Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Damned if you do or don't with regards to depth forecasts this early, but it's still a good indicator.

I'm in Ashford overnight Monday...could be interesting.  Hoping for 1 (or both....not greedy at all :p) situation or another: I can still make it back to Romford for work at 1600 on Tuesday, or that enough snow falls (8 inches, to be precise about it...) between Fenchurch St and Shoeburyness so that the job stops. :D

It's fun enough driving a commuter train in icy rail territory without adding copious amounts of snow into the mix......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days
15 minutes ago, Southender said:

Mother Thames could deliver.......please do not take it too literally though. It is just highlighting that convection could occur from early hours Monday. This sort of stuff is pure radar watch, nothing can predict it with any sort of accuracy. Sure those further towards the coast in our region are obviously better placed, that is a given in an Easterly. But, showers will drive well inland in this setup and if you get under a streamer train, then well it can go on and on and on....plenty to be happy about at the moment and IF all the models hold as they are doing currently, then most of us should see at least a covering in the next 5 days or so :)

giphy.gif

those precipitations are literally missing Brighton:(

Edited by turkishfella
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Does anyone know of any articles or posts where I can find out about streamers and which wind directions affect which areas?  

Posted
1 minute ago, turkishfella said:

those precipitations are literally missing Brighton:(

Like I said, do not worry about it. it doesn't exist it's just a representation. Not like a LP system where you can track and predict somewhat where and how much will occur. These are just the showers, in this frigid flow I am sure we can get more organised troughs in the flow which will dump on all of us with any luck. Ignore Ppn charts until at least Sunday afternoon, when we may start getting a better idea of any snow amounts and distribution. Even then it will be vastly inaccurate haha so best to stick to radar watch from Sunday night.

• Like 1

-^^ @Paul Sherman did a good thread 

Basically thames streamer 70 - 95 degrees East ( most widespread into shires )

Mid kent & suffolk clipper 45-70 degrees - ideal for places like ashford- etc

East Kent / Norfolk streamer 15-45 degrees ( ie slightly North east to NE )

Current output angle on UKMO is starting 90 degrees backing 75 degrees - optimal flow across the SE

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Mid kent & suffolk clioper 45-70 degrees - ideal for places like ashford- etc

Current output angle on UKMO is starting 90 degrees backing 75 degrees - optimal flow across the SE

Perfect Thames Streamer alignment then Steve :)

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east

Liam Dutton said temps up to 3c above freezing as maxes next week so I sent him this?

Screenshot_20180222-120403.png

I vaguely remember we had a really good spell of Snow in West London back in 2003 (I think) I remember walking home in it and if I remember correctly it was blizzard like conditions - does anyone know/remember how that came about? Similar to this set up or was it more N/NE? 

Cheers

Edited by Uxbridge90

Posted
11 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

I vaguely remember we had a really good spell of Snow in West London back in 2003 (I think) I remember walking home in it and if I remember correctly it was blizzard like conditions - does anyone know/remember how that came about? Similar to this set up or was it more N/NE? 

Cheers

i remember a good spell of snow in early january 2004 here, lasted a few days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Mid kent & suffolk clipper 45-70 degrees - ideal for places like ashford- etc

Thanks Steve, How do I find this thread. He has over 7000 posts lol

Posted
13 minutes ago, John Michael How said:

Liam Dutton said temps up to 3c above freezing as maxes next week so I sent him this?

Screenshot_20180222-120403.png

Perhaps right in the centre of London in amongst the tall buildings, next to a heating column. Everywhere else, pretty much 0-1c or below as a max, especially the middle/late next week.

• Thanks 1

Posted

I go to the Canaries on Monday and return the following Monday. Am I likely to catch any of this? Or have I done something to upset Mother Nature?

I recycle, damn it. I don’t deserve this. :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, snow, and cold snowy snow

Is it too early to predict which Counties in our region will feel the fullest force of the coming event (crossing fingers that someone suggests Norfolk ?)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

outrageous indeed lol-

Obviously incase I hadnt posted specifically enough in our thread- that snow total has been taken out of context being the top amount will be for the tops of the downs - Not a widespread amount...

Annoying really....

You should make a Twitter account and correct it, I reckon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
7 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

I go to the Canaries on Monday and return the following Monday. Am I likely to catch any of this? Or have I done something to upset Mother Nature?

I recycle, damn it. I don’t deserve this. :sorry:

Please book a 4 week holiday for Dec 2018.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I remember I’m Sure it was 2009 February I was driving home to Bromley it started to snow that evening it snowed for 2 days Constant snow showers we had over a foot of snow think we had a red warning never seen since..:cold:

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

I remember I’m Sure it was 2009 February I was driving home to Bromley it started to snow that evening it snowed for 2 days Constant snow showers we had over a foot of snow think we had a red warning never seen since..:cold:

It was - I'd just returned home from Manchester on the train and it began snowing hard as I arrived in Orpington on the Sunday evening - it settled very quickly and snowed pretty much all night and the following morning, for sure. That was probably the thickest snow I've seen in the 15 years I've lived here. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

There was talk of a possible breakdown by next Friday, wasn't sure if they meant the cold spell or the posters in the MOD thread:cc_confused: