Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Have you been on there website there already releasing press releases about the coming cold spell!!!

Ahead of schedule ?

10 minutes ago, shotski said:

That’s not strictly true, they obviously have a much better understanding than us of the models and have access to far more data. 

Simply, they won’t tout any severe cold until they are 100 % sure it will happen. If they call a big freeze with disruption and it doesn’t happen the implications could be massive for them. I’d imagine they will start putting out tentative warnings come the end of the week. 

BBC forecasts on the other hand are a bit of a joke, may as well look at an app past 3 days. 

You said APP ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well one more day of horrid drizzle then hopefully we will see a drier flow move in from the continent though it will be slack. So variable cloud and a mix of sunshine with overnight frost and fog. It looks like the weekend will be when the easterly starts to crank up with a few showers before the deep cold potentially arrives by Monday. 

It is coming, this time.... :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
8 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Well one more day of horrid drizzle then hopefully we will see a drier flow move in from the continent though it will be slack. So variable cloud and a mix of sunshine with overnight frost and fog. It looks like the weekend will be when the easterly starts to crank up with a few showers before the deep cold potentially arrives by Monday. 

It is coming, this time.... :cold:

#springonhold 

Posted
1 hour ago, snowking said:

Just the smallest hint of the unspeakable "TS" word off the back of that 12z ECM run

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2018021912_240_5137_108.thumb.png.836e15da9e607008c0a7b13ba750f00b.png

Though nothing especially impressive totals wise it should all of course be taken with a huge dollop of salt at this range

It would be tenfold that 4cm imo in places I don’t have any interest in these charts. Not only Thames Streamer there’d also be a risk of Thunder Snow, steep lapse rates.... frequent, heavy, snow shower heaven! 

• Like 3

Posted

Thinking about stocking milk, bread, salt and other things right now before everyone else catches wind of the beast.

• Like 2

So the huge snow event is still on ? Ok who wants to set up a shop ? Sid has the hay covered ... lassie has the bounty bars and cats covered ... can’t remember who had the salt ( I only got cooking salt ) Jenny is a great cook , captain has the shortwaves , yamkin has the beast coming ... so let’s party ( sorry missing others out it’s not personal ) x

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

So the huge snow event is still on ? Ok who wants to set up a shop ? Sid has the hay covered ... lassie has the bounty bars and cats covered ... can’t remember who had the salt ( I only got cooking salt ) Jenny is a great cook , captain has the shortwaves , yamkin has the beast coming ... so let’s party ( sorry missing others out it’s not personal ) x

Well I need to stock up on dog food crickets and hoppers,  I already got plenty of cat food. Loads of chocolate, even Easter eggs from last year ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Well I need to stock up on dog food crickets and hoppers,  I already got plenty of cat food. Loads of chocolate, even Easter eggs from last year ?

Can we split the chocolate... I can try catch some crickets lol ... my hubby used to have a chilli rose when we was younger used to let it crawl up my arm  .... till I threw a chair at hubby ... missed and caught the spiders tank :( 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

God I really hope this verifies, living 6 miles from the North Sea Snow machine it has been 8 long years since the last Thundersnow here after 2 episodes in 2009 and 2010.

I just want to make a video like this one below :rofl:

Jim Cantore is a legend! I enjoyed watching him on The Weather Channel on my frequent work trips to the States. A true weather enthusiast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Likes hot weather. Don't like the cold.

Hi, I don't post much on this forum but have been a member for a few years, but, I feel that as it looks as if we are in for extreme weather conditions, I thought it might be an idea to advise people of what they can do to prevent freeze ups to their domestic water supplies by making sure all water pipes are lagged, turning off outside water pipes and draining down. It used to be the done thing to put a matchbox underneath the loft hatch so that some warmth could get into the loft.There must be other folks reading this forum who can offer advice regarding looking after your homes. And don't forget the wildlife, and elderly friends and neighbours.

I am lucky enough to remember 1962/3 winter, was great to start with but after a week or two of freezing conditions we were fed up with it, even the horse drawn milk float couldn't get up our road. 

