate working outdoors when the weather hits extremes. I'm going to look like a right idiot if this event doesn't show......lol

Posted
8 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

I hope Brighton will get some snow as well, it's just outide of the warning zone damn it :(

Really not sure why so many get so uptight as to whether they are in or just outside a warning zone. It is only an approximate guide not the gospel truth.  

Suggest you look at the overall picture and try a judge from what is said elsewhere to get idea as whether you might get snow or not. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Hi there Steve, what do you make of the UKMO? - seems slow to shift the Scandinavian High west to 'merge' with the Greenland GP and as a consequence we seem to end up with more of a ESE flow just after mid-week and does that open us up to more of a quicker breakdown?...disappointed when I saw that this morning.

I think UKMO was to progressive NE today at 144 - however if you look at yesterday’s 12z JMA about 156-192 then a chunk breaks away & it’s not a problem

Also look at GFS control of you want a snow maker !

• Like 1

Snow grains will feature in the window view especially Sunday Day- that’s because there is low instability but enough to create very shallow convection- hence small chunks of ice - These are very common is low dew point SE flows....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

It's certainly not a 'given' that everywhere will see deep snow next week, for the record ! We all know what convective snow shower environments are like - your buddy down the road will have snow all day whilst you are ''enjoying'' freezing sunshine with not a snowflake in sight !! 

That's why we should all be hoping that this big nasty low can get going to the south and provide widespread snow fun for all later next week!! :D:D:D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
5 minutes ago, k66yla said:

Just come back from the shops after stocking up on cold weather supplies and the wind has picked up here now and the sky has turned grey.

According to my friends I am now officially mad after buying a snow shovel and salt for the car. For myself I've got thermal base layers, gloves,socks, some spikies for my shoes, bovril, hot chocolate and mini marshmallows. Just ordered some handwarmers so hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. I hate working outdoors when the weather hits extremes. I'm going to look like a right idiot if this event doesn't show......lol

I think I might have to wear gloves for the first time in about 5 years. Now - have I actually got any gloves? I have gardening gloves, will they do? And a hat.....oh dear Lord! At least I have thermals and lined over trousies (which I virtually live in anyway).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

So we all have a ticket to the lottery now. Fun times!

I'd be very surprised not to see in the region of 2-3 inches here up to Tuesday night. At least what we got here in December, but without the marginality and rapid thaw of course. Someone will get a hammering I'm sure.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

So we all have a ticket to the lottery now. Fun times!

I'd be very surprised not to see in the region of 2-3 inches here up to Tuesday night. At least what we got here in December, but without the marginality and rapid thaw of course. Someone will get a hammering I'm sure.

I'd be more impressed with 7 or 8 inches myself....:crazy:

Like you say, everyone has a ticket... places not favoured so much by convection (like me) could benefit heavily from the low at day 6 or so more than others, everyone will get a chance I hope!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Arrows1986 said:

Im not sure about the warning thats been put out from this site. 5 to 10cm thats like half an in to 4 inches..really?

at this early stage there is no need to be more specific or to generate widespread panic by stating 15/20 cms which is more than feasible down eastern coastal counties 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, spayne said:

for once I'm not working after today till next Friday, so camera gear at the ready and batteries charging.!!

Feels good doesn't it, i'm off for the next 2 weeks, give me a chance to go and help round the village if its needed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

10 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I'd be more impressed with 7 or 8 inches myself....:crazy:

Like you say, everyone has a ticket... places not favoured so much by convection (like me) could benefit heavily from the low at day 6 or so more than others, everyone will get a chance I hope!

Indeed - I would as well! Hope you get something down there as I know how hard it is to get settling snow in your location. I'm in that dead zone where a lot of the convection activity is going on above and below me in these set ups, but I'm still confident we'll see something.

Edited by Number 23

Posted
2 hours ago, spayne said:

One  below red be ready to do something !,,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 hours ago, Southender said:

For sure. The whole country will be under at least a yellow.

I am not too bothered yet by being out the zone. In Cobham / Oxshott in the more opportune places you can actually look down into the Thames estuary and see the Shard / City of London / Canary Wharf skyscrapers- so should the streamer get going we normally get a real dumping we had 11’ here overnight Feb 09.

• Like 1

Posted

At  work me boss just been reading our thread the  he's nor trusting the bbc weather to get our yard prepared for next week

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
6 minutes ago, tinybill said:

One  below red be ready to do something !,,

It worries me how many people are not aware of this and may well be really caught out!!! 

• Like 1

Posted

Further to the concern shown by many on this thread about the homeless during the upcoming cold spell, The Mayor of London has just put out this tweet encouraging people to donate to various homeless charities, the full link is:

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/well-never-turn-our-backs-rough-sleepers?source=vanityurl

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!

Screen shot 2018-02-23 at 13.22.36.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

My man at Network rail has told me it is officially 'panic stations'.

Amongst other things they have been testing emergency lighting, prepping snow chains and even checking that the depots have enough food in case people get stuck. 

They seem to think Monday afternoon looks likely to be the landing time for the first organised snow. 

• Like 7

Posted

I think we also need to remember that small features/bands appear at short notice in this type of flow. Can’t wait...

Posted
2 minutes ago, throwoff said:

My man at Network rail has told me it is officially 'panic stations'.

Amongst other things they have been testing emergency lighting, prepping snow chains and even checking that the depots have enough food in case people get stuck. 

They seem to think Monday afternoon looks likely to be the landing time for the first organised snow. 

Hearing the same form my social care clients - full emergency protocols being implemented now (before the weekend when less admin staff are in).