Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
23 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

Yes, what a great forecaster he was/is.. I always watched his forecasts because he provided analysis in layman's terms - made it really interesting and was a catalyst for my interest in meteorology

I think we always watched him in my house because my mum fancied him! 
I do also miss his forecasts, memories watching him before heading off to school 

Edited by moogyboobles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

I think I will be quite disappointed if we don’t get at least a decent dusting of snow on the West Sussex coast.

but it looks like any snow will be in east of East Sussex, standard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
52 minutes ago, snowdrifter said:

Hi all - followed ppls thoughts here esp words about disruption. I live in Lancashire but also work in Hammersmith on Mondays and Tuesdays, travelling down on train on Sunday eve , back Tues eve. Serious question - is there a chance of being stuck in London? Thinking of taking a couple of days extra essentials! Looks like there are very real chances of heavy London snow to heavy NW snow later in the week! 

Yes I would stick to the motto "Be prepared", you know what the SE gets like with an inch of snow, well by Tues there could be a few inches of snow about so transport could get quite bad very quickly.

• Like 1

Good evening lovely people hope you all had a wonderful day. I am just on my journey back to London from Milton Keynes and I can tell you it feels freezing out there That wind has got a chill, and this is nothing compared to what is coming. 

Another day over and yes another day closer to our destination, I am really getting excited now the amount of times I have got up iat night this week thinking about this dream ? Woooowwe is it really about to come a reality. We could see the first reports of flakes falling by Sunday afternoon ?. 

Fingers crossed we have got 2 more days and we are there what a journey. 

Anyway just wanted to say hello to you all I am on here so much it's become like s family home. Keep up the lovely posts so nice to resd always. 

For now take care all fingers crossed ❄️️❄️️❄️️

All the best 

kind regards ????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
Just now, Djdazzle said:

And this one from the late great Ian McKaskill

This really could be epic next week.

BBC news weather mid afternoon today reporting how it got to 26c in New York today.

Weirdly the same as the 1991 event when we saw massive snow here...

Are we on the verge of a repeat performance? 

• Like 7

Posted

I have a feeling we will see at least 1 Red warning next week. My guess would be Tuesday or Wednesday for SE Parts and Friday or Saturday for something coming up from the South West

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,

im really enjoying seeing these old weather forecasts, plus the fashion, and the wording :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorset_mist said:

Good afternoon SE snow hunters! My company pay for access to Met Office data (stocks and shares and all that jazz). We have all been placed on RED disaster recovery status alert, avoiding all none essential travel. The Beast is coming...

Lol Liam Dutton has blasted this post on Twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
1 hour ago, DonnaThw said:

Is that an actual picture from today???

Yes I'd be interested to know that.  Still bread on shelves at our local shop. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I have a feeling we will see at least 1 Red warning next week. My guess would be Tuesday or Wednesday for SE Parts and Friday or Saturday for something coming up from the South West

I've got a feeling that may well happen, as I've said before even the likes of GFS/ECM are showing a thames streamer reflection and they haven't got the resolution to really pick up the true strength of the flow. Given the flow doesn't really move too far away from ENE/E over at least a 3 day period (other than maybe briefly if a shortwave forms further north) I'm thinking the sweet spots are going to be getting at least what they got in 09, and probably a fair shot at matching Feb 91.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
4 hours ago, yamkin said:

That's my village....in east sussex ?

• Like 2

Posted

Meridian forecast just now ?

This is her guess on how much some will get 

Screenshot_20180222-184301.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

The wind direction definitely makes a big difference in streamers and accumulations. I remember a while back getting 5 cm in Ashford but driving up the M20 to Maidstone and seeing three times this amount. 

If we don't get embedded troughs there could be large accumulation differences. Nothing worse than seeing a  train of Cumulonimbus in the near distance dumping copious amounts of snow up the road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
9 minutes ago, Redmc13 said:

Meridian forecast just now ?

This is her guess on how much some will get 

Screenshot_20180222-184301.png

Looks like she’s disappointed with her husband ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
28 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Has anyone seen the ECM, T168-T192?:whistling:

Snowmageddon all of next week!!!!! :ninja:

ECM1-168.gif

ECM1-192.gif

ECM0-168.gif

ECM0-192.gif

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, snoangel said:

I'm so excited about this cold spell i bought a weather station and linked it to the Met Office WOW site!!!!

Dew point already dropped to -2.9... guessing it will be spending a lot of time in negative figures over the next couple of weeks!

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=ef30a420-c514-e811-90ce-0003ff59a722

:cold::yahoo:

I am new to the forum, long time lurker though! Wondered what weather station you’d bought?  I’ve been looking for a while.

As with many of us, very excited! Been seeing this come to fruition on the runs for nearly a week now, and cannot believe there’s been no downgrade.   Had to pinch myself with the latest MetO video. Bring it on! ❄️?⛄️

• Like 1

Posted

i  must admit  BBC look-east are slowly getting there|!! they  saying tuesday  for snow  showers  but the gfs  are saying monday who is right!:cold::cold::yahoo:

gfs-2-96.png

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Will be snow chaos in London if the ECM comes off! All models showing some significant snowfall for most of our region. Hard to contain excitement..

Louise Lear forecast on London regional weather was extremely underwhelming. Dry, but we "may, just may, see some snow Tues night into Wed. One to keep an eye on". Strange?

Posted
5 minutes ago, Roy said:

Louise Lear forecast on London regional weather was extremely underwhelming. Dry, but we "may, just may, see some snow Tues night into Wed. One to keep an eye on". Strange?

BBC Weather is pants at the moment. She must be reading a script and not allowed to tell viewers the Snow word :nonono:

• Like 2