Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, metaltron said:

Are areas in the west of East Anglia, such as Cambridge, likely to be dry in this setup? Certainly, looks that way from the models; we get the least snow in the whole country! Does anybody remember what is was like in Cambridge in past easterly spells like Feb 91?

If you read back through a couple of threads your see numerous posts regarding this set-up and how the models struggle with precipitation amounts and where

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 minute ago, metaltron said:

Are areas in the west of East Anglia, such as Cambridge, likely to be dry in this setup? Certainly, looks that way from the models; we get the least snow in the whole country! Does anybody remember what is was like in Cambridge in past easterly spells like Feb 91?

it was very snowy in Cambridge 91 uni was closed for a day I think it was pipe freezingly cold with lots of halls having no hot water etc ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
4 minutes ago, warrenb said:

The way the DP's are today and the temp would not surprise me to see a little early wintry precipitation.

have to agree it's feeling cold already only 4c here in Cobham and-2c dp feels continental !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Looks innocently like early Spring today, some nice hazy sunshine but already feeling colder with that wind from the E. Just 4C here currently. Looks like we’ll be in the freezer next week with some chances of snow, yay. Hopefully a blizzard or five to come. Some very low temperatures look likely, too. Feed the birds and look after the oldies. Will need that thermal underwear...

rBVaGVS3FLCASX0uAADFc-AaZU4420.jpg

3CA9EE19-6257-4C26-A34A-0F89166478D2.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

You can't get much closer to the north sea than me I can almost see it...lovely blue sky but there is a brisk east wind..Shaping up for a frosty night...Snow well I would be the first to see it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Read a post earlier quoting the German met office going for 50+cm in N Germany courtesy of the Baltic lake effect snow, and that has SST's of just 2-3c! The North Sea is 6-7c, so there's going to be some big conversion rates going on out there! I don't see why we can't achieve similar values tbh. The heights look low enough and with sub -12 uppers, we should be game on! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

^^^ one for the ladies :D

Nippy here in the breez. Also good to see the MetO forecast above really sticking their necks out with a forecast extending all the way to Tomorrow (sarcasm emoji here). Then saying it will get colder. 

Posted
1 minute ago, fluid dynamic said:

^^^ one for the ladies :D

Nippy here in the breez. Also good to see the MetO forecast above really sticking their necks out with a forecast extending all the way to Tomorrow (sarcasm emoji here). Then saying it will get colder. 

The forecast ends with "risk of significant snow".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Nothing of note at the moment for me next week here apart from the cold, and it's getting colder. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Highest temp in Ramsgate so far today is 3.4c (bck garden ,no Sun.)

Lovely & Sunny.

Might have to retrieve the towel i threw in 2 weeks ago..

We are getting closer to a historic cold spell. Forget 2009,2010,2011,2012,2013.

This has 87,91 written all over.

I was living in Cantetbury then. Deep deep snow for 10 days. Bitter cold day & night wth no drip drip..(91)..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The cloud is breaking up nicely here now.

For anyone doubting convection next week. Well we could see some light wintry showers tonight towards Norfolk in particular. This will be brief as the winds veer slightly to the ese hence cutting off the sea fetch required to generate the showers.

Still uncertainty regarding next week. The gfs is delivers cold on a scale of March 2013 but with longer duration. The ECM delivers cold on a feb 1991 or even jan 87 scale. So this will be memorable at the very least and potentially historical if the ECM suite is close to the mark in the initial depth of cold and then the risk of blizzards as fronts try to push into the south of the region.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
2 minutes ago, seb said:

The forecast ends with "risk of significant snow".

Yes, i stand corrected. Still a lot of people on here know a lot lot more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Sods law after waiting 5 weeks for my forged engine rebuild to be completed we get the best snow event in years  [ possibly]

Posted
25 minutes ago, metaltron said:

Yes I'm a veteran from the big winters of the eighties.With a strong east wind in place it will be blowing snow showers right across into Cambridge,likely to be heavy at times.

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

You can't get much closer to the north sea than me I can almost see it...lovely blue sky but there is a brisk east wind..Shaping up for a frosty night...Snow well I would be the first to see it

i think we are further east up here?

Posted
14 minutes ago, craigore said:

This has 87,91 written all over.

I was living in Cantetbury then. Deep deep snow for 10 days. Bitter cold day & night wth no drip drip..(91)..

i remember the snow in brighton in 91, lasted a few days.

Posted

Mother Thames could deliver.......please do not take it too literally though. It is just highlighting that convection could occur from early hours Monday. This sort of stuff is pure radar watch, nothing can predict it with any sort of accuracy. Sure those further towards the East coast in our region are obviously better placed, that is a given in an Easterly. But, showers will drive well inland in this setup and if you get under a streamer train, then well it can go on and on and on many miles from the coast....plenty to be happy about at the moment and IF all the models hold as they are doing currently, then most of us should see at least a covering in the next 5 days or so :)

giphy.gif

Edited by Southender
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

Mother Thames could deliver.......

giphy.gif

A direct E’ly would be best :) London gets it!

1 hour ago, snowblind said:

Is he saying he doesn't know who Steve Murr is? Outrageous

outrageous indeed lol-

Obviously incase I hadnt posted specifically enough in our thread- that snow total has been taken out of context being the top amount will be for the tops of the downs - Not a widespread amount...

Annoying really....

• Like 1

Posted

Is there some place I can find out when Thomas Schaffernackers is scheduled to broadcast next for the beeb ? He always seems to cram in so much detail especially 

regionally so.. I have a feeling I've seen a schedule somewhere but Id be darned if  i can find it.

Cheers