Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Shopping ordered for Sunday delivery and new snow boots - hard to find tbh in my big size 8 I had to go for mens ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Sidsnake said:

Absolutely absolutely.  My husband will have none of it and due to his health he is part of the population that really should be taking notice of the weather.  Even without snow there is going to be unusually severe cold next week which impacts on the population.  I've just come out of our local shop.  Stacked right out with bread.  I'm carrying on regardless and making preparations for next week.  

T Wells is one of my jackpot zones. London could miss out on the heaviest snow to start off with, I keep seeing more of a NEly so the streamers will most likely effect areas East/North East and South of London. Having said this some runs show perfectly aligned showers or bands of snow hitting London and getting well inland too, although a reminder that we really do need to keep the wind direction Ely/ENEly ideally for the fabled Thames Streamer. In fact any streamers that do set up shop could keep going for some considerable time, how long, well all day and nighttime too is possible so if your under a streamer expect a large dumping. :cold:

Charts T120-T132 show what looks like the Thames streamer scenario, so London going into meltdown.:help:

So lots of snow early in the week and later next week, well maybe look out for more organised and heavy snow moving up from the continent.:)

114-574UK.gif

90-574UK.gif

96-574UK.gif

102-574UK.gif

120-574UK.gif

126-574UK.gif

132-574UK.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
3 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

Shopping ordered for Sunday delivery and new snow boots - hard to find tbh in my big size 8 I had to go for mens ?

We've got our delivery coming Saturday evening. I think the wife thought I was mad, the she saw the warnings this morning :)

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Met office have updated their cold weather alert to level 3

where is the link on the actual Met Office website?

• Like 1

Posted

Living at the base of the North Downs I'm hoping for a brutal snow day so I can go out and 'Hike' up to the top. My folks live in Tatsfield so I can stop in there for a warm up before heading out again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Here we go, heavy snow moving up from France on Friday, lots of eye candy on this run, 06z.:D

gfs-2-174.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Must be a nightmare for the Met Office not knowing who is going to get hit with snow, I wonder if red warnings will go out over the whole region just in case?

The red warnings if they come will arrive on the day they are needed, maybe within hours of the event.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Looks like a streamer starting as early as Sunday into Monday morning according to latest Met Office precip data forecasts......if diff to read its the latest forecast for Maximum precip over last 6 hours. Looking at some of the Met office latest forecast data there are some lovely precip charts now coming into view for us.

image.thumb.png.ce05833ebd4ca167d00d19b699da34a6.png

Thats a lovely chart there FSS.:)

Posted

just noticed that Dover, Deal and folkestone are the only east coast towns NOT in the met office warning area for snow.  wonder if it will play out like that.

Posted

Well just about everyone is shot of some pretty deep falls next week, especially the further south and east you are. I suspect Fridays low will track further south, meaning we miss out on the frontal snow event. 

Posted

Morning All. Got the distinct feeling that a Thames Streamer might be in the offing judging by the charts. but hey, I am no expert. would love to see it happen though.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Well just about everyone is shot of some pretty deep falls next week, especially the further south and east you are. I suspect Fridays low will track further south, meaning we miss out on the frontal snow event. 

Even if Fridays low stays further South, the wind direction should in that scenario remain more North of East which ought to continue the streamers for a bit longer instead. :-)

Edited by beng

Posted
Just now, beng said:

Even if Fridays low stays further South, the wind direction should remain more North of East which ought to continue the streamers for a bit longer instead. :-)

Indeed, a win either way!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, BOMBHEADS said:

just noticed that Dover, Deal and folkestone are the only east coast towns NOT in the met office warning area for snow.  wonder if it will play out like that.

Probably will miss Deal because we have a really powerful snow shield here ??

12 minutes ago, colonelks said:

Living at the base of the North Downs I'm hoping for a brutal snow day so I can go out and 'Hike' up to the top. My folks live in Tatsfield so I can stop in there for a warm up before heading out again.

I lived in Tatsfield from 1964 until 1986, my mum still lives in Paynesfield road...We had some cracking snow late 70s early 80s. Going up there in a hour or so to make sure the old girls OK.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, loz said:

I lived in Tatsfield from 1964 until 1986, my mum still lives in Paynesfield road...We had some cracking snow late 70s early 80s. Going up there in a hour or so to make sure the old girls OK.

My Folks still live down Paynesfield Road :) Thats where I lived for the 1st 24 years of my life.

The wife and I are actually looking at moving back, the snow being one big part of the attraction for me, oh and baby sitters nearby :)

Posted

Wow. Going by the wording I would expect a red alert to be issued perhaps Monday/Tuesday morning ? https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/

Edited by Southender
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The red warnings if they come will arrive on the day they are needed, maybe within hours of the event.

What is interesting when you look at the Weather Impact Grid issued with the warning it says high impact but unlikely

image.thumb.png.2eaa5a56911f4f79db82803423b5ce17.png

I can only assume that this will be raised as we get closer to the time to an amber as the likelihood becomes greater.

As you say the red warnings may only come on the day concerned but red alerts can be issued prior to 24 hours

Lancaster council have a very good document showing how Weather Warnings are enacted upon

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/assets/attach/622/Severe Weather plan v3 170817.pdf

and gives an insight as to the reason why the Met Office are cautious in the use of warnings and alerts.

Posted
1 minute ago, FetchCB said:

What is interesting when you look at the Weather Impact Grid issued with the warning it says high impact but unlikely

image.thumb.png.2eaa5a56911f4f79db82803423b5ce17.png

I can only assume that this will be raised as we get closer to the time to an amber as the likelihood becomes greater.

As you say the red warnings may only come on the day concerned but red alerts can be issued prior to 24 hours

Lancaster council have a very good document showing how Weather Warnings are enacted upon

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/assets/attach/622/Severe Weather plan v3 170817.pdf

and gives an insight as to the reason why the Met Office are cautious in the use of warnings and alerts.

but this Met Office link doing the rounds doesn't appear to be accessible via their website..??

Posted
Just now, spayne said:

but this Met Office link doing the rounds doesn't appear to be accessible via their website..??

What link?