Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, metaltron said:

Are areas in the west of East Anglia, such as Cambridge, likely to be dry in this setup? Certainly, looks that way from the models; we get the least snow in the whole country! Does anybody remember what is was like in Cambridge in past easterly spells like Feb 91?

Its true the Cambridge area isn't ideal in these set up's - we tend to do best with a NE'ly. The current wind direction forecast is more Easterly/SE'ly, 

If it's just showers we are talking about next week then it'll be very hit and miss - our best hopes are with something more organised to get it's act together. Charts should show something better come Monday (hopefully). You can't rule out it being mostly dry next week though... but you can't rule out a really good dump either ! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

I vaguely remember we had a really good spell of Snow in West London back in 2003 (I think) I remember walking home in it and if I remember correctly it was blizzard like conditions - does anyone know/remember how that came about? Similar to this set up or was it more N/NE? 

Cheers

I remember it - there was thundersnow and I was driving home with my 4 month old baby! Almost had to abandon the car on one of the Wycombe hills and struggle home with her in the pushchair - very scary... I don't remember the set up though, sorry!

Posted

Bbc weather showing temps of 2-4 c Tuesday in se I’m going to be avoiding their forecasts ,as they seem to be on a wind up,remember next week was dry according to them two days ago:wallbash:

Posted
3 minutes ago, seb said:

Whoop! MetOffice officially stating "significant and disruptive snow" from Tue onwards.

Wouldn't pay too much attention to that until things become clearer nearer the time, as not everywhere will see significant and disruptive snow - especially if it's from convective activity. Don't go booking days off work and cancelling plans just yet people ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
6 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Its true the Cambridge area isn't ideal in these set up's - we tend to do best with a NE'ly. The current wind direction forecast is more Easterly/SE'ly, 

If it's just showers we are talking about next week then it'll be very hit and miss - our best hopes are with something more organised to get it's act together. Charts should show something better come Monday (hopefully). You can't rule out it being mostly dry next week though... but you can't rule out a really good dump either ! 

Never rule the second one out.:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, _anita_ said:

Is this what you're looking for @Snowman31

I was looking for wind directions and streamers but that also looks very interesting. Thanks for the link . Hopefully Paul can provide a link when he reads returns .

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty88 said:

Wouldn't pay too much attention to that until things become clearer nearer the time, as not everywhere will see significant and disruptive snow - especially if it's from convective activity. Don't go booking days off work and cancelling plans just yet people ! 

Mate I’m not sure what your problem is. I said this morning that we will see extensive “lake effect” snow. You complained that the MetO forecast don’t mention it. I said they will from this afternoon, and now they do (I do have my sources).

Now you’re still moaning and doubt their forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, seb said:

Mate I’m not sure what your problem is. I said this morning that we will see extensive “lake effect” snow. You complained that the MetO forecast don’t mention it. I said they will from this afternoon, and now they do (I do have my sources).

Now you’re still moaning and doubt their forecast.

Mate... this is a light hearted forum where we are entitled to friendly debate and comments. Chill

• Like 3

Posted

I highly doubt anyone in the South East will see any snow falling from this potential chilly blip..... just joking :friends:

Considering heading down and staying a night or 2 somewhere, it may be a bit early, but any suggestion on days/rough locations? I was thinking the Downs maybe?

Posted
1 minute ago, Staffordshire said:

I highly doubt anyone in the South East will see any snow falling from this potential chilly blip..... just joking :friends:

Considering heading down and staying a night or 2 somewhere, it may be a bit early, but any suggestion on days/rough locations? I was thinking the Downs maybe?

If you know anyone called Rapunzel get her to book Leith Hill Tower ?

Posted
Just now, Staffordshire said:

Obviously the higher parts are favoured.

But, if you want to take a punt and potentially see some real convective stuff, then head my way (Southend) at the mouth of the Thames. Monday onwards.

In fact no don't, you will jinx it :diablo:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

But, if you want to take a punt and potentially see some real convective stuff, then head my way (Southend) at the mouth of the Thames. Monday onwards.

Filling me with a lot of anticipation Southender, although I am further down the track in Rayleigh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
27 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Yes I remember Dec 2010 we never had a single flake here whilst to the North and South of the region had snow.

There was a dry slot in between the two streamers, I’ve not seen any heavy snow in this part of Cambridgeshire during an easterly since living here from 1992

Is there anyone who can remember what it 

was like during Feb 91 in the West of our region it would maybe help calm the nerves!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

People may slate Canvey Island but bet they all be jealous of me bobbing along in the middle of the Thames next week ????

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Weather_Novice said:

Filling me with a lot of anticipation Southender, although I am further down the track in Rayleigh.

Thing's are looking ok as it stands for some shower trains to form from Monday. But, a lot can change and go against us between now and then so refusing to get drawn in. Pray for no major wobbles between now and then, make sure your nearest lampost or security light has been serviced and get the laptop ready for radar watch. All we can do. If I cop it, then so will you!......as long as there is not another Feb 2009 repeat (See the excellent post above by Paul Sherman) *shudder*

Posted
3 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

People may slate Canvey Island but bet they all be jealous of me bobbing along in the middle of the Thames next week ????

Haha. Not really you will be too marginal. I will wave at you from snowy Southend :D

Joking obviously. Let's pray Chelle. :friends:

Edited by Southender

Posted
10 minutes ago, Southender said:

Obviously the higher parts are favoured.

In fact no don't, you will jinx it :diablo:

I was considering somewhere right on the coast, however, maybe a bit further inland and try catch a possible streamer, ratehr than where the convection is starting off? Hmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
14 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Tatsfield is the place to be, I lived there for 25 years and it never failed to amaze me how much more snow we got that the surrounding area. They even have a nice restaurant / B&B (The Bakery) where you can stay :)

Posted
Just now, Southender said:

Haha. Not really you will be too marginal. I will wave at you from snowy Southend :D

You won't see us waving at you because the drifts here will be too high for you to see us at all. :cold:

Posted
1 minute ago, 80sWeather said:

Yes I remember Dec 2010 we never had a single flake here whilst to the North and South of the region had snow.

There was a dry slot in between the two streamers, I’ve not seen any heavy snow in this part of Cambridgeshire during an easterly since living here from 1992

Is there anyone who can remember what it 

was like during Feb 91 in the West of our region it would maybe help calm the nerves!

Spot on, neither can I remember any decent snow from a straight easterly or SE'ly in South/East Cambs. I reckon we'll get something off some organised trough's - hopefully Tuesday. My gut feel is our best chances remain at the latter end of next week during the 'transition' back to milder weather. 

Head to the east or south coast though and I'm sure certain locations there get some impressive snow totals from streamers from Monday onwards - albeit localised. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
1 minute ago, Matty88 said:

Spot on, neither can I remember any decent snow from a straight easterly or SE'ly in South/East Cambs. I reckon we'll get something off some organised trough's - hopefully Tuesday. My gut feel is our best chances remain at the latter end of next week during the 'transition' back to milder weather. 

Head to the east or south coast though and I'm sure certain locations there get some impressive snow totals from streamers from Monday onwards - albeit localised. 

What “transition” back to milder weather would that be then?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, colonelks said:

Tatsfield is the place to be, I lived there for 25 years and it never failed to amaze me how much more snow we got that the surrounding area. They even have a nice restaurant / B&B (The Bakery) where you can stay :)

Tatsfield was one of the places I came across actually!

• Like 1