Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Mind you if there ever wouldbe a slim chance, this is the sort of set-up that could, some massive lapse rates by Wed/Thurs.It may just fire up plenty of convection as you say,but I'd not totally rule it out, especialy if we do get those -17/18/19C over the North Sea.

Also just to note the GFS has the winds just a touch more to the north than some of the other models, still will develop a great streamer in that flow but may not get as far west and more SW from the estuary. 

Hi Kold, great to see you posting again on Netwx, you are probably one of the original posters on here when I joined way back in 2004.

anyway, will be a good test to see how the North Sea snow machine responds to the very cold uppers passing over in late Feb and early March, obviously Jan and early Feb the SSTs are a little higher, but with steep lapse rates created by the unusually deep cold crossing the relatively warmer N Sea, we could see snow amounts akin to Feb 1991 in the east.

sub -40C temps at 500mb crossing the N Sea on Weds, these temps would normally qualify for a polar formation over far NE Atlantic, though not sure shorter sea track and lower SSTs of shallower N Sea would allow a PL formation.

D2C75B87-EB42-4514-9B50-D34AADF730AF.thumb.png.b379d6ff1c5858c5778e7240a3e32907.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

image.thumb.png.16f704db749330add3a998a45090ab4d.pngNot sure i've seen this before..... the potential is certainly there wow!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Looking at the EC high res charts, it looks like Tuesday onwards will bring the greatest threat of heavy snowfall for SE and EA, as winds turn more ENE or NEly and strengthen allowing for greater sea track than an Ely flow and thus more moisture to pick up over the N Sea.

If the wind is ENE we could see a Thames Snow Streamer set up, NELy will favour Kent and Sussex for heavy and persistent snow showers, the subtle change in wind can make all the difference unless a disturbance / trough moves in from the N Sea - which would favour more areas inland, but can’t see any such feature for now.

At least this time we won’t have to worry about marginality probably the whole week, as Desmond points will be below freezing, so anything that falls will be white.

Spot on, good to see posts by people who know what they are talking about on here finally today!! 

Posted
6 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Yup it's all about those Desmond points

Blinking tablet auto correcting, lol.

• Like 3

Posted

Really hoping that the rest of us in the region/EA etc that aren't in the path of the Thames Streamer can join in on the heavy shower action as the week goes on.

Edited by saint
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, saint said:

Really hoping that the rest of us in the region/EA etc that aren't in the path of the Thames Streamer can join in on the heavy shower action as the week goes on

Me too - have no doubt there’ll be some organised activity pushing through at times in-between the lulls giving us inlanders some fun. It’s so far off yet in weather terms - it’s difficult to know exactly what will come our way in terms of organised activity until probably Sunday or even Monday! Hopefully we get more than a sprinkling this time

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
18 minutes ago, Sarah Anne said:

Ok snow prep-what do you do/get in? Im treating it like xmas

Ive just finished 5 loads of laundry changed beds hoovered

Garden cleared of dog poo and other debris that may hamper a clean surface

I have a sledge on way although heard home bargains are selling them for a fiver

I need wine chocolate stewing beef maybe soup actually...

Looking for inspiration

Ribena! Hot Ribena is THE drink for a cold snowy day ...... well as far as non-alcoholic goes anyway

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Matty88 said:

Me too - have no doubt there’ll be some organised activity pushing through at times in-between the lulls giving us inlanders some fun. It’s so far off yet in weather terms - it’s difficult to know exactly what will come our way in terms of organised activity until probably Sunday or even Monday! Hopefully we get more than a sprinkling this time

I think those further west/north in the region will see snow as the week goes on with the instability growing each day. Hopefully the North Sea acts as an excellent snow machine for all of us. 

Posted

Am seriously looking forward to the Thundersnow! That muffled sound and electric blue lightning is like nothing else experienced.

