Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 minutes ago, yamkin said:

MetO have been notified about Susan Powell's bizarre dry forecast. I'm sure they will contact the BBC and update her on the latest Big Freeze forecast for next week :cold:

No longer their job :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

but the beeb aren't working with the met office anymore yamkin ??????

MetO can still memo the BBC if they feel there is an issue with a forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Just had an email from JH warning of the the cold for next week.....certainly starting to ramp up the snow possibility from Sunday night onwards and comparing with the years 09/10 and March 2013 :friends:

• Like 2

Why is there such a contract between the MetOffice and BBC? Doesn't MeteoGroup and MetOffice use similar/same charts? 

Seems irresponsible of the BBC to forecast dryness when there's a possibility of disruption - I imagine BBC Weather is probably the most viewed by those that don't have as much of an interest as many on here have. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, yamkin said:

MetO have been notified about Susan Powell's bizarre dry forecast. I'm sure they will contact the BBC and update her on the latest Big Freeze forecast for next week :cold:

I have also tweeted @MeteoGroup regarding Susan Powell's bizarre dry forecast

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
7 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Just had an email from JH warning of the the cold for next week.....certainly starting to ramp up the snow possibility from Sunday night onwards and comparing with the years 09/10 and March 2013 :friends:

Good afternoon Frostbite 1990.

Please excuse my ignorance but who, or what, is JH? Not John Holmes?

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
31 minutes ago, yamkin said:

That's very bad of Susan Powell spreading misinformation. I too have tweeted @bbcweather for an explanation as this is misinformation...............we should all tweet @bbcweather

Saw your tweet about Susan Powell on twitter 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
1 minute ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Why is there such a contract between the MetOffice and BBC? Doesn't MeteoGroup and MetOffice use similar/same charts? 

Seems irresponsible of the BBC to forecast dryness when there's a possibility of disruption - I imagine BBC Weather is probably the most viewed by those that don't have as much of an interest as many on here have. 

The MetOffice and Meteogroup are both service providers. Just like any other service provider they have to bid for the contract. Meteogroup undercut the MetOffice and hence why they now provide the BBC with the forecasts and data for both the TV forecasts and that on the website/Apps.

The BBC will only distribute the information that is given to them!

I don't know much about MeteoGroup, but the MetOffice have some of the best forecasters in the world, so I will continue to refer to their website.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, claret047 said:

Good afternoon Frostbite 1990.

Please excuse my ignorance but who, or what, is JH? Not John Holmes?

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Claret, no John Hammond from the Met :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hellloooooo...

Long time member very little poster...

however here I am joining in in the run up to what could be a great week next week.

i need to dig out the sledges from the shed, my son hasn’t really seen large snowfall, he’s just turned 7. Having missed the great winters of 2009/2010!.

i have however purchased some proper snow boots! I don’t drive so I think (and hope!) they will be used next week!. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Unreal forecast ,people think their be no snow next week if the see that forecast 

ED53581D-2946-4944-8F6D-9FDC03CEC61F.png

This means she has not even bothered to research the coming Big Freeze............very misleading by Susan

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

People are looking at me blankly and like I'm from outta space when I warn them of the upcoming temperatures and snow risk. No one wants to believe me - had people at work say they bet me a tenner I'm wrong- tempting to take them up on it as could do with some spends for my boozy weekend on 2nd.

Posted
1 minute ago, Essex Chelle said:

People are looking at me blankly and like I'm from outta space when I warn them of the upcoming temperatures and snow risk. No one wants to believe me - had people at work say they bet me a tenner I'm wrong- tempting to take them up on it as could do with some spends for my boozy weekend on 2nd.

I would have taken that bet and raised them £50 :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

Hi everyone, I asked a question but it took 45 min to be approved here so people didn't see it. What do you think about below:

What is the chance of good snow showers for Brighton on Sunday night and Monday? Or again are we going to see snow for Scotland and northern parts of the country?

Also, do you guys think we can get sea effect snow as the very cold air moving from the east and I checked sea tempratures they are warmer than the air.

Posted

Yep everyone at works says I’m talking rubbish,it never snows here at end of feb they keep saying.

seem to forget mid March 2013 and the snow then.

NVM perhaps Susan Powell is correct and no snow next week then at all.

Posted

What we have to remember most cold east winds is Dry air..may be that's why BBC and metO are being cautious. The flow needs to be with a bigger track over the north sea to give a snow event..The North Sea is at its  yearly coldest this week.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
10 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

I would have taken that bet and raised them £50 :rofl:

There's still time - think I might be brave and say "bring it on" ?

Posted
9 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

What we have to remember most cold east winds is Dry air..may be that's why BBC and metO are being cautious. The flow needs to be with a bigger track over the north sea to give a snow event..The North Sea is at its  yearly coldest this week.

Edited by london-snow
Twice posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
14 minutes ago, yamkin said:

This means she has not even bothered to research the coming Big Freeze............very misleading by Susan

No mention whatsover of Snow or even Risk !! How ??,

Given what all the models are suggesting, surely she has to mention Risk of Snow nxt week or am i missing something.

Is this pattern now just a bitterly cold dry  evolution.?:sorry:

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

SST’s are above average on the east coast including the SE corner. That combined with upper air temperatures of below -10 and a strong easterly wind is a recipe for large convective snow showers and that’s even before we talk about Thames/Wash streamers. If this easterly (as long as it develops as currently shown) is dry I will run round my local park with my pants on my head!

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2018/anomnight.2.19.2018.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

Erm meto forecast entirely different than the bbc when it comes to precipitation. Have a look at the text in the outlook ?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/forecast/gcpu7tnmn#?date=2018-02-20

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe the beeb will be correct, we just don't know yet but it seems odd not to mention the risk.

I thought someone posted the other day that they are using a lower resolution version of the ECM, so maybe it's not very good at picking up convection.