Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days
2 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Everyone across the South has a chance, we won't know for certain till much nearer the time - we might get an idea 72-48 hours beforehand but a lot of it will be now-casting for Snow.

Hopefully @Uxbridge90 it's been such a long time without snow, we all need some white beauty :)

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

Morning guys, sorry to interrupt :) I am not quite expert like most of you guys on reading charts. Do we still have a chance for snow in Brighton? Some people are complaining about changing picture ???

The key to snow is cold, at the risk of stating the obvious.

All of the models show deep cold coming in very early next week and, for example upper temps of -10 over  Brighton. Compare that to -5 being a reasonable indicative threshold for snow amongst other indicators, and you can see the conditions are good.

Next step required is precipitation and with easterlies this isn’t big masses of cloud like you see with storms coming over the Atlantic, but is convective showers where moisture is sucked up by winds passing over the sea and wet ground. This is where the snow is likely to come from and is looking hopeful.

Only when we are 24-48 hours away will anyone have a cogent view on snow forecasting.

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Just a quick bit of advice to anyone that pops into the MOD thread and sees people getting in a tiz waz about downgrades. Rule of thumb i've found is to look at their location (not easy to do if viewing on mobile phone, granted, but when on a desktop it's there in plain sight). Reason being, and although some see the overall picture for the whole UK, we all really are only interested in snow for our location and not someone, in our case, who lives in the NW of England or Ireland for example.

Generally with an Easterly incursion, we in the SE are in one of the prime positions and i see no evidence why this shouldn't be the case again this time around. Whether it's a repeat of 1991 remains to be seen but here's hoping. Good luck to all and please, come Monday/Tuesday, look up from your phones, ipads and laptops and take a look out the window - it may just be snowing outside...

...so get out there and go build a snowman!

On a mobile phone go to the three dots next your address bar and open the menu, scroll down and you'll see "Request Desktop Mode" click that and you'll see locations on the phone - it seems okay to navigate on a touch screen phone this way for me, depends on how technically able you are I suppose. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Everyone across the South has a chance, we won't know for certain till much nearer the time - we might get an idea 72-48 hours beforehand but a lot of it will be now-casting for Snow.

The South East will be among hardest hit places I see. For cold and snow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Someone’s already said it but I’ll reiterate, the mod thread is National. It’s always skewed by imbyism as opposed to local conditions. The charts for the SE still look amazing, the rest of the country not as good.

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Que ???

:D

It is not those drivers (like yourself) who are prepared who are the issue, it is the rest who are unprepared that cause the jams and traffic chaos.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
51 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

...so get out there and go build a snowman

Hello Roadrunner.

That may be a bit difficult as the snow might be too powdery, due to the extreme cold.:yahoo:

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

Back to today's weather :)  It certainly feels colder this morning than the last few Spring-like days. It's overcast/grey and only 5C now and  -1 in the greenhouse overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Not being 'down beat' I'm being practical.  Cloudy here with a breeze and it does feel colder - but anyway still not excited.

Edited by Dami

Posted

Another dose of SSW is in action & the models have picked this up, hence today's fluctuations. No need to be concerned as the current Beast From The East is still on course.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Who’s nicked the sunshine?!

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

I may be wrong but I think it's a damn sight colder than yesterday... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

The only way to tell if it's going to snow is if you see snowflakes falling from the sky. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Another dose of SSW is in action & the models have picked this up, hence today's fluctuations. No need to be concerned as the current Beast From The East is still on course.

The graph had to be extended to new parameters to accommodate the intensification of SSW. The intensification is the result of the energy from the recent CME. Exciting times ahead!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
7 minutes ago, gillybean said:

Level 2 cold alert issued now ! (Sorry can't post the link)

I think I've got it here Gillybean.. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

• Like 1

Posted

Well if I were to take GFS precip forecast literally then I'd be under >1.20m of snow by Thursday evening. This is from Metcheck for Ashford which AFAIK uses GFS raw data.

Screenshot 2018-02-21 11.37.38.png

Screenshot 2018-02-21 11.37.30.png

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Still looking good ! Tomorrow will be the dead cert I think ? When will ppl learn the only way to know if it’s going to snow is the one and only app needed ....LAMP POSTS :rofl:

We should start a SE lampost app, everyone puts a camera on their lampost, theres money to be made here:yahoo: