Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
16 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Wouldn't take that as gospel - as Southender says its just a preliminary warning. As and when the charts become clearer it may well be extended/moved dependant on exactly where the lines of snow showers will be. 

As is the case with snow showers - we all know that within an area of 5 miles one person can see 5 inches and the other will get nothing. Hence prepare for potential disappointment... at least until we hopefully see that low get a bit further North on Thursday :) 

oh i'm not taking it as gospel. if the models are right, the warning area will be much bigger. the GFS for example, is consistently showing thames streamers setting up from around monday morning. if that happens, i'm right in the firing line. also, any convective potential won't be picked up until a day or so before. i would expect the warnings to change several times before monday anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves & thunderstorms

I have warned a number of family and friends, including fellow students from overseas, from hot countries, who have never experienced this type of cold before, and also prepared ourselves at home. Going to check up on our 95 year old neighbour today to see whether his heating is alright. Whether they believe it, is a totally different matter. I had put a veiled warning on my FB page last night, without going into too many details, due to fear of being accused of ramping or being like the Daily Express.

I am afraid years of ramping and false headlines by the Daily Express, and other comics, has unfortunately created "a boy cried wolf" scenario, where many members of the wider public are going to take this upcoming cold spell with a pinch of salt, until it comes that is. I hope this doesn't have too many adverse consequences.  

Edited by pandit-scholar
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Wife reporting snow grains in Leigh  On Sea already

Yep. A good sign ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Anaprop?FD3F1C87-DC90-4EF8-871A-589CF2AE892E.thumb.png.257179e70490d9a65a6c929b7bef85ba.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Hmm, off the coast near Margate...

(I don't live there by the way)

Capture.PNG

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The met office cold Amber warning even states they expect the warning zones to upgraded and enlargened. 

All looking good guys, this is the one we have been waiting for since 91 (though 09 was good as well)

Do I detect a ramp there mate?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
47 minutes ago, trickybirdy said:

Smelt the whiff of snow yesterday! Time to get my camera out, dust it down and charge both batteries.  I have two places I want to go to which are local, very old and extremely pretty church in Nuxley Village 'All Saints', got married there in August 2016, so many happy memories. Plus Lessness Abbey, near Thames Mead, got a lot of lovely forest around the area too.  Can't wait for the event to start!  :yahoo:

Yes two very good choices, you will be taking some lovely pictures there, the Abbey in the snow sounds fab, I know them ruins well. Don't forget to post the pics though.:)

• Like 1

Posted

Don't often post, although have been a member since 2004(!). 

Some amazing charts. The GFS06z is particularly good with near constant snow from Monday onwards. Am in Medway for those of us using phones to view the site. 

Even without good synoptics an ENE wind can deliver. I remember 8th of Jan 2003 didn't look particularly impressive synoptically but gave us 6 inches of snow and 9 inches further west around Bluewater/Dartford. Was very localised though as those in southern Medway barely received a covering. 

Anyway, the point being that the incredible charts we're seeing could deliver even more and be widespread. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Uxbridge90 said:

I imagine the Government are already gearing up for a very busy week!

What not another sex scandal on the cards? No. 10's cat not been seen having it off without asking first?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

yes 97/98 - just wait for the 12s to be T48 for sunday

Hi there Steve, what do you make of the UKMO? - seems slow to shift the Scandinavian High west to 'merge' with the Greenland GP and as a consequence we seem to end up with more of a ESE flow just after mid-week and does that open us up to more of a quicker breakdown?...disappointed when I saw that this morning.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

Although it's not advisable to predict exactly where/when/how much snow there will be, it's always fun to predict. 

Looking at XC weather based on the 06Z GFS my location is looking at 20CM+ by this time next week. All subject to change though of course. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
24 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Wife reporting snow grains in Leigh  On Sea already

I remember both 1987 & 1991 events started with Snow Grains. Forecasts were saying Dry but the grains became Flurries within a few hours. the event started 24 -36 hours before the forecasted start time both times IIrc. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
20 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The met office cold Amber warning even states they expect the warning zones to upgraded and enlargened. 

All looking good guys, this is the one we have been waiting for since 91 (though 09 was good as well)

I've been waiting since Jan 1987 for what I call significant snowfall (would have been better to have had the potential before Christmas rather than 2 weeks before lambing...) I did see panic buying in Tesco earlier - one trolley with 10 x 8pks of 2L bottles of water so at least one member of the public has access to a forecast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and not to hot

how do you find out how much snow is going to get dumped in your area?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I've been waiting since Jan 1987 for what I call significant snowfall (would have been better to have had the potential before Christmas rather than 2 weeks before lambing...) I did see panic buying in Tesco earlier - one trolley with 10 x 8pks of 2L bottles of water so at least one member of the public has access to a forecast!

Let's hope this cold event delivers .... although I can't say I'm going panic buying just yet as nothing is set in stone. Maybe the evening before when the charts know what's coming! Difficult to say where and when any big snowfalls will occur - although I see you're in Norfolk, so an ideal location for this kind of set up ! We need that wind direction just right mind you.... details still being firmed up. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dazaaa07 said:

By looking out of the window probably. 

Sorry to be flippant. Snow depths are at best a guesstimate. 

Snow radar will give an indication what might be arriving but not the actual depths dumped. A mile or two up the road might have more or less than you You will have to wait and see. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dazaaa07 said:

You look outside the next day :rofl::cold:

Sorry bud, i just couldn't resist:)

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

I hope Brighton will get some snow as well, it's just outide of the warning zone damn it :(

Tell me about it lol ....?

Posted

I think I’m addicted to this thread even my partner is getting annoyed lol.... I hope if it snows here I’m enjoying it and not stuck to my phone ?