Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

You might need to change your avatar text after Thursday Southender :D

Lets hope so mate. No Feb 2009 repeat I hope?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
37 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes it is something special, I think I had some thundersnow in the 2005 streamer. 

PS, I'm now living in Surrey so no longer at the throat of the event...however streamers (at least decent ones) tend to still give some decent falls to the area I'm in, even if not quite as impressive as further east usually. I need to update my profile for sure!

Do you mean the Feb 2009 streamer? I remember a BBC report live in Gravesend during that where there was a lightning strike during heavy snow. 

Posted
Just now, Southender said:

Lets hope so mate. No Feb 2009 repeat I hope?

Nah the flow was quite a lot slacker than this event, and we had an Inversion on that occasion, this event looks to last a lot longer as well

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Nah the flow was quite a lot slacker than this event, and we had an Inversion on that occasion, this event looks to last a lot longer as well

Bring on the powder! ❄️

Radar watch late Monday/Tues morn? 

Edited by Southender

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, yamkin said:

The MetO are already suggesting possible 'Significant Snow' for next week. The MeteoGroup's BBC Weather presenters are lagging behind big time

Remember that everything that goes thru the BBC has to go through a filter first so that when the desired message enters our minds it has the desired response.:whistling:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
18 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

You might need to change your avatar text after Thursday Southender :D

Hi Paul, Can you by any chance provide a link of a post of yours that described about directions of the wind and streamers for different locations by any chance? Steve Murr mentioned that you have one but I cant't find it anywhere.

• Like 1

Posted

Loving these charts but stressing a bit as I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam next Thursday evening. Just forked out for new travel insurance as I have a feeling Heathrow could be completely grounded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Eek!! Just been catching up looking through the output...18z is insane! Is anyone else starting to get the willies? I've been craving proper snow/cold but starting to think it's a case of "be careful what you wish for" Just can't believe the upgrades keep coming!

• Like 1

Posted
MetO will most probably release a Yellow 'Be Aware' Warning on Friday due to the increased risk of snow and sub zero temperatures from Sunday pm.

This initial warning will enable the public for example to prepare over the weekend.

We really are looking at a major big freeze with prolonged snow at times.

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

Hi Paul, Can you by any chance provide a link of a post of yours that described about directions of the wind and streamers for different locations by any chance? Steve Murr mentioned that you have one but I cant't find it anywhere.

Will have a look for it in the archives :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Tescos is full of gardening equipment, not a bag of salt/grit to be seen anywhere....off to Ridgeons tomorrow I think....:closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 hours ago, Redmc13 said:

Like the idea of the snow coming up from France at end ????Be better for my location in the channel !! 

IMG_3754.PNG

Snow from France eh? Probably about as reliable as their storms.....:rofl:

• Like 3

Posted

This is worth a read

A paper I wrote on the 1st/2nd February 2009 Event which still stings even to this day :wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

Loving these charts but stressing a bit as I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam next Thursday evening. Just forked out for new travel insurance as I have a feeling Heathrow could be completely grounded.

My son is flying from Heathrow at 13.00 on Monday.  I'm more than a little worried about driving there (and back)!  I'm tempted to book him an early taxi instead.

A friend's daughter has been in New York this week, 26C... that's crazy.

Posted
2 hours ago, Southender said:

Bring on the powder! ❄️

Radar watch late Monday/Tues morn? 

Scattered snow showers possible from later Sunday... :) 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Rampkin is back BLIZZARDS ON THE LIZARDS. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

More sensibly very excited with next week London snow drought could be broken spectacularly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

great update from met, snow showers becoming heavy after weekend with significant accumulations in places ,it's happening folks  .:)

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, shotski said:

I wonder if somewhere can get a -20 next week if we get some snow cover. Wouldn’t surprise me to see close to that. 

Temperature  -5.8°C
Humidity 95% 
Dewpoint -6.5°C
Wind ENE
Barometer 1020.6 hPa & Steady

Monthly Low Temp -6.9°C 

was also the 

Yearly Low Temp

-6.9°C 

That 'Lowest temp' was at the beginning of February and to be honest Easterlies are utter pants here in the Bucks Chilterns for snow so I am taking note of just how COLD we can get :)

Bit more til that is breached and could even be tonight as lowest temps tend to happen just before sunrise, so in that respect I'm looking forward to Low temps and possible Ice days with hopefully blue skies in the mix instead of cruddy grey slate skies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
4 hours ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Tescos is full of gardening equipment, not a bag of salt/grit to be seen anywhere....off to Ridgeons tomorrow I think....:closedeyes:

Travis Perkins, I got 2x20kg rock salt for about £8. Ordered online and picked it up straight away.

Then Screwfix for a decent snow shovel, crampons from eBay arrived today and B&M do an RAC branded screenwash good for -15C if used neat. Get the pink one, not the blue. The blue is only good for -7C. £1.50 a litre.

Not going to be unprepared this time! Crampons needed as I have two prosthetic legs. Best solution I could think of!

• Like 2

Posted

Yellow warning already out for south east Monday afternoon till Tuesday night, can we hit an amber by Sunday evening.. getting closer guys ?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/warnings#?date=2018-02-26&id=1b8698cf-f50b-6f9d-9873-c048d348aa72

Edited by lewis028
  • Like 4