When it was occuring on the 17th December 2010 overhead people in Maidstone could see the same strikes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

So 12 hours of snow next Wednesday Steve??!!!:shok::clap:x

• Like 1

Posted

This must be what the bbc was getting at ;) bound to change of course but what a chart to get excited about!! If only it’s possible to freeze this until next Thursday!!! 

9FCB2910-A334-4729-98CD-B99B52D4578C.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Been a lovely day here today from about 11am and the sky was a lovely clear one as the sun went down.maxed at 6.3 but dropped rapidly from about 4.30 and is currently minus 1.1.will be good to have a few sunny days which will help dry the ground and cool it down a bit hopefully in readiness for when the snow arrives!!

This set up is similar to how the 2010 cold spell started as we had about 3/4 days when temps dropped day on day and then BOOM it started snowing on a Tuesday morning and then proceeded to snow for 72hrs continuosly giving me a depth of 16inchs level snow in Chelsfield-Truly amazing.Atm current projections look like snow to start Tuesday morning lol...It couldn't do it again could it?bloody hope so:cold::)  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

So 12 hours of snow next Wednesday Steve??!!!:shok::clap:x

Virtually non stop snow in parts of the SE according to tonight's Pub Run ❄❄❄❄❄

• Thanks 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Am seriously looking forward to the Thundersnow! That muffled sound and electric blue lightning is like nothing else experienced.

When it was occuring on the 17th December 2010 overhead people in Maidstone could see the same strikes

Yes it is something special, I think I had some thundersnow in the 2005 streamer. 

PS, I'm now living in Surrey so no longer at the throat of the event...however streamers (at least decent ones) tend to still give some decent falls to the area I'm in, even if not quite as impressive as further east usually. I need to update my profile for sure!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Been a lovely day here today from about 11am and the sky was a lovely clear one as the sun went down.maxed at 6.3 but dropped rapidly from about 4.30 and is currently minus 1.1.will be good to have a few sunny days which will help dry the ground and cool it down a bit hopefully in readiness for when the snow arrives!!

This set up is similar to how the 2010 cold spell started as we had about 3/4 days when temps dropped day on day and then BOOM it started snowing on a Tuesday morning and then proceeded to snow for 72hrs continuosly giving me a depth of 16inchs level snow in Chelsfield-Truly amazing.Atm current projections look like snow to start Tuesday morning lol...It couldn't do it again could it?bloody hope so:cold::)  

Very Similar to here for that spell, started early on the Tuesday and snowed until the Thursday evening with 34cm of level snow and 5ft drifts.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes it is something special, I think I had some thundersnow in the 2005 streamer. 

PS, I'm now living in Surrey so no longer at the throat of the event...however streamers (at least decent ones) tend to still give some decent falls to the area I'm in, even if not quite as impressive as further east usually. I need to update my profile for sure!

Darren yep you need to change your Profile location, Surrey will get buried by the Great Blizzard of the 1-2nd March 2018 anyway 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Darren yep you need to change your Profile location, Surrey will get buried by the Great Blizzard of the 1-2nd March 2018 anyway 

All done!

Luckily my location is more or less downstream from where any streamer sets up (maybe a touch south but close enough) and it did madly well in Feb 09, also heard found out through research that 87 dropped about 10 inches, which I wouldn't complain about!

I'd personally be quite satisfied with a few inches and a real bitter cold spell, anything over and above is a bonus.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, snoangel said:

Hi Streetkid

i bought aercus WS3083 professional weather station with UV and light meter.

Apparently Vantage Pro 2 is highly regarded but I couldn’t stretch to that!

Brill thanks, will take a look.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Just in from work 0 degree in Basildon but 3 degrees by the time I got home on canvey. I work 50% office 50% warehouse with open sides - blimey it felt cold by 10pm. Just catching up and well it is gobsmacking unbelievable although deep down I know my weekend away next week is in tatters it' also so blimmimg exciting. Im ordering my shopping first thing for delivery Sunday . I spoke to my boss they still can't see it - oh well I've tried! 

• Like 2