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Whilst today has seen a return of the gloomy drizzle laden conditions here, the previous 4 days were a tantalising and welcome glimpse of early Spring.

From last Thursday through to Sunday daytime maxes were 9-10c. Nothing too exciting I grant you, but when coupled with the lightest of breezes and between 6 and 8 hours of relatively strong sunshine each day it was enough to cheer me up.

On 17/02/2018 at 21:12, Steve Murr said:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, yamkin said:

5a8b39c43e890_PanicBuyingAlert.thumb.PNG.8dc440d5422da9182c8adb2002832f1f.PNG  5a8b39da13944_PanicBuyingFood.thumb.PNG.853a56c4e9439cc39a98a8be498d2f69.PNG

Heard the first mention of the possibility of very cold weather incoming on LBC radio this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Can we split the chocolate... I can try catch some crickets lol ... my hubby used to have a chilli rose when we was younger used to let it crawl up my arm  .... till I threw a chair at hubby ... missed and caught the spiders tank :( 

The crickets are for the leopard gecko , the hoppers are for his Mexican red knee. Tarantula. I spray it’s tank but that’s as far as I go lol. All my girls are frightened of it haha.  It’s a good way to evacuate the room and have some peace and quite ?

Posted

all,i say  bit confushed .com  with julie on lookeast  what do the bbc know which we dont all the models saying cold  with snow  , julie  +5 spring !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Recent model tweet after ECM ensembles from Fergie and still rather cautious (there's a surprise) - on outcome of cold and snow totals as he says the model 'over plays' snow amounts and says a number of members have turned to a northerly from the 1st March - make of that what you will.

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Heard the first mention of the possibility of very cold weather incoming on LBC radio this afternoon. 

Yep you can bet the shelves will look like that as soon as they here the words easterly nailed lol  

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Recent model tweet after ECM ensembles from Fergie and still rather cautious (there's a surprise) - on outcome of cold and snow totals as he says the model 'over plays' snow amounts and says a number of members have turned to a northerly from the 1st March - make of that what you will.

Europe are not even following there own model, they are waiting for a back track from the ecm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
Just now, tinybill said:

all,i say  bit confushed .com  with julie on lookeast  what do the bbc know which we dont all the models saying cold  with snow  , julie  +5 spring !!

Forget it mate...watching that Julie on look east is like watching paint dry...BBC are ALWAYS cautious when it comes to possible snow and cold, they won't 'firm' up until at least another couple of days when we have almost cross model agreement within 3/4 days...

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Yep you can bet the shelves will look like that as soon as they here the words easterly nailed lol  

Luckily i always keep a few canned goods in stock so even if by some chance everything is gone in the supermarket on friday, i'll get by for a few days and bird can have tinned fish and cat food, even though its not his favourite.

Posted
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'm going to start this off...........I think the Daisy Express front page headline sometime this week will read:

Mummy & Daddy Beasts From The East Are On The Way To Unleash Uncontrollable Blizzards Along With Bone Crushing -20C Windchill :cold:

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Forget it mate...watching that Julie on look east is like watching paint dry...BBC are ALWAYS cautious when it comes to possible snow and cold, they won't 'firm' up until at least another couple of days when we have almost cross model agreement within 3/4 days...

i  find the weather  on bbc  news  24  9 55 for the week and longer is a good lead

Posted
3 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Luckily i always keep a few canned goods in stock so even if by some chance everything is gone in the supermarket on friday, i'll get by for a few days and bird can have tinned fish and cat food, even though its not his favourite.

I don’t mind running out of tinned and cupboard as the deep freezer is nicely stocked. I think my lot would be complying about who used all the toilet roll, I’m sure they eat it with the rate they go through it ?

Posted

When the first flake of snow falls, Southern Rail will stop all trains because their drivers will be doing this :rofl:

5a8b3dc84509a_JustSeenASnowflake.thumb.PNG.d41c98f56386df3ebc1ad8ff74344975.PNG

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1