Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Thames streamers don't really benefit us Brightonians much really unless they veer NE, probably the worst positioned in our 'region' for shower activity from the angle of attack.

Edited by Weathizard

Posted

Will be very busy in here in the coming day probably busiest in many years. To think we came out in mass over some wet snowfall..

• Like 1

Posted

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days - Updated: 15:08 on Thu 22 Feb 2018 GMT

UK Outlook for Tuesday 27 Feb 2018 to Thursday 8 Mar 2018: :yahoo::cold:
It will continue very cold through next week, with sunny spells. However, snow showers are likely in many places, heaviest and most frequent in eastern and some central areas. Some spells of more prolonged snow are likely, especially in the east, and particularly later next week, across southern areas. Some locally significant snowfalls are likely although details will remain uncertain until much nearer the event. Strong winds will make it feel bitterly cold at times. Widespread, locally severe frosts are likely. The cold weather will continue into early March, with the northwest seeing the best of any brighter weather. Continuing windy at times, bringing marked wind chill and further snow in places. However the southwest may become milder at times but with further rain, sleet or snow.

UK Outlook for Friday 9 Mar 2018 to Friday 23 Mar 2018: :yahoo::cold:
At the start of this period it is likely to be very cold across the UK, with widespread frost and brisk easterly winds from Continental Europe, making it feel raw. This will continue to bring the risk of significant snow across some southern, eastern and central parts of the UK, whereas towards the north and west it will be drier. As we head through the middle of March, there is a lot of uncertainty in the forecast, but it may start to turn more unsettled and less cold with the wettest and mildest weather spreading in from the southwest. In contrast, northern and eastern areas could remain colder well into March.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/long-range-forecast

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Thames streamers don't really benefit us Brightonians much really unless they veer NE, probably the worst positioned in our 'region' for shower activity from the angle of attack.

In truth Thames Streamers are pretty crap, sure they feature more for London areas and towards Croydon but nope - still swearing they've had snow already, most of kent hasn't seen much on the ground this year! Only the frindges of east :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
26 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

Filling me with a lot of anticipation Southender, although I am further down the track in Rayleigh.

And I'm even further down in Ockendon! We did well here for snow in December 2010 so here's hoping for another good dump this time around! 

7 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days - Updated: 15:08 on Thu 22 Feb 2018 GMT

UK Outlook for Tuesday 27 Feb 2018 to Thursday 8 Mar 2018: :yahoo::cold:
It will continue very cold through next week, with sunny spells. However, snow showers are likely in many places, heaviest and most frequent in eastern and some central areas. Some spells of more prolonged snow are likely, especially in the east, and particularly later next week, across southern areas. Some locally significant snowfalls are likely although details will remain uncertain until much nearer the event. Strong winds will make it feel bitterly cold at times. Widespread, locally severe frosts are likely. The cold weather will continue into early March, with the northwest seeing the best of any brighter weather. Continuing windy at times, bringing marked wind chill and further snow in places. However the southwest may become milder at times but with further rain, sleet or snow.

UK Outlook for Friday 9 Mar 2018 to Friday 23 Mar 2018: :yahoo::cold:
At the start of this period it is likely to be very cold across the UK, with widespread frost and brisk easterly winds from Continental Europe, making it feel raw. This will continue to bring the risk of significant snow across some southern, eastern and central parts of the UK, whereas towards the north and west it will be drier. As we head through the middle of March, there is a lot of uncertainty in the forecast, but it may start to turn more unsettled and less cold with the wettest and mildest weather spreading in from the southwest. In contrast, northern and eastern areas could remain colder well into March.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/long-range-forecast

Think that should nip it in the bud for those who continue to drone on about their being no snow.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

In truth Thames Streamers are pretty crap, sure they feature more for London areas and towards Croydon but nope - still swearing they've had snow already, most of kent hasn't seen much on the ground this year! Only the frindges of east :(

Why are you talking about :p Kent has done best for snow this winter...

London has been a snow go zone for five years. I haven’t had more than a dusting in 5 years! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I wonder if somewhere can get a -20 next week if we get some snow cover. Wouldn’t surprise me to see close to that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

crazy crazy

Tuesday 120 chart

snow prolonged all day

9C138273-7B41-448F-BDDD-DDA21AFB1B54.thumb.png.00eec69726f8a12e208851619d98a438.png

Just out of interest Steve, but how do you read snow from that chart ? 

The contours look smooth to me. 

Just a genuine question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

From Sunday night/Monday, the Easterly winds will pick up the moisture from the North Sea which will be driven inland across Eastern and South Eastern areas. Significant snow is very possible from this formation ❄❄❄ :yahoo::cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Good afternoon! I can already feel a nip in the air, it has that certain continental feel about it too! temp 5.9C, dew point -3.9C. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
4 minutes ago, shotski said:

I wonder if somewhere can get a -20 next week if we get some snow cover. Wouldn’t surprise me to see close to that. 

The uppers would certainly be conductive of those sorts of temperatures in December/January. Now the days are getting longer I imagine we will struggle to get that low, bit with some deep snow cover and if winds fall light I can see -12C to -14C being achievable.

3 minutes ago, shotski said:

Just out of interest Steve, but how do you read snow from that chart ? 

The contours look smooth to me. 

Just a genuine question. 

Its 100% convective - zero trough formation

everything will driven by the uplift / instability across the sea track- The gradient will be about 22/23 degrees - creating massive towers - poss Thunder snow.

Met office will see UKMO raw & be very concerned now for london as there not stupid bit will start upgrading warnings

if the 96/120/144 was 24/48/72 then it would be red all the way.

We would buried looking at that run- but as ever need to control the excitement....

( PS to windy for low temps - )

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

crazy crazy

Tuesday 120 chart

snow prolonged all day

9C138273-7B41-448F-BDDD-DDA21AFB1B54.thumb.png.00eec69726f8a12e208851619d98a438.png

Seeing as this is a nice friendly thread and i dnt dare ask in the model thread, can you explain what the chart actually shows and how it shows prolonged snow all day? is it something to do with the bars and numbers?

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

The streamers would run all the way to cornwall !

Would this miss the south coast? Thanks